Life Without Lenci

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:bigtears:It still hurts to think about my Benjamin (Sr.) even though it's been a year... I know
just how you feel! :cry2:cry1:tears2:

On a lighter note, here! this is for you! :hug1

Dearest Lissa, I wish I had the perfect words to sya to you to stop the pain. I miss all your stories about her and her misadventures. To this day, whenever I see a large stewpot I smile and think of that picture of her. ;)

Some days I miss Vash really badly - the house is just not hte same without my big beautiful boy.

JimD wrote:
:sad:...wishing there was something I could say to make things "all better".

:sad:... Wishing I could bring her back.

I always connected with Lenci more than most of the bunnies on here. Don't know whysome areharder than others... Fergi's Ben, Lanna's Precious, Amy's little Brogan, Roxy and Nibbles, Apollo, Vash...afew others... all devastating.

Lenciwasone of thevery hardest.

I truly feel your pain. :hug1

ofaafs.jpg

bunnylover78642 wrote:
OHMYGOD!! I am so sorry. I didn't see this post! What happened to Lenci? I will pray for you!! Good luck and god bless!
Lissa correct me if I am wrong. Lenci passed away last year from GI Stasis I believe.

Oh, I am so sorry! I wish you the best. I wish there was some way we could all be there for you, to hug you, and make things disappear for at least a little while. I will pray for you and hope that god is nice to you in your next lifes adventure.

SweetPeasMommie wrote:
bunnylover78642 wrote:
OHMYGOD!! I am so sorry. I didn't see this post! What happened to Lenci? I will pray for you!! Good luck and god bless!
Lissa correct me if I am wrong. Lenci passed away last year from GI Stasis I believe.
She passed away suddenly last July. This is how I remember it. At 6:00 p.m. we took her to thevet because she was acting very strange. The vet didn't notice anything wrong. Said it could possibly be a hairball. Did an x-ray and found some blockage. He sent us home with some medicine. Around 11:00 p.m. I got out of bed and pet her. She looked so hurt. (This story is so painful to tell because I still remember the look on her face.) It was while I was petting her that I discovered a botfly in her neck. I freaked. I immediately called the vet who instructed me to bring her in first thing in the morning to have it removed.

The next morning we took her straight to the vet who found nothing inside her neck. He said that the larva must have worked its way out. I couldn't believe it. I saw the worm in there the night before and suddenly it's just gone? But I was relieved that it was out of her neck. But now she had this giant hole from the vet trying to dig down in there. I felt so terrible. I could tell she was in such pain. So we took her home and I went to work. Jason stayed home with her.

I came home for lunch at noon as usual. The first thing I did was pick up Lenci. She was almost completely limp....lifeless...turning blue. I knew then that it was only a matter of time before she left us. I knew and she knew too. In fact, I think she waited for me to come home. (Okay. I'm crying now.) We were at the vet again and at that point Lenci couldn't even stand up. :( She kept tipping over. And of course I'm screaming with mascara dripping down my face. There was nothing he could do but send us home with some more medicine with instructions to keep her warm.

As we pulled up to our house, I heard the most terribleand frightening thing. Lenci was thrashing herself in the pet carrier. It looked as if she were going into seizures, but I knew right away that that is what rabbits do when they die. :( I held her as her bodythrashed. She screamed a little and was gone. Just like that.

Oh God. That was painful.

In fact, I think she waited for me to come home.
Lissa, I have noticed that so many of the animals in my life 'waited' for me before they passed away.My rabbit Thumper, my cat Snooch, my little rabbitLucky...they hung on until I appeared, and it was as if there was then a huge relief from them...they werefree to let go at that point. I do believe this happens because they are waiting to say 'goodbye'...though in the sense of the word it isn't really goodbye; it is simply a 'I'll seeyou again some day soon'. It is their bond with you...and as hard as it is to witness the transition, know that Lenci - along with all other beloved pets who do this -was so comforted by your presence that you helped her immensely just by being there. May we all be as loved when it is our own time to cross over...

(And now I'm in tears too...)

:tears2:

It's funny because I'm okay with talking about Lenci's death unless I go into details. When I go into details, I get teared up.

Bot flies are terrible. I have a friend in Ill. who was petting her rabbit one night and found the hole and saw the worm....she was able to go to a 24 hr. emergency vet and have it taken out so the rabbit survived....but I know someone else whose rabbit develloped neuorological problems from having a lot of bot flies removed. Lissa ...it is so terrible what happened to Lenci because if you had known you could have dome something..it would be hard to see on a long haired rabbit...I AM SCARED TO DEATH to take my rabbits outside in warm weather because of those horrible things. :mad:

It was very well hidden. In fact, the vet looked her over and found nothing. I found it later on that night. So please if you take your rabbits outside check them over thoroughly each time. Lenci was only outside about 5 times and she was supervised the entire time. It only takes one time. I will never take my rabbits outside again.

I might take mine out in cool weather but only for a short time..my friend in Ill. had almost never let het rabbits out too...so it can haoppen fast. I am expecting a phone call and have the same line for the computer so I have to keep going on and off so I don't miss the call

Bassetluv wrote:
In fact, I think she waited for me to come home.
I do believe this happens because they are waiting to say 'goodbye'...though in the sense of the word it isn't really goodbye; it is simply a 'I'll seeyou again some day soon'. It is their bond with you...and as hard as it is to witness the transition, know that Lenci - along with all other beloved pets who do this -was so comforted by your presence that you helped her immensely just by being there. May we all be as loved when it is our own time to cross over...

(And now I'm in tears too...)

:tears2:

Hi Lissa,

When bunnies express their love for us, they give us bunniekisses, suggle, run around our feet, binky, etc. When they are in distress and don't have the physical ability to do this, it's hard to tell what going on in those complex little minds.

When our dog Reya got so sick, I think she knew she *wouldn't be with us much longer. When MrsD took her to the vet, Reya vomited and peed in the car on the way and then she had what we think was a seizure. They had to carry her into the vets office and she didn't even have the strength to lift her head up. MrsD said that just before they let her go, Reya looked at her and wagged her tail a little bit....and then she was gone. I'm sure this was Reya's way of saying that she loved MrsD and that it was ok to let her go now.

~Jim

*edited to say "wouldn't" be with us instead of "would"

It is amazing the strong signals we get from our pets. Wow.

Pipp wrote:
I always connected with Lenci more than most of the bunnies on here. Don't know whysome areharder than others... Fergi's Ben, Lanna's Precious, Amy's little Brogan, Roxy and Nibbles, Apollo, Vash...afew others... all devastating.

Lenciwasone of thevery hardest.

That really means a lot to me. Thank you.

I am so sorry that I asked for you to go into details for my benefit!! That has never happened to me even though my rabbits live outside.I hope it never does as it sounds horrible!! I will pray for Lenci and for a rest in your broken heart! I wish there was more I could do! :( I feel so bad now!! I am really sorry!

Back