Midwest/ZooToo Shelter Makeover!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two new videos posted on Zootoo:

http://www.zootoo.com/makeover/

I personally think it's good that Midwest has so much time to prepare for the site visit. Watching the videos and reading Topcats journal provides a lot of good info to use to prepare for our site visit.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Two new videos posted on Zootoo:

http://www.zootoo.com/makeover/

I personally think it's good that Midwest has so much time to prepare for the site visit. Watching the videos and reading Topcats journal provides a lot of good info to use to prepare for our site visit.
Wow, Voorhees really looks to be the neediest so far, Still, they have rooms and bathrooms. DAWS has has a big place that is certainly the best of what's been shown. Can't see that theyare so needy.

Wondering if it would help to add a national flare to the event. Support by the bunderground railroad, assistance to other shelters in the country, examples of out of state rescue assistance etc. to differentiate Midwest from the other shelters that are really local shelters. To show that the needs of rabbits are so great in comparison to the resources, that it takes a nation wide effort, in part because local efforts often concentrate on the needs of dogs and cats.

That house rabbits are in need of the national focussed pr as well as the resources.

I am not sure how to spin this, but it might help to give a little background showing that house rabbits are expensive to care for properly. Many of the mixed species shelters just stick the rabbits in a cat kennel with a bowl of alfalfa pellets and a sippy bottle. Greens and hay are expensive and time consuming to feed, and good quality pellets are expensive too, maybe you could get some mileage out of that as a way to differentiate Midwest and educate zootoo at the same time.

It may be too late, but is there any chance you can get some support from Oxbow or American Pet Diner? I am sure they'd love the exposure of an event like this.

Have there been any shelters you have taken rabbits from that could not keep them due to overcrowing or like? Perhaps they can send a pic and letter or note of support?

Rabbits taken in from out of town hoarding situations?

OF course I do mean the emphasis should be how Midwest serves those other rabbit shelters, takes in shelters that are shuffled by the bunderground, may use the bunderground to place rabbits, and how its location in the midwest can best serve the national rabbit community in such widespread efforts.

The more I think about it the more I think that shelter networking angle is a more cutting edge philosophy used by rabbit people more than other shelters.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Laura: Anything new on the site visit plans???

Hi ladies and gents! We had another meeting on Sunday and we have had to rework our plans for the news conference because our beloved City isn't giving us as much help as we'd hoped. We are now looking for an indoor venue that is close to the shelter and I think we've got it lined up, but it will cost us some more money to do it that way. But, it will all work out. No worries! Ughghghghg

We have found out that they are flying in the night before and they want the news conference to begin at 9:30AM and then they are leaving at 2:00PM, so we actually have quite a bit of time with them I think.

We're planning to create some gift baskets for their hotel rooms (vegan snacks for Wayne, of course) and we've got a committee together for the signs. We meet this weekend to create the signs and banners. We're planning to make everyone wear the bunny ears in the crowd and we also have our bunny float that we use in parades. She will be there to greet the judges!

I think it is going as well as can be expected. Our volunteers are syked and we have cleaning crews in the building from Saturday through Wednesday evening that will be putting in some long hours to get all the nooks and crannys cleaned up and our place looking organized even if there are little bunny poo poos on the floor.

I'm exhausted mentally, but I just keep telling myself it's only another week or so. I also decided to take vacation time a couple days leading up to the event and that Thursday as well so I'm not stressed out trying to figure out how I'm going to squeeze everything in. It will be fine, but I'll be glad when this part of it is over!!!:biggrin2:

Laura

foxflower wrote:
OF course I do mean the emphasis should be how Midwest serves those other rabbit shelters, takes in shelters that are shuffled by the bunderground, may use the bunderground to place rabbits, and how its location in the midwest can best serve the national rabbit community in such widespread efforts.

Foxflower,

We have already talked amongst ourselves about inviting our counterparts at theLOCAL animalshelters that we deal with so they can support us and we can show our appreciation to them for working with us. I think that is the right thing to do. Whether or not they will be able to come, who knows, but we are putting the invites out there and hopefully they will come.

Laura

Ooh! I think the gift baskets should include Craisins and have hay on the bottom for packing!

Actually, just thought of this... how many gift baskets do you need to make? And would you like little bunny angel ornaments like the ones I made for the SRR Christmas fundraiser? Haley has a couple of those.If you want them, they'reeasy for me to make and I could ship it express or something.

Edit: I think I had mentioned to Haley that I might make a box of those for Midwest this summer and ship them to you to sell at events and such. So you were going to get some anyway, LOL! Pictures:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=30238&forum_id=7

naturestee wrote:
Ooh! I think the gift baskets should include Craisins and have hay on the bottom for packing!

Actually, just thought of this... how many gift baskets do you need to make? And would you like little bunny angel ornaments like the ones I made for the SRR Christmas fundraiser? Haley has a couple of those.If you want them, they'reeasy for me to make and I could ship it express or something.

Edit: I think I had mentioned to Haley that I might make a box of those for Midwest this summer and ship them to you to sell at events and such. So you were going to get some anyway, LOL! Pictures:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=30238&forum_id=7
Naturestee,

I think the ornaments is a great idea! I've been told there are six people coming, but I don't know if we're making six identical baskets. I will ask and get back in touch with you. That is such a wonderful idea!

Laura

slavetoabunny wrote:
It sound like your plans are starting to come together. I would love to see a picture of your float if you have time to post it.

Are you planning on coming to Orlando? Keep us updated - I sure wish I could be there.

Patti

Patti,

I will try to find a picture of her and send it to you. I don't have any myself, but I'll ask around.

I don't know about Orlando. Depends who else is going to plan to go. We haven't even talked about it as a group yet. I'm kind of overwhelmed these days and can't seem to think past April 24th. I'm quite sure I'm going to collapse the weekend following their visit!! hahahahah

I think Jill said that she wants to go and she has family that lives in Florida, so she was very excited about it!

Laura

Latest posts

Back