Laboured Breathing - UPDATE - Cancer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
Sekura has been having some laboured breathing in the last week or so. She is holding her mouth open a bit, her nostrils seem more flared and her sides are moving more.

Her age is debatable. She is 10 to 12 years old, but I don't have any definite dates.

I'm just wondering what could be causing this. She's eating fine, and still running up for nose rubs.

I don't know if it's her getting older or something I should be worried about.

--Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Look at her gums and tongue....they should be bright pink. If they are pale or purple, something is going on and a vet visit would be in order. My first thought with these symptoms in an older rabbit is either a lower respiratory issue or possibly CHF.

Randy

Breathing through the mouth is never good. :(

When does it usually happen?

How's her weight?

I had Sekura here for awhile, I really love that little girl.

sugarsquished2.jpg

sas :?

Her weight is about the same, if anything she may have lost a bit of weight, but not much.

I just checked in her mouth, and her gums do look a bit pale. The little fleshy bits beside her bottom teeth looks kind of white. And I can't get the best look at her tongue, but it does appear to be more purplish.

I'm going to see if I can get a look in somebun else's mouth for comparison.

--Dawn

If the tongue and/or the gums are not bright pink....she is having difficulty with oxygen exchange in the lungs....most likely due to fluid. She needs O2 and some diag to find out what is going on. Do you have a stethoscope? If so, listen to her lungs. If they have any static or her tongue is purple, she needs a vet tonight. O2 and Lasix may be a good thing tonight. Rabbits are obligate nasal breathers....mouth open, even slightly, usually indicates she is having some issues with her respiratory system.

Randy

Okay, I did a more thorough investigation and as far as I can tell her gums look the same as my other bunnies.

I looked a Cole's mouth, but he is black and the dark skin seemed to continue into his mouth. So I checked Baxter, and then checked Sekura again. And Sekura's mouth looked to be the same colour as Baxter.

Her bottom incisors seemed to be a bit long, so I don't know if that could be part of her holding her mouth open.

She's taking treats and everything else about her behaviour is normal, just the breathing.

--Dawn

Edit: I do have a stethoscope. It's not the greatest quality, but I'll see if I can hear anything funny.

I can't seem to find my stethoscope. Figures, when I need to use it will be no where in sight, but if I don't need it, I'll be tripping over it.

She doesn't seem to be distressed in any way. She's the first one at the food bowl, and the last to leave. She's taking any treat offered to her and still drinking lots of water.

I just checked her mouth again in the daylight (we have crappy light in our house in the evening), and it looks pink still. I think when her tongue looked purple, it was because I was in the dark living room. Every time I've checked since then, her mouth looks nice and pink.

I don't know what to do with this girl. I'm going to call the vets, and I think I'm going to have to take her in.

--Dawn

She's still the same. She's been this way for at least a week. It's not something that happened over night, it just kind of crept up on me.

We're pretty snowed in today, Ryan just damaged the car in our driveway getting it stuck in/on a snow bank. I'm going to have to take her in on Monday.

I'm not super worried about her considering this was a slow appearing condition, and I keep checking her gums/tongue and they are staying nice and pink. She is still super spunky, up at the front of the cage begging for attention and treats, as well as diving into her food.

I also have to keep in mind that she is an 11 year old, unspayed female bunny. I'm not sure how much longer she will be with us purely from an age front. That's the reason I really want to rearrange my cages and get the girls cage down beside the boys cage in an attempt to bond all four. I don't want to leave poor Sugar as a loner bunny when her mom passes.

--Dawn

yeh that sounds like a good idea; I
hope that she stays stable for the weekend.

11 is getting up there; I haven't had one live that long . My first bun was a stray thatI found and lived a long life but I don't know how old she was when I found her. :?

I've had one bunny live to be 13 and my other bunnies have passed away younger. Wildfire was 4 when she passed, and a couple of my fosters died under the age of 1. My mother's rabbit is 8, and he was my second bunny.

We just had some guests over, and Sekura was up at the front of the cage begging for treats. I think she'll be okay till Monday.

--Dawn

I just took Sekura to the vets. Not good news.... She's got cancer, everywhere...

So, we took her home with some pain meds and a homeopathic remedy that is supposed to help her feel better. We'll take her back tomorrow to put her to sleep. Tonight we will spoil her, and say our good byes.

I've never had to put a bonded bunny to sleep. I have put one to sleep, but he was a singleton. I'm not sure what to do about Sugar. Do I bring her to the vets to say good bye at the vets office? Should I bring Sekura's body back home to Sugar, and let her say good bye there? I'm not sure what the best way to do this will be.

My poor little spunky girl... I'm going to take lots of pictures tonight.

--Dawn

I'm sorry Dawn, I don't have any good advice... Most posts I've read have indicated that visitation with the body was beneficial for the partner, but I don't know firsthand...

I recognize that you have already made some arrangements, but I was thinking that if she is still a happy camper and enjoying life, to perhaps hold off? You know your rabbit best, though.
:hug: Hugs for you, Sugar, and Sekura...

I am so sorry to hear this, I wish it could be different. It is so hard to make that decision, especially before the rabbit starts to suffer and makes it obvious. I am guessing her breathing will get even more laboured soon and then she may really suffer so I think you have made a good choice.

I think the best thing to do would be to bring the body home to Sugar in my opinion the vet's may be too stressful for Sugar to acknowledge and she may sense the added sorrow in the office too. If you do it at home you don't have a time limit and she can say goodbye in her environment.

:bunnyangel2:

Sekura is ready to go, in my opinion. She stopped eating her pellets this morning, and is quite lethargic now. The change between yesterday and today is amazing.

One of her kidneys is humongous, just a giant tumour. The other kidney is okay, but the vet said it is probably systematic and that's why her breathing is compromised.

I think to keep her alive any longer would be purely selfish on my part. She's declining very quickly now.

I'm not sure about the home option. Do you know a vet that will do in home euthanasia, Dquesnel?

--Dawn

Dawn, I'm so sorry, I don't know what to say. Poor Sekura. This must be so hard for you.

You guys are in my thoughts :hug:

Enjoy the time you have with her tonight...

I'm so sorry, Dawn!

Are there any vets still open? Do they have emergency numbers available? Or do you know someone at a shelter who does the euthanasia?

:hug:

I can't tell you how terribly sorry I am to hear this. I'm glad you have the time to spoil her and love her and say goodbye. Sometimes we don't get that chance and it's even harder.

:hug:

Oh, what horrible news...I'm so sorry to hear that you have to do this...but it's definitely the decision we would come to, as well.

Enjoy your final hours with your baby...and many hugs and loads of love sent your way...

Let us all know anything we can do to help...

:hug: :tears2: :hearts

Latest posts

Back