Kiwi & Papaya- the adventures of!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay!!! Pics :) They're of course, as gorgeous as ever!

I forget what a fluffy boy Papaya is. Who knows, he might even enjoy being a little lighter and cooler, and I'm sure he won't mind the extra snuggles with Kiwi :) I don't know if I could keep up with a long furred bun. I have a hard enough time with my short furred ones.

I decided to take Zeus back off the pellets. He was still acting fine, but his poop got very irregularly sized, so I knew it was affecting his digestion. Just too sensitive. Oh well. As long as he's healthy, then hay and veggies it is. He misses them though. You know how much they love their pellets.

Ahhh, poor Zeus. Im sure you know whats best for him though. I have Kiwi up to 14 pellets now, and she seems to be doing ok so far. She eats them so fast though. Ive also decreased Papaya to 14 pellets as well. He also seems to beh doing ok with the decrease. I just got paranoid, as he was having excess cecotrophs, so I thought maybe he was getting too many pellets? I still see the excess cecotrophs sometimes, but not nearly as much as before.

Yes, Papaya is super furry! Not anymore though! It was mostly his back that was matted, so now it looks like hes wearing a skirt... :big kiss: He looks adorable. This is his third time being shaved, and his hair always grows back. Hes not too happy with me though. Poor guy just keeps grooming himself. Kiwi is being nice to him though. Shes sooooo much bigger then him when he has no hair. She looks like a giant! I brush Papaya once a week, and still cant keep up with the amount of hair he has.

I havent been able to get an "after" pic yet. He turns his back to me as soon as I get near and try to take a pic... Hes embarassed...:running bunny

Does anyone ever have an issue with their bunnies not liking a certain batch of hay? I buy the oxbow timothy hay. Sometimes kiwi & papaya love it, other times they turn their noses up at it! Little apricot (new rescue bun), seems to be the exact same way!
What brands of hay do you guys feed your buns? Any issues?

Even upside down they look cute :)

Rabbits not liking a certain batch of hay is pretty common. As you know with feeding horses, hay can vary a lot depending on where it's grown, the weather, when it's cut, and how it's dried. The most important things are making sure its not moldy at all, doesn't have bad weeds, and seems to be good quality. Other than that, maybe if you find a specific batch that they really seem to like, stock up on it. I'm pretty sure pet store bags have a specific batch number so you can make sure you are getting hay that's from the same crop.

I get bales of horse hay timothy for my buns. They weren't terribly impressed when I recently switched them from mature rye hay. Apparently rye hay is pretty tasty. But they got used to the timothy and eat it fine, just not with as much enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Even upside down they look cute :)

Rabbits not liking a certain batch of hay is pretty common. As you know with feeding horses, hay can vary a lot depending on where it's grown, the weather, when it's cut, and how it's dried. The most important things are making sure its not moldy at all, doesn't have bad weeds, and seems to be good quality. Other than that, maybe if you find a specific batch that they really seem to like, stock up on it. I'm pretty sure pet store bags have a specific batch number so you can make sure you are getting hay that's from the same crop.

I get bales of horse hay timothy for my buns. They weren't terribly impressed when I recently switched them from mature rye hay. Apparently rye hay is pretty tasty. But they got used to the timothy and eat it fine, just not with as much enthusiasm.

Its hard to get a certain batch, because I order it from my vet clinic. Its cheaper that way. So its hit & miss with what comes in the order. I cant choose it unfortunately. I have to go pick up my bags today, so im hoping its the nicer stuff, since their eating of hay has been down over the past couple of days.

I wish I could do horse hay. It makes me parnoid though. My brother had a degu. He asked me to get horse hay for him, so I did. The degus hair fell out after eating it! I dont know what happened, & ever since then, I havent brought any horse hay home. I really wish I could cause it would save me a ton of money.

