Major Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JimD wrote:
With the water content in the parsley, romaine, and pineapple.... he may tend to drink a little less.
i gave him all that stuff after he wasnt drinking for a long time, but hopefully thats what it is.. he only ate a few veggies yesterday though

Do you have any papaya? Dried, fresh, or tablets?

Our bunnies get a daily ration when they have heavy shed/molt going on. It seems to work like prunes do with humans.

Maybe some will help things move along for the little guy.

~Jim

i looked for papaya yesterday at the store..but couldnt find any...not dried ,fresh or anything:?...the only thing i have right now is pinneapple,pumpkin,romaine,parsley,and carrots..i havent given him any pumkin yet because im waiting for it to thaw out after being frozen for awhile

oh i also have peaches,aplles and apple sauce...would peaches be ok to give him?i know he likes peaches

You might want to syringe feed him a pellet slurry. Just a little bit, he doesn't need much. You can make it yourself (instead of using something like Critical Care) by crushing some of his pellets into a powder and mixing that with some water or pedialyte. You can also add pumpkin or finely shredded veggies like parsley. It might help since he's not eating much fiber. You only need to give him a teaspoon (one CC) at a time several times a day, although you can feed more if he wants it.

You could try dipping some strands of hay in water and seeing if he takes it? Pepsi always ate hay if it was dipped with wate.

Hope you see some poops soon!

peapoo_bunny wrote:
i looked for papaya yesterday at the store..but couldnt find any...not dried ,fresh or anything:?...the only thing i have right now is pinneapple,pumpkin,romaine,parsley,and carrots..i havent given him any pumkin yet because im waiting for it to thaw out after being frozen for awhile

oh i also have peaches,aplles and apple sauce...would peaches be ok to give him?i know he likes peaches
I buy mine at the pet store. It's actually in the bird section. It's dried papaya.

Kaytee makes some, but it's multi-colored....ok to use I guess, but I just can't get used to blue pieces of papaya:?

My farmers market also carries it in the dried form with no sugar added.

Pumpkin is not only a good source of fiber, it's got lots of liquid in it, too. A double-edged-blade so to say.

Baby food...a great thing to keep on hand for the buns.I was able to find Peaches&Pumpkin at the store last time. They LOVE the banana baby food....don't know if it's any benefit to them though.:?

he ate some pellet/pumkin slurry about an hour ago.. most of it just got on his face, but i think he swallowed some of it.. he does not want to swallow anything from a syringe... he just keeps it in his mouth and wont swallow it..spits it out sometimes..he is really messy now

peapoo_bunny wrote:
he ate some pellet/pumkin slurry about an hour ago.. most of it just got on his face, but i think he swallowed some of it.. he does not want to swallow anything from a syringe... he just keeps it in his mouth and wont swallow it..spits it out sometimes..he is really messy now

S'more does the same thing...holds it in her cheek until she gets a chance to spit it out. Carolyn thought I was crazy when I told her this..

J: "She spits it out"

C: "She does not!"

J: "Does to!"

C: "Not!"

That's when Idiscovered that if I left the syringe in and moved a bitit wouldmake her swallow.
Different techniques for different bunnies.

im getting so frustrated with this..im getting really worried about him...petey still refuses to eat or drink.... when i try to syringe feed him he spits most of it out..im afraid if he doesnt eat something more its going to be bad:(..i just went down there and there was some poop.. more than hes been doing.. i guess its from what he ate yesterday..today he hasnt eaten much of anything.. except a tiny bit of pellet slurry

what else can i do? ive tried everything i can think of... pumpkin,romaine lettuce,parsley, pinneapple, wet hay,pellet slurry, applesauce,apple,carrot,yogurt drops,corn,oats

Just keep trying. Try sticking with one thing that you know he usually likes. And if he's still like this in the morning, give your vet a call again.

What meds was he on?

Oh, and heat can make him feel more comfortable. So get out a rice sock or a warm towel, maybe it will help.

the only meds he is on is a laxative..but ive read online that laxatives arent necessary.. our vet just gave it to him for three days.. when we went to the vet we couldnt tell by the xrays what kind of blockage it was..there was definately some hair, but not sure what else.. so we decided to give him laxative and wait..the only other treatments there are for him right now is giving him some medicine(?) that shows up on xraysand then taking a series of xrays over a period of time..that would tell us if things are moving through him..and what all is blocked.. the other option was a surgery that doesnt have a very good success rate...our vet has done it several times before and the outcome isnt always good

tomorrow we're calling the vet to see what he thinks about petey.. and we're going to try to get some critical care...

ill also get something warm for petey

I feel so bad for you :(.

Don't get discouraged, just try to stay calm. Is he active? Try giving him as much exercise as possible, it will really help. Try to get him moving. You could also try masaging his belly. I'd focus mainlyon keeping him hydratedand the fiber intake up. The fact that he's pooping if fantastic, that means he's atleastpassing something.

Hope he gets better soon!

Do you have simethicone at home? If his gut isn't moving then he might have some gas issues from it. Also painkillers would be a good idea. You can give baby aspirin if you need to.

Your vet has to be careful with this, but GI stimulants can help. It really depends on where the blockage is and how bad it is.

As I understand it, normally the blockage is the symptom, not the cause, so the treatment is more geared to the cause. And the other problem is something like laxatone (?) will coat the mass and may let it move through more easily, but it will also keep it from getting hydrated whichallows the massand the fiber to movethrough more naturally.

So I assume that if it really is a hairball (rare, but given Petey's hair loss, quite possible), the laxotone might help. (I would think hydrating the mass and THEN lubricating it would be the ticket, but that's just a guess).

If he's pooping, that's great. If he's not eating, you may have toget something in the syringe that he doesn't want tospit out -- make the slurry mix sweet enough that he wants to eat it.

Abetter bet would be Nutrical, which is easier to feed and will keep his strength up.

If you put a lot of apple juice in his water bowl will he drink it?

Goodluck with the little guy!

sas :expressionlesset al

this is so stressful..im really glad ive got rabbit people on here to talk about it

im out of applejuice..so i havent trried that...and im also out of banana so i havent tried that either..

i tried putting a little vanilla in his water but that didnt work either

i just gave him his last dose of laxative..he put up a huge struggle and i almost didnt get him to take it..i doubt he's going to want to swallow anything else for awhile.. i really need to find something he'll eat..ive tried all his favorite but nothings worked

My bunnies hate vanilla.

No juice in the house?

How about honey?

You should try and get some Nutrical. Maybe ask the vet (or a pet store) for some in the morning?

sas

Back