Lump under chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have got them separated. I now have a feeling it is Snowy so I've removed the litter trays and they are pooping in the corner where it was but no pees yet. Hope they do soon as once I know who it is I can put them together again.

I think she mentioned it can be really bad on their digestive system which is why she doesn't want to use it.

Just an update on the pee collection. I am sure that Bandy has the infection but collecting sufficient pee is so difficult, there is never enough. I am hoping that tonight I will get lucky. Having bunnies is certainly challenging lol. :p

Feeding lots of wet veggies helps. Now that the buns are temporarily pellet-free, I've been feeding lots of veg and yesterday Merlin peed on my bed 3 times in 10mins. I bet he at least half did it on purpose...but he had a lot of pee!

They get a,small amount of pellets and veggies twice a day. The colour of the pee seems to be better so not sure if it was,caused by medication.

Thanks for showing that article. I saw red pee in my bunnies' litter pans and I knew red pee was ok, but this just made me feel better about it.

Just an update on Bandy and the new abscess. It has grown a small amount but the vet is not worried at the moment and can´t tough it as it hasn´t come far enought to the surface. We are continuing with the bicilin injections but she will probably change them early next week just in case he is becoming resistant to this particular medication. He is still his old self, eating normally and has even put some weight on over the last few weeks.

I just read the updates on Bandy and am sorry to hear he needs more treatments. If it helps my I have two vets that have prescribed antibiotics to my rabbits. One has prescribed azithromycin to 3 different rabbits that I own and none of them got upset stomachs from it. My other vet prefers Convenia and has prescribed it 4 of my rabbits and none of them had stomach upset. I feed a lot of hay and all of them were eating well at the time so maybe thats why they didn't get sick from their antibiotics.

He is doing really well although the second abscess has grown but it´s under control. He´s back on his first antibiotic and is doing really well, eating as normal and no digestive problems. She changed from the bicilin as it looked as thought the abscess was becoming resistant to it. She was happy last week as it´s changing shape and getting softer so this week, we may be able to make an incision to start draining and my sister is bringing manuka honey over next week so I´m really hoping it is as good as everyone says. I am back down there tomorrow for follow up, last visit was on Friday and he´s been on antibiotics every 12 hours for the last 3 days. I will post again tomorrow with the outcome of the visit.

Good visit today and he's put on weight again. The abscess hasn't grown . Johanna syringed the abscess today to relieve pressure and to create a small opening. He is still on antibiotics every 12 hours, I am becoming an expert with needles. Just have to keep an eye on the abscess and next visit Friday.

Been off for a few weeks as nothing much was changing but yesterday she decided to lance it again and rinse out. Lots of pus came out but by today it had closed again so she made an incision, rinsed out and has inserted an antibiotic bead. So interesting today as he nurse was not in so I got to hold Bandy for the incision and treatment so could see first hand what was happening. I imagined the beads to be bigger or made of gel and they looked like grains of rice. Had a job getting it in but we did it and she has stapled it and it should react over 8 days. He is the best bunny ever for treatment. He hardly flinched during the treatment and has been great since then. He is stretched out so looks comfortable. He had a metacam jab and I have antibiotics for him every twelve hours and metacam in case he´s feeling uncomfortable. The abscess had not produced any further pus since yesterday and was considerable smaller after draining which she considered a good situation for putting in the antibiotic bead. I found it all fascinating, just wish I could have videoed it for you all. I really do like my vet, she is fantastic with Bandy, has a gut feeling for most things and is a lovely person on top of that. A bonus on leaving as there were two more owners with bunnies and I was able to sing her praises although they also said she is just great with all the bunnies. We will wait and see how he does. Three months of treatment on Friday but we are hanging in there, i knew it would be long haul but we will beat this. Have had to separate them again which is the only down side but I´m sure it won´t be for too long.

I never thought any rabbit would be so laid back about it. He stayed so still while she was opening the incision and placing the bead under the skin, she says he is the best bunny patient she has had :)

These abscesses are such long haul things, but you both are hanging in there and handling it really well. Bandy sounds like the model patient :) It will be interesting to see what the results are with the antibiotic bead.

I'm really glad you have a vet that you feel good about treating your buns. That's always a relief not to have that to worry about too.

Come on Bandy, we believe in you!!! :D Hope it continues to progress well, it's fantastic that he's taking it all in his stride :)

I find it all really fascinating too, thanks for the update. Nice to hear Bandy is good with his treatment, hope antibiotic bead does the trick :pray:

Day 2 and he is full of beans. Eating well and seems to be feeling pretty good. Gave him another dose of Metacam this morning and back to the vet tomorrow for more medication.
Jen you're right, they are long haul, very annoying, ever changing but treatable. I do believe he will beat this but it does take time and a heck of a lot of patience from all.

My vet Johanna is great with him and I have every faith in her and what she is doing. I was very lucky to find her and so close to home, the surgery is less than a mile from my house.

I will post updates on how this new treatment is working.

Back