Max is wheezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep your head up Haley. I just hope that he isn't suffering. It must sound horrible when he wheezes like that, but I hope that its just sound and he is not struggling too much. Poor little guy. Give him a "pet" for me.

I hope Max feels better soon. The poor little boy. I just want to snuggle with him. All my love to you and the boys.:kiss:Oh, and a nose rub from Drizzle (nose rubs all around!) :bunny5

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I dont think he's suffering, just very uncomfortable. He is still active as ever and eating like a little piggy.

Today has been a good day. I was able to suction a good bit of snot out of his nose. His wheezing varies so much from day to day.

I'll keep you guys posted...:pray:

Hi Haley,

I am thinking of you and Max.I really hope his breathing gets better soon.

You take such wonderful care of him, he is very lucky tohave such an attentive bunny mum.:hug2:

Well, we just got home a while ago. I dont feel like we really got anywhere, which is frustrating.

The vet took a look at the xrays. He said he really didnt see too much of a problem in the nose. He said its a little shaded in that area, bu the didnt think it was dark enough to be a tumor or abscess.

With regards to the teeth xrays, he said Max's teeth/tooth roots look great. They are all very straight and none of them looked overgrown or anything. He also said he didnt really think it was the abscess area causing all this trouble. I swear the area is growing though.

It feels like all we're doing is the same thing over and over and not getting anywhere. He wants to continue the nose drops bc he thinks they are helping. Also continue with baytril. He also wants to keep up with the nebulizer to help with breathing.

He wants to do this for 2 weeks and if theres still no improvement, he willdo a scope into Max's nasal cavity to see for sure whats in there.

I told him how Max is choking when he eats/grooms and he said he thinks its because of his nasal problems. He said he can tell that Max is breathing a bit through his mouth to compensate and this is probably why we're getting that noise.

I told him also that Max was acting like the abscess area was painful. He felt around and said he didnt think the infection was back, as the area is all very hard and solid. He gave me somemetacam to give to Max if I notice its hurting.

Im so confused about everything. I guess I'll just trust his opinion and just keep doing whatever I can.

So sorry for you and Max. Does your vet know of anyone else that might be more specialized w/rabbits? Maybe a second opinion would do some good?Just a thought, I know you wouldn't want to step on your docs toes, bu tit has to be hard to be so frustrated w/ really not such great results. The poor thing. I hope all turns out well for you guys. :rose: :grouphug :goodluck:pray:

Well, we've actually been seeing 2 different vets (plus the vet dentist who did the surgery). Ive mainly been going to this one about an hour for me who is actually probably the best in this area for rabbits. I had been going to a local vet (all before the surgery) and I hadnt been back until last week when they did the xrays(and said it was nasal).

I think thats why this is so discouraging, because this guy is supposed to be the best and even he seems a bit clueless. Test after test and so many medications and nothing seems to really be working. :(

How's Max doing? Any difference with the Metacam?

Can you tell if there's any more swelling or pain (not masked by the Metacam)? Is he eating normally or favoring one side or the other?

Did the vet take a blood test, btw?

sas :pray:

Well, the wheezing seems to be better when he's on the nose drops/nebulizer.

He's eating fine. Ive been laying off the Metacam unless I see he's not eating. I dont want to use it if I dont have to. Im convincedthe lump on the jaw hasgrown lately, but my vet said it didnt seem any bigger. I dunno.

He didnt take any blood tests..do you think that he should?

Im going to give all this another week or so and then go back if need be.

I just think that you're in a better position to know if the lump is growing, although I guess it wouldn't be without a reason, and the vet does know what to look for. I justwould have liked to have seen a bit more attention paid to that.

I know that I took my badly limping cat into the vet, put her down on the floor to show the vet, and she didn't limp at all.:disgust: (Total waste of $50, thanks). I don't trust them to show pain in the vet's office.

And I think a blood test will show signs of an infection somewhere in the body, although I could be wrong.

Can somebody confirm that?

sas

poor max hope hes feeling better soon:(
i said a little prayer for him the last few nights i know how hard it is when a pet is sick :pray:

edited for:
type errors:shhhh:

I agree that you're in a better position to see if the lump is growing or not. I'm not sure how much an infection would affect temperature, because stress can change the temp too so it might be different at the vet's office. Blood work might be a good idea- I think they can test for amount of white cells which should show if there's an infection.

Haley,

I noticed that you said that Max is "choking" when he is grooming. Our Penny makes loud wheezing noises when she is grooming too, when she has to turn herwhole body to groom her back. I don't know, maybe they are just too chubby.:D

Does Max stop what he is doing when he is "choking" while grooming or does he just continue on?

Latest posts

Back