Life with bunny monsters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved Behr's cage away from the wall last night and noticed a huge improvement in the amount of noise I heard. And I got to sleep in!! Yay.

I was going to wait another week before I started bonding, but I think J. Behr is really bored and I haven't seen any signs not to go ahead. So, into the tub they went. And the play by play...

Finley: I'm just going to sit in this spot and wait for him to notice me. I'm sure he will. I'm the whole package - so I'm told. I'm gorgeous, cute, funny, smart...I could go on, but that would take a while.

Behr: Obviously this chick isn't too bright. She's just sitting there. I mean, HELLO! How are you going to escape that way?

Finley: Look at that fool. He's trying to get out. Doesn't he realize there could be danger out there? And why would he want out when he can be in here with me? Especially because my person is giving me lots of loving and telling me how wonderful I am. She's saying nice stuff to him too, but I think she's known for lying - just not about me, of course.

Behr: Ok. The walls cannot be chewed through. And they don't taste great. They are low, so easily jumpable. If only the person would get out of the way. And she should shut up. She's messing with my concentration.

A few minutes pass.

Behr: Fine. The person won't move. Let's try to convince the lazy rabbit to distract her.

Finley: ooh, he's coming. I knew he wouldn't be able to resist my charm. I'll reward him with kisses.

Behr: this chick is easy. Already giving me kisses. If I kiss her back I'm sure she'll go along with my plan.

Some snuggling goes on for a while (although grooming stopped pretty quickly).

Finley: well, it must be safe to check this area out. Maybe if I move around he'll see how gorgeous I am.

Behr: Uh, I don't think so. She's not stealing my plan to escape.

Now this is where things got a bit more challenging. J.Behr mounted Finley, and she put up with it for a while, but put him in his place with a nip. That worked for a nano second. He's got one track mind. He kept going after her, so I intervened and got them snuggling again. There wasn't anymore grooming, but that's ok.

When I put them back in their cages Finley wedged herself between the side of her cage and her litterbox so she could be closer to her buddy. Aww.

We went out for a while and came home to see Finley had retreated downstairs. Behr seems pretty dejected. He's being awfully needy. I think he's sulking. But I'm nto sure if it's because I was 'mean' and made him be friends with Finley, or if it's because he's not with her now.

Finley grooming:

100_1715.jpg

Bunnies snuggling:

100_1717-2.jpg

It went well today. Finley groomed Behr, but he didn't return it. He didn't mount her today, and there were no real scuffles.

Finley was pretty relaxed. Behr was as well, but he was content to stay in his corner towards the end - I think likely because Finley put him in his place at one point. He was sulking.

Because of my schedule tomorrow, I'll likely have my husband do the bonding. I'm hoping they're as good for him as they are for me.

It's funny sometimes how they just amaze me. I've been running around trying to get ready for the upcoming week...and getting pretty grumpy, and tired, along with a sore back.

Just after I finished folding laundry and was moving it from the chairs to the dresser, Behr jumped on the chair. I envisioned all of my nice clean clothes covered in hair, and I was frustrated. But it wasn't a huge deal and I moved on.

Then I came downstairs and was looking for some stuff. I moved a box out of my way...only to have Finley knock it over. Again, I was frustrated. But I looked over at her and she just had a look about her that I knew she was playing with me...so I played back and got a few baby binkies out of her.

They were just trying to tell me to slow down and enjoy some time with them. *sigh*. They both got lots of kisses. Rabbits are awesome.

Thanks. I had asked someone already, but understandably holidays are busy...I haven't heard back yet. Worst case scenario is they'll go for a drive to my mom's in Guelph. I haven't told her yet though.

I sent you a PM.

Onto bunny news, well there isn't much. I've been away from the house more than usual so my husband has been in charge of bonding and all that good stuff. He's reporting good things, much of the same as what I experienced. I was hoping for a bit more progress, but maybe he's downplaying it. I'm going to be doing bonding the next while and that will help me evaluate the situation.

