Max is wheezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Max is really not doing well. It seems to be getting worse. We did do a culture and its sensitive to baytril, but I think oral meds arent enough.

I forwarded my vet the info Pipp posted in the resource center on nebulization. We're going to try that I guess. I ordered the nebulizer online and it should be here monday or so. I just hope he can make it that long. He sounds really bad.

Please keep my little guy in your prayers. It just kills me seeing him suffer. :pray:

Thanks everyone

Jan, he was going to put him on another antibiotic until the results of the culture came back. We ended up not doing it because he seemed to ber esponding well to the baytril. Its weird bc he seemed to be improvinga bit for about 7-10 days, now he just seems to be going downhill.

The medicine that will go in the nebulizer will bea cocktail of an antibiotic (probably getamycin), saline, and mucomyst. Im going to build a chamber for Max, as I know he would not stand for wearing a mask.

Im just anxious for the equipment to get here...My poor little man

I actually found a great site where someone built one using a plastic storage container. I went out and bought everything today so that we're all ready when the compressor/nebulizer gets here. This is how Im going to set it up:

http://home.houston.rr.com/lundquist/Purrie/Nebulizer/Nebulizer.htm

A2.jpg

I just really hope it works bc I know he wont let me mask him ;)

ACK!! How did I miss this? I thought he was getting better, thought I'd post the nebulizer info anyway. :(

Poor Max, he must be so uncomfortable.:cry4:

I can't begin to tell you how much I'm hopinghe gets over this ASAP! Neither of you deserve any stress or illness. Max gives you so muchhappiness, and you give so much to so many otherbunnies on here. :hug2:

Come on Max, get better soon!

sas :pray:and the warren :pray::clover::pray: :clover::pray:

Thanks everyone. Hes just plopped down in front of the humidifier right now. I went and bought more vicks vaposteam today..I think that helps the most.

Basil is being such a good friend to him. We've all been giving him extra love and cuddles.

I keep a suction handy and use it every once in a while. I dont know i fit helps, but its about all I can do for now. He keeps making this weird noise (sounds like a vomit, which I know is not possible). I think its like cough or something. Like his body is trying to expel the phlem, but his nose is stuffy..

He doesnt seem to be getting any worse..just not getting any better :(

Sas, thanks so much for posting that nebulizer info. I really hope it helps. It sounds like people have had a lot of success with it. Heres hoping:pray:

Bunnies182-1.jpg

I ran across this while researching Metamucil, and noticed the paragraph about Slippery Elm Bark. That might be something else to check out.

Londo and Sweet Pea's Bunny Booster (by Pat Franklin) at:http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/bunnybooster.html

EDIT: The formatting is a nightmare, so there's the link and here's the important parts. (It may not help with the nasal part, but if it is a cough, it might provide a little more relief).

Sweet Pea has an enlarged heart which pushes on her lungs and makes her cough. She has made it plain to me that anything Londo has, she needs too and expects equal time being syringe-fed. So,I found that giving her Slippery Elm helped lubricate her bronchial tubes and relieve her cough. At the stage where she is now,after being diagnosed about a year ago, the most important thing for Sweet Pea is that she does not go into a persistent cough and this has really kept her cough to a minimum.

Excerpt:

3. To the above, add:

oSlippery Elm Bark, a 300 mg capsule (this can be sprinkled over greens too). It lives up to its name when moisture hits it. It becomes slippery and thick. *Slippery Elm can be used to help soothe many different types of digestive complaints, for example:

[*]
[align=justify]1. Inflammation of the gut.[/align]

[*]
[align=justify]2. Diarrhea - especially if mixed with a banana andp owdered herbal marshmallow (Althaea officinalis).[/align]

[*]
[align=justify]3. As a nutritive, Slippery Elm is a great food for debilitated states, and as a baby food.[/align]

[*]
[align=justify]4. It can also be useful for urinary infections.[/align]

[*]
[align=justify]5. To ease chest, lung and bronchialconditions.[/align]

That pic w/ Basil and Max is so cute. Max is so luckily to have Basil and you! :hug2:I hope that he's feeling better! Hopefully the nebulizer will greatly improve his condition and he can get back to his good ole' bunny self again! Lots of love from me and Drizzle :bunny5

Latest posts

Back