Major Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the beauty of Nutrical. You can put a dab on his paw and he'll lick it off. :) Won't hyrdrate him, but he'll get the same nutrients as the slurry. (Andthere's always the Sub Q infusion for the hydration).

sas

Most pet stores carry Nutrical. It's the kind for cats and/or dogs. You just squeeze out about an inch of it and smoosh it on his forepaw. If you don't smoosh it, he'll flick it off.

peteys doing better today...he's eating hay on his own and drinking on his own..late last night he did a little pile of poop.. mom just went out to get nutrical,bananas,applejuice, and papaya.. she's also going to stop by and talk to the vet again

*Like Laura posted....Make sure you smear the Nutrical on the inside of his paw(s). My buns all try to flick it off.

If you'd like to try to prompt him to eat a bit more, try some parsley. You can wet it to add some liquid. I've used it for this purpose several times with good results.

I believe Nutrical has a laxative type ingredient in it, too.....cod liver oil I think?

~Jim

*Hey Laura...I still have pumpkin and Nutrical stains on the ceiling from S'more.

peteys still been eating some hay.. we've got some poop now so thats good.. he also ate some banana and a little piece of pinneapple.. i gave him the nutrical and he immediately cleaned it all of his paw..so that wont be a problem with him.. he wouldnt take his medicine from a syringe anymore, so im just wiping it on his paw now to

i bought papaya today,but he wouldnt eat any

Yay! that's great! If he's eating hay, it shouldn't be a problem with cleaning his insides out :D. Is there any fur in the poop? I know when Pepsi was passing the fur blockage the poop was connected with a thick braid of fur andthe poopwas very dry and full of fur. I'm so glad he's eating hay! :D

definately a relief..he ate some of his pellets last night..and he's still eating his hay and drinking his water... hes still pooping pretty good..just not as much as usual yet..

Oh, I am SO relieved to hear your little Petey is doing better now. I was so worried...my computer puked again, so I wasn't able to see how he was doing, and I thought about him the whole time. So glad he's doing better...:)

:bunnydance::bunnydance:

thanks maherwoman... we really appreciate that.. it seems like petey is just having good days and bad days.. thursday he wasnt eating..friday he was eating..and today he didnt eat alot either.. but he was pooping

Know what you mean...it's been kinda back and forth with Maisie, too. She has quite the mountain of poop now, though, I have to say! Hope your baby does soon, too. :)

When Rabbits or any pet starts to shed - ya, gotta brush them good!! Rabbit lick them selves as "cleaning" and all that loose dead fur can form a hair ball. Which may be the reason why she's not eating. Unfourtuantly, unlike dogs and cats, Rabbit can't cough them up, so the hair ball is forced to be pooped out. If she's not pooping, that's the sighn that could very likely be that it has clogged the digestive track. Hair balls are probably the most common death in domesticated rabbits - especially whith ones whith long thick fur. I'd reccomend getting this issue checked out immediantly. Some pets stores have "hair ball breaking down medicine" which is a liquid that is put in the Rabbit's water bottle that helps break down the hair. Has she been drinking well?

yeah hes doing better.. he went to the vet thurs.. they gave him some laxatone... and he's gradually been getting better everyday..

i did brush him when he started shedding.. i was brushing him everyday.. then wednesday when i was brushing him his hair just started coming out in chunks leaving bald spots.. he stopped eating wednesday and we took him to the vet thursday

Bald spots shouldn't be a worry if you ask me, for that my bird and my cousin's dog would have patches of missing fur - it'll grow back.
One thing though, if he's itching and constantaly scratching it or biting it, this could be a sighn of a skin irritation. My Miniture Collie ***** whent through this and she had a big bald spot on her rump.
When Bun-Bun goes through that winter-shed when spring arrives, it's absoutly horrible. Hair every where you couldn't come out of my room whith out tracking hair in the rest of the house.
One thing I did, was I took Bun-Bun out side in the middle of the back yard, and just ruffled the dead fur from him. Just rub your hands all over him and the fur will become even looser for you to just whipe off or pick off. Put a towl over his head, though, you don't whant hair to get in his eyes or nose.

Back