Lump under chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jenny, he is eating pellets just spotted him tucking into Houdinis, has had many but he is eating them. I have Metacam but it's what I used when he was poorly a few months ago and I understand that once it's opened, you can only keep it 14 days. He seemed a bit warm earlier but he's just been running about so he seems ok. The jab was a bit nerve wracking, I was so scared to do it wrong and he wasn't as still as I thought he would be but I managed to do it. They do pick up on our state so I must remember to be very calm the next time.

Well back from our visit today, more jabs, she drained again another 12ml and I have to give him another jab tonight. We will probably do the xray this week and also she may decide on cutting and draining depending how it goes at the beginning of this week. He has lost weight, about 60g so I will be free feeding him veggies and I may make a mush with his pellets tonight to see if he will eat them that way as he is nibbling a few but not very many. Back again tomorrow morning, it´s our little routine now :nod

Glad to hear Bandy still seems fine. If you give him mushy pellets and he does not eat them on his own it might help if you could get a little into his mouth, just enough for him to get a taste and realize it is good. At least that is what I would do. We know how picky they can be at times especially trying something new.

Ellie won't eat mushy pellets, even though she loves pellets. Its really weird.
I hope you don't have to start force feeding him, its hard to do. But if you do, I've found that using a smaller syringe is easier on them.

I'm glad he's mostly doing fine! Just keep pushing that hay and those greens and hopefully he'll continue to eat. I think about him all the time!

Haven't tried the pellets yet as I've just got home butI will do some later on. He had lots of basil when he got home from the vets and he is eating those well. I will have to stock up on herbs and green leaved salads. As the vet will be seeing him every day if I need to start feeding critical care she will tell me.

PS Morgan I think all these good thoughts and good vibes are doing him so much good, thank you to everyone :)

Another vet visit this morning and another antibiotic and metacam jabs. I have just given him another antibiotic jab just now before bed. He has to go back tomorrow for his xray to see exactly what the problem is but she did say today thst she id draining fluid but it is refilling so looks likely she will cut opren but we'll know more tomorrow. Have bought loads of stuff today for him to ear as he's off pellets, lots of herbs (basil,dill,coriander,parsley,rosemary plant) plus carrot tops, celery leaves, endives, watercress and green leaved salad. My fridge is full. I need to download pics of plants they can eat as I need to go foraging. What we do for our fluff balls :p

I hope he starts to feel better soon. It's a good thing though that he can eat veggies and I'm sure he's enjoying being spoiled even more than usual.

I agree, its good that hes still eating veggies! I agree also that he probably does like being spoiled with all his favorite things!

I hope that everything goes well at the vets office tomorrow!

Back again from another vet visit and must admit a bit stressed out today. No xray but she did make a cut in the abscess to drain more and did it come out and stinky. She got out as much as she could and packed it with honey. Problem is I need to drain some more this afternoon and pack again which could be extremely difficult on my own but I will try. I may ask my friend who looks after the bunnies to see if he can help or ring another friend to see if he can come over. I have also had to separate Bandy from Snowy as the wound is open, hate doing it but no choice. Tried putting him with Houdini but they are chasing and nipping so I can't risk it when I go out. So a quick rearranging of the panels for now to accomodate the three separately. Have to go out for a few hours this afternoon so hope they will all be ok. Second pic is the two of them in the carrier.

1395229795774.jpg

1395229833391.jpg

That last picture of them is just the sweetest!

Sorry they have to be separated, but is it for the best! I hope that draining the abscess like this is more helpful. Poor little lad!

They are just best buddies. She says that is farbetter than having to operate, just more complicated for me. He doesn't seem too bad, eating veggies and nose bonking Snowy and Houdini through the bars.

Bandy does seem to be a trooper. I hope you can get a friend to help as I'm sure trying to keep him still and doing what you have to could be quite difficult. Hopefully it will start to heal quicker with the draining and ya'll can put this behind you.

The neighbour who looks,after them is coming to help with the first one but not sure if will be,able to do the night one. Difficult to do on own as he us a wriggler. I do hope this moves it to get better quicker.

Try wrapping him in a warm towel or blanket! Pop it in the dryer, if you can? I don't know if you have a dryer!
When I was having to give Ellie fluids, I would wrap her up in a warm blanket on top of a warm towel and she would stay put, sort of melted into the blanket. Maybe if you can warm them up for Bandy, he'll want to stay in them.

Yes I do have a dryer. I was going to try and bunny burrito him. Sure I will figure something out

Well managed to drain and pack the wound once yesterday. Later he was just moving too much. Vet this morning and xray done. The abscess has affected the bone but not too much so there is hope it will clear with treatment. His bottom teeth look long but that will wait until the abscess is cleared. It is smaller and the packing with honey is helping. However I was asking about Penicilin G or Bicilin and we may start with those next week if there is a slow down in improvement. He is still eating, pooping and quite lively so am thankful for that. Back again tomorrow, am getting quite used to our daily visits.

Keep visiting that mush and they might offer you a job. :)

Is that real honey you are using ? I know honey is supposed to kill bacteria so it would make sense.

At least it would be interesting !!

Yes. real honey, I'm using ecological honey, wish I could get some straight from the bees or manuka but it does seems to be doing some good. It's going in 3 or 4 times a day. Am finally getting the hang of it. I remember they were packing Gosling's wound with it. I am becoming quite the vet nurse with all this treatment and the jabs.

It sounds like things are going really well with the abscess. I'm glad it hasn't affected his jaw bone too much. I would think that now that it's been drained and you're keeping it cleaned out, that it should heal a lot better. Is the vet having you irrigate the wound with anything or are you just squeezing the puss out and filling with honey?

If you have the choice, I think bicillin is supposed to be more effective than just penicillin procaine, plus wouldn't need to be given everyday. I've read of other antibiotics working as well, like metronidazole, chloramphenicol, and azithromycin. Though I would be a bit nervous using azithromycin because I've read it can have nasty side affects. What antibiotic has the vet had him on so far?

That's great that Bandy's kept his eating up pretty good and is being such a good patient :) I'm sure it's a relief, and one less thing to worry about. I'm sad that you had to separate him and Snowy. Do they seem to be doing ok not being together?

Latest posts

Back