Major Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peapoo_bunny

Reaction score
petey started shedding ALOT yesterday.. he's losing chunks of fur.. has a bald spot.. not eating his carrots this week.. not drinking as much as usual ..and not eating as much pellets.. but is eating his hay.. im going to take him to the vet when i take Slinky for her surgery and peapoo for her checkup (before her spay).. any suggestions on what i need to do?

heres part of the bald spot

one more pic.. you can see at the bottom how long his hair normally is..and then its really short right above that.. to the right of his tail he has a bald spot about the size of 2 quarters (cant see it in the pic)

Pernod has been having a serious moult for weeks now. I too noticed bald patches and had her at the vet yesterday. It cost £20 ($36) just for him to say she is fine :?(did give her a thorough check over, though)! I guess we are just born to worry ;). Hopefully, there is nothing wrong with Petey either.

Jan

Generally, the new coat is coming in as the old one is molting out and we normally don't see bald spots. However, everybunny is different ;) Watch closely for signs of new hair growth over the next week.

A heavy molt stresses the rabbit's system. Make certain to provide plenty of hay and some greens (very small amounts if rabbit isn't used to getting greens).Watch for any signs of GI stasis and act immediately if signs are noted.

Pam

this morning petey had several more bald spots and wasnt eating/drinking/pooping.. so we took him to the vet..they checked him and did xrays..turns out he has a blockage and gas.. he's staying at the vet today... theyre giving him medicine and hopefully he'll start pooping by this afternoon.. if he doesnt chances are he'll have to have surgery.. and the chances of the surgery working arent the best...so we're hoping for some poop today! please pray for petey!

just called the vet.. petey is pooping a little bit.. and he ate a bite of timothy hay.. this is definately better than he has been acting:bunnydance:.. we're fixing to go pick him up and get his medicine:D

I would have sent you guys love and hugs, had my computer not pooped out!! Poor little Petey!! I'm so happy to hear he's home now, though!! YAY!!!

:bunnydance::bunnydance: Maisie and Flower do a Happy Bunny Dance for sweet Petey!! (Maisie does hers a bit gently, as she still has gas from her eating the dustbroom...Stinker!)

Oh, poor Petey. How is he doing now? Is he drinking at all?

Pam, this is the first time I've noticed bald patches, but Pernod had an exceptionally thick coat this winter. She gets unlimited hay, grass, and has a few greens every day. So far, no change in pooping and she is still full of energy :)

I hope Petey gets back to normal soon. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you :hug1

Jan

Our lop boy has really bad sheds too. Whenever he starts shedding we watch him like a hawk. The first major shed he had he went into stasis and started to go shocky on us. So now we watch for the tiniest signs! I think he just likes to worry his mom and dad! ;)

Here's hoping Petey works that nasty hair thru his system!!:bunnydance: Poor boy!

petey drank a bunch of water about an hour ago.. other than that he's eaten a piece of pinneapple,some parsley,and a tiny bit of timothy hay.. almost 2 1/2 hrs and no poop yet

Eep! I must have missed this last night! How's he doing this morning?

Is he eating? If he hadn't eaten for a while before the vets then it might be some time before you see many poops, but if he's eating on his own then that's good. If he hasn't eaten anything on his own for over 12 hours then you'll want to syringe feed him, just a teaspoon or so at a time.

Is he drinking much? Can you feed him some wet veggies or give him flavored water? The biggest problem with blockages is that they get dehydrated and get hard. Water can help soften them and make them easier to pass. That's why fluids are usually pushed more than food.

his bowl was empty this morning..and it looks like he drank it instead of spilling it this time.. he ate some wet parsley yesterday...ill be giving him some more in a little while...and try some romaine t

Come on, Petey. You can do it, sweetie.

Have you tried giving him Nutrical? It really helped boost Toby's appetite last month when he went through this.

:pray:

had to syringe some water into him today..he's stopped drinking on his own now:(..he ate a piece of parsley and a few pieces of wet romaine and a small bite of pinneapple..i had to make him eat that..but thats about it..hes not eating as much today as he was yesterday..at least yesterday he was eating a little bit on his own...he seems to be going downhill:tears2:

no i havent tried nutrical or critical care..dont have any right now and im not able to get to the store today...here alone for now

Back