Kid with issues!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spring wrote:
Iwouldn't suggest having the pellets as main food. Pellets aren't reallyneeded in a rabbits diet, just some added nutrients/ fiber. I wouldn'tsuggest having pellets as the main source. I'd have hay as the mainsource (a rabbit needs lots of fiber), then next grass and greens (I'dstick with the grass, btu the vegetables aren't very necassary, justthink of them as more of a treat), and then pellets. Too many pelletscan lead to obesity and an unhealthy rabbit.

Hay is the MOST important thing you should feed a rabbit. Pellets should only be givin maybe 1/4 of a cup, not much.

This is true for an adult rabbit, but babies need pellets more just tobe sure that they are getting all the nutrients they need.You have to be careful about adding veggies, because you can upsettheir stomachs and give them diarrhea if you add them too quickly.

Palm, since this rabbit was wild and is so young, I would highlyrecommend not feeding it any treats at all until it is mucholder. All those treats are really unhealthy, despite whatthe packaging says. Plus he's not used to them, and theycould cause diarrhea or other problems. Actually, I'd takewhat you haven't opened back to the store.

For pellets, choose a good plain (no treats) pellet with atleast 18% fiber and 16% protein. Start feeding just atablespoon or so a day, and then slowly increase the amount to give thebaby time to get used to the new food. Baby rabbits shouldhave as much pellets as they want to eat, plus as much hay as they want.

Oh, and those healthy bits are nothealthy with all those seeds in them. Trust me, treats madefor rabbits are like giant-sized candy bars for kids. Surethey like them, but they are really, really unhealthy.

For treats, I feed a tiny bit of rolled oats (the slow-cooking Quakerkind), a raisin, or a bit of fruit like half a grape. Alwayssmall amounts, not those huge things that petstores sell.Some of those seed bars are the same size as my rabbits!:shock:

I agree. I stopped buying petstore treats, eventhe ones that have "healthy" in the title because I found they weren'tthe best things for a rabbit thats already a bit chunky. Also a smallhandfull of alfalfa hay is Pepsi's favourite little treat :).

I would not feed any of the feeds that have anyseeds or such in them. The plain pellet and hay andwater are the main feeds for a rabbit. I havedomestics. I don't feed them hay. Theyare on strictly pellets and water. I tried the hay cubes, butmost of the time they end up in the water pan and just become a hugemess. A good pellet is a complete, balancedfeed. I okay the unlimited hay, but notall the treat stuff. A half a grape, one raisen, wholeuncooked oats ... those are good treats. But over all, theLESS treats, the better.

Give that little one a kiss from me. Cotton tails are so darncute. When I was a kid, I raised several of them ... raised ajack rabbit, too. I lived on a farm, so "soft released" themwhen they were adult, so I had them with me for quite awhile.By soft releasing, I would put food out for them in case they didn'tknow what to do for sure. The cotton tails didn't stay tamevery long after they were released, but Jackie, my jack rabbit, stayedaround the building site for several years. I couldn't pickhim up any more, but I could talk to him.

ok so maybe one treat or so a week or maybe less
right now it has eaten maybe one and a half treats and has one in the cage wit it
so i dont know
i will let it eat the one it has now and from now on choose one or twoa week and for the next week steady diet of milk and thenslowly this week introduce hay and pellets (yet to buy) and then aftera week or two completely switch

ok so my plan for sure now
Limitless Hay Water And Pellets
once or twice a week treats
The above will start in 1-2 weeks

For now and for another week or so
milk and water
thats it

In just a few days i will begin giving small amounts of hay
then will increase hay and decrease milk slowly for a week or so untilits dependent on hay and pellets and treats once or twice a week

ok well he is much more lively now
he runs away and around when i put my hand in the cage and when i holdhim instead of sitting there watching he runs around my arm and suchand runs around
and he bites me!
not hard or painful but is this bad? is he playing or does he want to leave or what? HELP!

He could playing. He is a baby animalafterall. He may be attempting to groom you or trying to showyou that you're lower than him on the totem pole. You cantrain him out of nipping. When he nips you, give a small,high-pitched "ouch!" or a shriek- not too loud, mind. He'slearn that he's hurting you and that his behavior is inappropriate.

He could also be upset if you're restricting his movement toomuch. Few rabbits enjoy being picked up or held.They'd rather play on the floor while we sit or lie down withthem. If this only happens when you're trying to cuddle withhim, don't do it so often. Let him play in a bunnyproofedarea with you and some toys instead.

ok great thanks
also
he is doing good

have not really noticed any more poo or pea but have not looked
i am still bottle feedin and wipin hind end

He's probably just playing. Devon likes to nip me when he wants to me to get out of his way:).

Probably just playing or love nips. Pepsi alwaysnips my arm when I'm scratching her head but I usually just move my armslightly away when I see her getting into her "nip" position. Keep upthe good work! Most rabbits love playing with you on the ground likenaturesee said.

Just make sure you moniter his poop and pee outcome very closely. No poop or pee can be a cause for concern.

:D:D
thats hard to do as its all so small
but i will try to start
also will continue to wipe hind end
and tommorrow i go to buy hay and pellets

peter died thrusday
i walked in to feed him and there he lay
please dont blame me because i tried very hard
i still am not over it
hours crying has been horrible
and crying now
is just as bad

Peter had 9 days of life inyour care.Who knows how much longer he would have lived had he beenreleasedearlier? Sometimes in Nature it's a crap shoot.

I suppose it was just meant to be.

Blyre

I'm really sorry to hear thisnews. I guess one thing we should all remember thatlife offers no guarantees that it will continue ... whether in the wildor domestic ... whether human or otherwise. For all thesuccesses, there are just as many failures. From thefailures, we sometimes learn valuable lessons. Crying won'tbring him back, but it lessens the tensions in your bodysomewhat. I'm 61 and I still cry when I lose one ofmy critter kids. ((((((((((((HUGS!)))))))))))

thank you all except blyre who was a bitnegative by saying what he did about him living longer in the wildwhich is not true as he was not old enough imho
but thanks anyway

palm9999 wrote:
thank you all except blyre who was a bit negative by sayingwhat he did about him living longer in the wild which is not true as hewas not old enough imho
but thanks anyway

Please don't take my comments as negative or personal because I standby my original comment about the bunny needing to bereleasedback into the wild. I kept track of your progress and I surmised youdid your best to keep the little guy going.

It was a wild animal with a completely different set of needs from thedomesticated variety. Hopefully, if you decide to try something likethis again, you've learned a lesson that can be applied later.

On that note, I will now leave this thread. Take care, Palm9999, and I AM sorry for your loss.

Blyre

Latest posts

Back