Laboured Breathing - UPDATE - Cancer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes my vet is still open, however, we made the choice to take 24 hours to say good bye. She's had her meds, and she seems quite comfortable now.

We will probably go back to our vets office tomorrow around midday to have her put to sleep.

This is a difficult decision, but I know that to keep her from suffering longer is the kinder choice for her, even if it's the harder choice for me.

--Dawn

Thinking about you guys tonight :hug:

ETA: I'm really sorry if my question upset you. That wasn't my intent...I was interpreting that she was still doing well. Hope her passage is swift and pain free.

I am so sorry Dawn.:(

That is awful news. She will be happier and healthier once she's gone though. You are making a good decision to do this even though its hard.

Enjoy the final hours with her. :hug::bunnieskiss

Amanda

I am so very very sorry for what you are going through - I remember those last few hours before GingerSpice left me - I knew she was leaving and I wanted to hold onto every minute and make it last forever....yet...I didn't want her in pain either.

I would bring her body home to her bondmate and not take her bondmate to the vet also. The reason is - I wouldn't want Sugar to associate the vet with death...and I think it would be easier for her to say goodbye in her own home.

With Miss Bea - we left Tiny's body for four hours - which I know seems like a lot - but she needed that much time to say goodbye. Even then...when we took him away - she ran around trying to start fights through the cage bars and she was a very ANGRY bunny.

Be prepared for her to go through stages of grief too - including anger and denial.

Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to me.

I'm prepared for Sugar to forever be a loner bun, but I can always hope that she might warm up to the boys after a while. I hope for her sake that she can bond with the boys, so she doesn't have to be alone.

I gave Sekura some more critical care and pain meds. She seems to be dealing okay, however, she's definitely dieing :( She's getting less active and less responsive as time goes bye. I'm glad she's at least got some pain meds to ease the process.

--Dawn

I want to come and say goodbye, but I've been dealing with forum issues all day, I can hardly see straight, horrible headache and I'm very very sad. :(

Sekura and Sugar were my bunnies for awhile, Sekura is Dill's mother.

:bawl:

I'm really really sorry Dawn..

I:hug: had to do this last summer with Babette (RIP) and it is hard for the remaining bun (maybe harder on us watching the remaining bun.)

After you have said your goodbyes to Sekura be sure and bring her home and place her in the area where her companion can sniff her and realize that she is gone.

Your other rabbit probably already realizes that Sekura is very ill as they seem to have a "sense" about those things.

I feel bad for you but there is a definiteness about a diagnosis like this that can at times make it less hard to let the bun go :hug:

:bigtears:mythoughts are with you.....

I am so sorry, Sekura is not well. :cry2

We are all saying our prayers for her. Hope her last moments are pain free and she cansleep with ease. :hug:

Thank you for your support everyone.

She ate some mixed green salad, just a little bit, but at least that's something. I think the meds are making her feel better.

We're going to break out the banana soon, her favourite treat.

--Dawn

Well, she had some banana, opening her mouth just as wide as before. Banana has always been her favourite treat.

I'm really not sure if she's going to make it through the night. Ryan thinks she does, but I have a feeling she won't.

She's getting a bunch of poop stuck to her bum, and it smells different. I think she's emptying her system in preparation for death. Wildfire did this before she died, and I've had others do it during death.

I'm heading to bed now, it's been a long day. I will update in the morning when I get up.

--Dawn

OMG! i have been following this thread and was woah when i saw this.

i am so so so sorry. it is for the best... pain free, binky, breathing normally.... its the best last thing you could do to help her/him?

i lost a bunny. not by putting to sleep, but i know its hard any way..

(yes the other rabbit will know... my healthy one kept nudding the sick buns head up. then said good baye.

the day after she started to jump out, away from the sick one.... then the next day he was in the rainbow)

ii am sorry. good luck...

This is so sad. I'm sorry you and Sekura have had to go through this. The decision you've made for her is the right one.

When it's time, may she feel safe in the presence of your love :hearts

Jo xx

Back