Life with bunny monsters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahlin

Reaction score
I'm going to start this blog out with something I wrote when we lost our bunny Teagan back in September.

Rabbits aren't for everyone. I argue that you need to be prepared to have no social life, have a depleted bank account, and to have your heart broken. Sounds fun, eh?

Well, when you factor in all of the good stuff, I firmly believe they are the most rewarding pets.

I was going to go into a long spiel about how amazing bunnies are. But you know what? I can't even put it into words. I will say that every day I have had a bunny, I have had a reason to smile.

Even on the crappy days. This includes days that you fall down the stairs, lose a loved one, or get into an argument. They have an ability to read the environment. And unlike dogs that may take off if you are pissy, rabbits will twitch, play, etc to improve your mood. Even the so-called boring ones.

When my grandfather died, both of my bunnies went out of their way to fix me. Teagan snuggled extra, and Finley twitched. Just recently, when we had to have Teagan put down, Finley did her best. She forgot that she was grieving too, or that she'd just been on a really stressful car ride, and she twitched and caused trouble in ways I've never seen. She couldn't take the pain away, but she tried. And I smiled, even if just for a second.

And if they aren't making you laugh, they let you know that you are loved and needed. Even the most unfriendly bunnies will interact with you. Sure they aren't all couch potatoes like my Teagan was, but they want to communicate with you. This may mean stretching at your feet, or shoving your leg roughly to alert you that a game of tag has started (and they don't care that it's not during a commercial).

Even on their death bed, they let you know they need you. Even as their breathing slows, if you move your hand or look like your stepping away, you will get a reaction. And your heart will break.

Just like your heart will swell when they twitch to see you....or when you think to yourself (or even tell them) that they are idiots because they dropped their carrot and can't find it, or when they forget how to go *down* the stairs they just climbed up (ok, that was just Teagan).

Or when you are puzzled because somehow they outsmarted you....like the numerous times they've broken free of their cages, or how they got through your excellent bunny proofing job, or how the 5 lbs rabbit managed to get the 30 lbs bag of pellets off the chair. And put a hole in the corner, so when they are done munching, and you go to move it, you will be followed with a trail of pellets.

Maybe it's just because they are so little, and you don't expect to get so much out of them. I don't know. But despite our limited social life, depleted bank accounts, and broken hearts, it's worth it.

It's worth it to save a life. It's worth it to laugh. It's worth it to love.

[size=[size=2]This post is dedicated to all the wonderful bunnies out there. All the bunnies that have been loved and lost. Below you will see some of the wonders I've had (or still do). And I couldn't narrow it down, so there are quite a few. I'm posting them in a new post just because.[/size]][/size]

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of our first bunny, Kahlua. She loved kisses, car rides, and being read to.

Lindor was our second bunny. We called her the pudge. She was sweet, cuddly, and demanding. She liked chewing people when she felt underloved.

lindor.jpg

Lindor-1.jpg

We got the brat (Mikaiko Miller) after we lost Kahlua. He was to be Lindor's buddy. He got his nickname because he loved to cause trouble. He cracked us up. He loved his little Lindor, and was lost without her.

drinking.jpg

grassisgreener.jpg

contestpic.jpg

We got Finley after we lost Lindor. We needed a bunny for the brat - he was driving us crazy! We've had Finley three years now, and she's about 5. She's our unbunny...only acting like a bunny when no one is watching. She will sit for snuggles on good days, and grunts to tell you to back off.

contestpic2.jpg

finley5.jpg

100_1635p.jpg

Teagan....she was my couch potato bunny. She loved snuggling. We got her because I needed a lop in my life, and had hoped to do a trio with her, Finley, and the brat. Unfortunately, we lost the brat a week after we brought Teag home. We were making progress bonding the girls, but it was not to be. We lost Teag too early.

t1.jpg

Texploring1.jpg

PTLOLZ.jpg

And that leaves us with Behr. We got him after we lost Teagan. I needed a bunny that wasn't as tempermental as Finley, and Finley has wanted a friend for a while. He has been so entertaining (as you will read in the 'real' blog posts).

jester.jpg

Behr027.jpg

So, a little about Behr. He was picked up after his former owners let him loose. We called him Behr because it looks like his bum was dipped in paint (so it's after the brand of paint).

I wrote this a week or so after we got him:
I asked his foster mom if he'd be likely to jump out of a pen that had no top. She didn't think so. And for 5 days, he hadn't.

I was watching TV downstairs and hear Behr making noise. I figured he was playing with one of his toys in his cage, and left it at that. But then I heard the tell tale sound of bunny nails on the entrance area floor. I freaked and thought, "how did Finley get through the baby gate!?!" I look over, and the gate is still up. And innocent little Finley was sitting in front of the TV. (and I will give her nose rubs for thinking the worst)

So I start laughing because I knew the little monster got out of his pen. I go upstairs and he's happily playing in the bunny-proofed but off limits living room. Do you think I could catch the little guy? No! He was too busy racing between the rooms binkying all over. I couldn't even get it on video because he was moving too quick. Between laughing at his antics I *almost* let him play for a bit before bed.

But I figured I needed to lay the lock down on and create a top for his pen and get him settled in so I could make sure the little terror didn't escape while I was in bed. So eventually I caught him, put him in the pen and went downstairs to get supplies. He was out (again!) before my feet hit the last step.

He's now tucked away in his pen, all snapped in. He's mad and chewing his bars like crazy. I don't know where he gets his energy. He even had *extra* play time today.

I think the bunnies are tag teaming though, because Finley used the open laundry room (and off limits area) door as an opportunity to go in and check things out. In the past 3 years I've had her, she's only had interest in this room for the past 3 weeks!

