Max is wheezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score
So, Max's abscess seems to be healing well and he's getting used to the missing tooth. But of course he cant just be healthy, can he?

Last week he started wheezing pretty badly. I gave him some benadryl just in case it was his allergies. After about an hour or so he wasnt getting any better so I rushed him to the vet. Of course, when we got there the wheezing stopped. The vet thought maybe it was his allergies and the benadryl had helped. So he sent me home with instructions to continue allergy meds.

Max was fine over the weekend then started wheezing again Tuesday. The benadryl wasnt helping. I sifted out his hay, food, and dumped out the woody pet and switched him to care fresh (to cut down on any dust..the WP can get kinda dusty). He was still breathing heavily by last night. Wheezing and straining to breathe.

I took him in this am. The vet thinks that its an infection. There isnt much discharge (just a little clear, as usual) so he put him on an antibiotic. Since Max was on baytril for so long, we're trying Vibramycin this time. Its raspberry flavor though!

I really hope this works. I am so distraught. It seems like he has been in to see the vet once a week for the past 6 months. I so badly want him to be healthy.

Please keep my little man in your thoughts :pray:

:hug2:

I like the humidifier idea. When Lily (kitten, not bunny) had an upper respiratory infection and was wheezing I would bring her into the bathroom with me when I took my shower. I made sure the water was hot and I was in there a long time so the bathroom got really steamed up. She seemed to breathe better after this.

I know he'll get over all of this soon. Does he at least like the fancy raspberry flavored meds?

thanks guys.

I tried the shower thing last night when it got really bad. I didnt notice much of a difference but the humidifier is worth a shot. My mom has one I can borrow.

Yes, he does love the meds! Im so happy I switched vets. Its worth the longer drive. Basil is jealous bc he can smell the yummy medicine :)

Thanks Amy and Snuffles :)

I asked him about xrays to see if its anything to do with his lungs or heart or something. He said that since it comes and goes and seems to be related to his allergies, it might just be that his immune system is a bit weakened by the strain of allergies, making him a bit more susceptible to infection.

It really does sound like an upper respiratory infection. Were going to try this and see if we get anywhere..if hes not better in a few days(or if he gets worse, of course) we'll look at other options.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Haley

Haley, I'm so sorry to hear Max isn't feeling well.

I'll say a get well soon prayer for him.

Give him a Big Kiss from me and Daisy Mae (Don't tell Mr Tumnus though).

Soooska:apollo:

Offspring2099 wrote:
How loud is the wheezing, is it constant? Penny wheezes once in a while.
It was pretty bad! It sounded like his nose was all plugged up or something. I could see his head strain forward trying to get some more air. My poor little man.

Sooska...Max says thank Daisy Mae for the kisses. He wont tell Tumnus!

Haley wrote:
Offspring2099 wrote:
How loud is the wheezing, is it constant? Penny wheezes once in a while.
It was pretty bad! It sounded like his nose was all plugged up or something. I could see his head strain forward trying to get some more air. My poor little man.

Sooska...Max says thank Daisy Mae for the kisses. He wont tell Tumnus!
Oh man, I really never had a problem with that. Sending best wishes your way.

Haley, if his nose gets really bad like that, is there any way you could gently suction some of the snot out?

When I had the little baby foster who had an URI, I would suction the gunk out using a small eye dropper. He didn't enjoy it too much, but he did breath much better after.

The vet also recommended using a steamer with eucalyptus in it. I got a steamer at London Drugs for about $20, it was the vicks one. It had a spot for the vicks stuff, but I just used some eucalyptus instead, worked very well.

You're supposed to place the steamer close to the cage so he can breathe in the steam.

--Dawn

Dawn, funny you mentioned the eucalyptus, I have a very bad chest infection right now and am very wheezy at the moment. I was just talking to a friend who suggested I get eucalyptus and you a steamer also.

Haley I hope he starts to feel better soon.

Soooska:apollo:

Doeseucalyptis come in like a cream so you can put it in the steamer? I might have to try that! Turns out my mom threw her humidifier out..guess I will have to go buy one. Its cheaper than another vet visit though.

I actually own a little suction for baby noses that I bought to keepin my bunny first aid kit. Ive tried using it on him a few times, but I dont think it really helps. I think the problem was deeper than the suction could get...

On a good note, he's breathing a lot better today. The meds must be working.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions. I get so stressed about the little guy. its nice to be able to come here and be reassured.

Love you guys :kiss:

The eucalyptus I found was in liquid form, and it was in the decongestion section in the pharmacy.

If you buy a new humidifer, to make sure to get one designed to distribute medicine in it. There will be a little spot to pour medicine into close to where the steam comes out.

I found with Wheezy that I had to get the eye dropper at just the right angle to get any suction. The tip has to be quite firmly (but still gently) held into the nose at such an angle that it can only suck from inside the nose and not air coming the other way.

Good luck, and let us know if a humidifier helps.

--Dawn

Okay, I just went and bought one! The vicks one was only 10.00 at Walmart. I had to convince my boyfriend that it was as good (or better) than the 40.00 humidifiers they had on sale. It works great. They didnt have any eucalyptus, so I bought the vics vapor stuff, it has eucalyptus in it.

Heres hoping this helps. If not, I'll still love having it just for me (I have asthma and it gets worse in winter).

Thanks for the tip Jordi wes & Dawn (and Sooska: go get one! I hope you feel better soon!)

The respiratory infections take unfortunately very a long time to cure. Does your rabbit keep the form, eat well?
Often several antibiotic should be tested. Do you know essential oils and the a�roso therapie to help Max?

Yeah, hes eating well and in great shape despite all his recent illnesses.

I think the vet was trying to keep the cost down for me by just putting him on an antibiotic. Can they even take cultures when its an URI? Theres not really much nasal discharge...

The vicks stuff seems to be working great. Hes still wheezing, but it has lessened. It sounds more like its loosening up or something. If that makes sense.

I'll keep you all posted. Please keep my little man (and angieluv's Babette) in your prayers. Must be cold season for the bunnies :)

Latest posts

Back