I am lucky they're both alive though...my husband, who is usually amazing with them, had a really bad bunny-day on Monday. I got home to find that he forgot to put up the additional barricade to keep the bunnies apart (a piece that goes on top of the babygate because Behr can jump the gate), he left an unbunny proofed room open (and yay for Behr not chewing wires - the wrapping paper is a different story!), and the worst...poor J.Behr went all day without water. He had a drink when I came home and was fine, but still.

I reviewed the 'rules' with my husband. ;) He did much better on Tuesday.

Nothing too exciting, but just thought some of you may want the updates.

Icould sit and watch them interact all day.

Finley is definitely the boss. She is quick to put J.Behr in his place. He doesn't really mount her anymore because he's learned it earns him nips. If he's nice, he gets kisses. He got a lot of kisses tonight. :)

At first neither wanted to give in and groom the other. Behr would get really close and fake groom, and then doitty bitty baby binkies. More of a twitch really. He'd get close and twitch and back off. It was Finley who gave in. J. Behr did give her kisses later though.

Because Finley was keeping him in check, they didn't really scuffle. And when they did, they mostly resolved it on their own. I got involved just once, and they backed right off.

Finley is super pushy and shoves her head/body so far under him that he sometimes has to take a step back. She's also pretty relaxed and pretty stretched out sometimes (not all the way, but more than what she will if *I* try to give her loving).

So on the whole, I think it's going super well. My only concern right now is that she will continue this bossy routine and not ever let him have fun (she wouldn't let him dig, but she did let him explore).

This weekend they may graduate from the tub.

So, I got J.Behr 2 months ago today. We got him after losing Teagan. I really didn’t want another bunny at first…but my resolve crumbled one night when I was feeling pretty crappy and went to love Finley and she hopped away. So, I started looking at rabbitrescue.ca. I made up a list of the potentials. And Behr was not one of them. In fact, here are some of the things I emailed back and forth to my family about him after he was suggested (but keep in mind I’ve changed my opinion and am now madly in love with him)…I've bolded the particularly funny parts.

Email # 1 - Sharing his bio with family (my comments are in brackets):
His latest write up...my comments are in there too....

Jester is a male neutered Dutch bunny. He was picked up as a stray July 31st and came to us when his time ran out at a local shelter. He is a very handsome (ha, I disagree) boy who's Dutch-type colouring is a gorgeous (ha again) smoke grey contrasted by a brilliant white. Jester is friendly and curious. Like many Dutch bunnies, he has quite an active, outgoing personality and loves to explore and play. Having said that though when he is in his cage, Jester is calm and quiet.

In this short span of time Jester has been with us, he has shown us no territorial or aggressive behaviour what so ever. He is simply just wanting to be friends. He has a sweet nature indeed.

Anyway, that's his write up. I think S (my husband) really likes him. And yes, it doesn't say he's super cuddly. But I don't expect any bunny to be a couch potato like Teagan was. I don't think he'd run away from me like Finley does sometimes though. If we get him we should win a humanitarian (ar animalarium award) for adopting one of the world's ugliest rabbits. ;)

New comment on the email: he is SO *not* quiet in his cage.

Email # 2 – the decision
Jester is the lucky bunny we’re bringing home (or unlucky because we've got bad luck, but whatever).

I told S. we should name him Ugly Stick because he's been whacked with one. He said I'm mean. More seriously, I was thinking of naming him Behr, after the paint, because it looks like he's been dipped in a can of paint...but that is a bit too cute-sy I think, and people will think 'bear' instead and have me committed for naming a 3-5 lbs rabbit after a huge whatever-the-poundage animal.

Email # 3 – Naming
So, we've been approved and all of that to adopt the world's ugliest rabbit. S. doesn't think Ugly Stick is going to work for a name, so I'd like some feedback. I tried getting more from him, but he lost patience. He refused to participate in the naming until I threatened to call newbunny Fluffy. But his participation consisted of laughing and say I wouldn't do that. He's right.

He participated a bit more after that, but had far too many 'whatever's for my liking. I called him on it. He said it doesn't matter what I callit because he probably won't remember the name anyway and he'll call it Wabbit. AndI believe him because even after having Finley 3 years, he still forgets her name. (Solid evidence we shouldn't have kids).
Almost everyone that I showed pictures to thought J.Behr was cute...but I couldn't see it. Neither could my husband, sister, or mother. Luckily, at least I've come around (I don't know about them). J.Behr is so freakin' cute.