Anyone want to bunny sit? ;)

I've had him for about a month, and he's crazy fun....(although frustrating sometimes). He was a stray domesticated bunny after someone thought it would be better to release him.
angry.gif
But, now he's got a home with me and doing quite well. Here's the evidence:

He is extremely disatisfied with the current food situation and he is totally messing with my head. Below you will find the top ten reasons that he is not really a bunny, but actually a pig (as well as his 'evidence' that he's underfed).

1.His favourite 'toy' is a huge bin of hay - much more exciting than the hay placed in his litterbox. He spends hours sitting on it and eating from it.

2.He 'helps' unload groceries by inspecting them (and chewing on squash, bananas, grapes, etc before we snatch them away).

3.He insists on checking out the fridge *every* time you open it - and doesn't move out of the way to let you close it.

4.If I tap my nails on the floor, he comes tearing towards me to get his treat (that I'm not even offering) only to slam into me as he can't brake on linoleum. I'm thinking his previous owners taught him this...and I'm so going to get it on video some day.

5.He steals food and food wrappers from anywhere he can find it - including from my purse. Graham crackers are especially fun to dump out of their snack bags. Onto the floor.

6.He smells my breath any time I get near him (kinda creepy).

7.He gets excited to see his people, until he realizes that he's not being offered food, and then he loves you less.

8.He sniffs at the garbage bag and dreams of garbage hunting

9.He manipulates objects in order to reach the top of the garbage bag! (which is a tall kitchen garbage container)

And this last one....now I will admit I was about ten minutes late in feeding him, but really, to burn up all those calories after waiting *10* minutes?!

10. He managed to somehow get ON the kitchen table and knock off the cover to the sugar bowl (which was the only thing that gave him away). I bolted to see what he got into to find him trying to stick his chubby little head into the bowl. I figured he got on it by using a chair. I fixed that and was sure he couldn't possibly do it again. Came downstairs, was on the couch for a mere two seconds, and I heard the sugar bowl cover hit the table again. GAH! I have no clue how the monster is getting all the way up there without making noise. Which is how he also managed to eat the end of the banana.

A disclaimer: he didn't get any sugar (other than the banana), so no bunny was harmed in this episode. I couldn't even get mad because I was laughing too hard.

Pictures to come...hang on.

Behr says daylight savings time is just a suggestion. In no way should it interfere with lettuce time. If it does, there are clear consequences. See the picture.

100_1706.jpg

I was going to wait on bonding for a bit longer until Behr's litter habits were better, but Finley let me know she's ready by not moving from the side of his cage....so, yesterday I rearranged the living room to get them side-by-side.

I'm going to leave it like this for a while, or until I see some more positive changes. Finley has asked to be groomed, but Behr doesn't 'get it'. They aren't fighting between bars, which is good.

Finley is enjoying her new play space since it allows her long stretches of sleeping in the sun, and access to her future buddy.

I'll keep you posted on bonding progress or Behr craziness.

Thanks. :)

Patti - Just for that I may just have to post something I wrote after someone challenged me on having Teagan PTS. That is tear-jerkery.

So, this is a post I wrote after having lost Teagan. It's sad and feel free to ignore.

Before I start, when we got Teagan, we already had 2 bunnies. My husband didn't want more...but he knew that my heart needed a lop. It took me a while to get over Lindor (the previous lop), but I felt ready.

Shortly after I got Teagan, we lost one of our other bunnies. So Teagan sort of helped me through the loss of Lindor and the brat. She comforted me, and snuggled me. For the next year (or so) she spent her mornings on the couch with me. She loved her food, loving, and napping. She wasn't super smart, but had a very adorable 'goofy' thing going. Teagan was everything in a bunny that I could ever want.

Unfortunately, she got sick and had to be put down. She was in a lot of pain and it wasn't fair to her. The only option was surgery, but the vet said he'd rather not as she'd only have a 10% survival and would be in a lot of pain. I made the decision, and was later questioned on it by someone. This was my response:

You know, it's likely that I'm a tad over-sensitive at having just lost a family member...but frankly, you weren't there. You didn't have the pleasure of feeling Teagan's body and knowing that the lump just wasn't right.

You weren't the one to make the phone call to the emergency vet knowing full well that it was probably too late...that call or no call, she'd be gone by morning.

You didn't have the joy of watching your sweet couch potato snuggler sitting in pain. You didn't have to be terrified that you'd lose her on the way to the vet...when she was alone in the carrier.

You didn't get to see the xray with a huge mass in her body. You didn't get to stand there and realize that she was slipping away. That her breathing was slowing, that she wasn't there anymore.

You didn't get to hear the news that nothing could be done. No simithecone, no tummy rubs, no surgery, no mineral oil, no wishing/praying would save her.

You didn't have to spend your holiday stroking her and comforting her and watch her take her last breath. You didn't have to have your heart broken.

It's amazing how every bunny is different and effects you in different ways. But I think everything happens for a reason. If it had been Finley we had lost, we likely would have limited our bunny 'career' to Teagan and move on because losing a bunny is just too hard.

And that's not because I loved Teagan more...but she was a people-bunny. She didn't need a friend, and she would have comforted me. Finley is a bunny-bunny. She's wanted a friend for a while, and now is her chance.

So all of that to say, losing Teagan was so hard, but it also meant we could bring Behr home. Monster Behr and his crazy tendencies.

In happier stuff...

There hasn't been any Behr theatrics yet today. His litter habits have decreased a bit because of Finley's presence, but I expected that.

Finley's been a good girl as well. This makes life with the monsters a bit dull, but they're probably just rallying their energy for some mass trouble-making attack.

Back