Well for some reason my hay wasent at my clinic, so I actually had to go to the pet store & buy some. One batch of the Timothy hay was really grassy & soft. They kinda liked it, but it still wasent their favourite. (See my post re Papaya in health forum). So I went again today to a different pet store & finally found the batch that they like. I just fed it to them & they both ate, and are now stretched out with their bunny legs out. Happy bunnies :heartbeat:

Yay!!! Nothing like happy content buns :)

Usually with my hay bales, I store them where no mice or critters can get to it, then let it sit for a month at least, in case there are any mites or other parasite eggs in the hay. I figure a month is long enough to break the cycle of most common parasites that rabbits can pick up.

Last edited:
Yay!!! Nothing like happy content buns :)

Usually with my hay bales, I store them where no mice or critters can get to it, then let it sit for a month at least, in case there are any mites or other parasite eggs in the hay. I figure a month is long enough to break the cycle of most common parasites that rabbits can pick up.

My horses hay is stored in the hay loft, where I know there must be mice, & there's definitely spiders.. Yuck!

I dont think I can chance the horse hay. Im too paranoid... Ha

They do seem content right now. Kiwi is grooming herself, & Papaya is resting. It still dosent stop me from being concerned that something is wrong with them.

Aww, he's still cute even with the haircut :) They both look like very relaxed happy buns!

Aww, he's still cute even with the haircut :) They both look like very relaxed happy buns!

They can be, but they are also very skittish. Kiwi HATES when we are cooking. The sound that the stove makes to turn out (click,click,click- it's a gas stove), and the sound that meat makes when it sizzles (im a vegetarian- just the SO eats meat), kiwi runs & hides. She won't even come out for pellets. Then, papaya will get scared cause kiwi is. Ahhhhhh, what funny bunnies they are!

Here are my two little monkeys snuggling in their blue bunny house :)

image.jpg

Aren´t they adorable, love that bunny butt. Certain strange things scare mine, it is difficult to tell what goes on in those little minds. I remember one day Houdini was thumping like mad and I had no idea what was freaking him out cos I couldn´t hear anything, makes you want to get in their heads and see the world from their perspective.

Aren´t they adorable, love that bunny butt. Certain strange things scare mine, it is difficult to tell what goes on in those little minds. I remember one day Houdini was thumping like mad and I had no idea what was freaking him out cos I couldn´t hear anything, makes you want to get in their heads and see the world from their perspective.

I would love to know what goes on in their cute little heads too. Somedays I wish they could talk & tell me what's going on. That would be fun, but not at 6am when they would scream for their breakfast!

And I believe kiwi & papaya have finally clued in to the fact that they have a new little brother- Apricot. They haven't met yet, I'm going to wait a while longer, but, they have been leaving poos everywhere, & today when I got home, there were two big pees right at their door opening!

Is this common for buns to do? Are they just marking their territory?

Lady & the tramp! Eating the same piece of bunny hay!

And can anyone answer my previous question?

Today, when I brought papaya home from the vet (see thread in health & wellness), Kiwi peed all over the place. I guess she didn't like the way papaya smelt?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Awww, what a happy little couple :) I love it when buns go after the same bit of hay. It's so funny to watch. Usually mine try and steal it from the other one though.

Yeah, territory marking can be fairly common when a new bun, animal, or even person, comes into the home. But especially with a new rabbit. They're just letting him know, that is their area :p

Awww, what a happy little couple :) I love it when buns go after the same bit of hay. It's so funny to watch. Usually mine try and steal it from the other one though.

Yeah, territory marking can be fairly common when a new bun, animal, or even person, comes into the home. But especially with a new rabbit. They're just letting him know, that is their area :p

Ok, good to know. I think I should start including little Apricot in this blog. So... introducing Apricot! For those that don't know, he was a rescue, & I thought he looked about 4 weeks when I got him. Tomorrow, he will be 7 weeks :) When I first brought him home, I didn't know if he would make it through the night. Well he did, & is a happy bun! He loves attention. He hasent met Kiwi &Papaya yet, but they all know each other is there. I need to have a fecal done on him &
I thought best to do a 30 day quarantine, just in case he had something contagious. All is well so far.

Now that Papaya is healing (cut on prepuce), I have to wait anyways to introduce.

Here is a before pic of little "cot cot"

image.jpg

Gorgeous and so fluffy. Couln't resist going back to the shop today and look who was there

1391643504322.jpg

Latest posts

Back