It seems that J.Behr is learning a lot from the bondingexperience.. ..hanging out next to Finley's cage he's learned that he *can* move the litterbox, and it is a wonderful sport.

He's also picked up on her grunting. I heard it the first time yesterday morning, but I figured I was half asleep and it actually came from Finley...but no, he grunted at me again this morning.

I figure next up she'll teach him that chewing wires is a bunny right (he hasn't shown any interest in wires or chewing anything really)....and that carpet digging/chewing is an excellent way to burn off some energy.

And then with my luck he'll teach Finley his bad habits....like getting into the garbage, jumping on the table, etc. At least they'll be good for a laugh.

Okay.. I read the one about naming Behr and bringing him home and almost spot my coffee everywhere... You really should post that to RR... maybe not! I hope I don't "out" you by accident!

As for the bonding... sounds so sweet. All my rabbits are bad now. It used to be just Fez. But now it's all 4, they all teach each other the fun,naughty behaviours!

If I posted it I think Susan would launch a campaing to de-J.Behr me so she could claim him as her own. ;)

I forgot to mention that Finley had been spending her evenings with me...but last night after bonding she stayed closer to J.Behr, and she was binkying and bunny 500'ing all over the place.

Hahaha well, then she wouldn't have room for more fosters for me to adopt out... of all her fosters, I think she has had 4 now, I have adopted out 3 of the 4! The only app I didn't do was for Jester Behr! She says when she sees an email from me she runs to hide her bunnies! LOL :)

LOL. Too funny. It sounds like 'her' bunnies get adopted out pretty quickly. She didn't have J.Behr long, and I don't think she had Marmalade long either.

I think all the RR bunnies need to make a trip to Susans. She's a good luck charm.

She sure is! She had Marmalade the longest, and that was still only 2 months, and the first month she wasn't available because we wanted to make sure she was over her sickness! She should go around visiting all the bunnies and sprinkling them with adoption dust!

I felt that it was time to graduate Finley and J.Behr from the tub....but it did not go well.

We really don't have any neutral territory left, so I opted for the less explored bedroom - sort of Finley territory (when she sneaks in and we chase her out).

I realized pretty quickly in that it wasn't going to work because Finley was being really aggressive. There was chasing, fighting, and not niceness. It is too icky out for anything outside, so I decided the next best thing (since Finley was being the jerk) was in a pen in Behr territory since he is more laid back. I threw down a blanket and it did go *slightly* better.

The good: Finley ate some hay (she NEVER eats during bonding) and a treat (but that was so J.Behr wouldn't have it - once I gave him a piece she lost interest). I was also able to get them settled enough to sit near each other while I gave them loving. Finley gave me kisses, but nothing to J.Behr.

The bad: a lot of chasing, nipping, etc. I had to intervene a lot. I got bit twice by J.Behr. :(

So back into the tub they went and almost instantly they were better. I guess I'll stick to the tub for a bit yet. I am a bit discouraged though because we really don't have any neutral space to do this and things had been stalled in the tub. At least Finley gave me kisses so I don't feel like I'm being as cruel for making them do this.

Around six AM this morning I learned that I can move *very* quickly if need be.
I heard what I thought was bar chewing (courtesy of J.Behr). It stopped for a
second, and then there was *a lot* of noise. Instantly I knew somehow the
bunnies were together.

I bolted and luckily the noise of our bedroom door opening seemed to halt the
chasing. It lasted maybe 10 seconds. It seems J.Behr was chasing Finley, but she
must be quick too because there wasn't any fur flying.

I've checked them both over and they are ok. As far as the 'how'....my husband
forgot to close the top of J.Behr's cage. And so he scaled the side (or
something) and landed himself firmly into Finley territory. I will be having a
'chat' with my husband because he's been scary careless lately.

They're in the tub now trying to repair some of the damage. It's going ok, but
Finley is a bit standoffish. She's grooming him, but she she just isn't
impressed with his antics.

Over the course of a few days the power has shifted and Behr is clearly the
boss. I really wish it were the other way around but they don't care what I
want. ;)

Latest posts

Back