Kiara's Going Back To The Vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Today was supposed to be the first day with no drops for Kiara and although her eyes did look a little bit better, she has to go back tomorrow.

Around her eyes has always been a little wet but I assumed that was the drops leaking out with time. But today I cleaned her face real well and used the hair drier (on low and warm) to try to dry it. Well an hour later I went to check to see if it helped and her cheeks were all wet again.

I called my brother-in-law to see if he could call his mom in themorning and get her to ask if there is anything else I can do or if sheneeds to go back into the vet (she works for the vet). He calledtonight and she told him to bring her in anyways.

I did mention to him that her teeth are crooked and I'm worried, after reading someone's post on a forum, that the teeth may be the problem. The person posted saying that the roots of the teeth can irritate nerves causing runny eyes. I think that's what was said, correct me if I'm wrong.

It just happens he's going to see his mom tomorrow so he will just take her with him. I really want to go but I have school and I can't miss,and going in the evening isn't an option because the vet is about 1.5-2hours away.

So fingers crossed that my baby is ok and that it's nothing serious. I can't bear the thought of losing her after having her for such a short time.

Oh, I hope everything is ok, but so glad your getting her in right away! You and her are in my thoughts/prayers!

Please keep us posted....

oh no!

I have seriously fallen in love with Kiara, she is such a beauty! Ireally hope that she will be okay. You and Kiara wil have many manyprayers from our house tonight.

LOL

Nicole.

oh, wow... Iwouldn't have even thought about the teeth with runny eyes. I'm gladyou are right on top of things. Let us know what you findout.

Thanks everyone, it's been a horrible few weeksand I question more and more if I was meant to get Kiara at all.:sad:Things just keep going wrong.

The great thing about my brother-in-law's mom working for a vet is thatI always get the rabbit in the day someone goes out there. Tomorrowhe'll just take Kiara there before the surgeries and she'll be sqeezedin. That cuts down on my waiting and worry time.

I just wont be able to concentrate all day with my baby at the vet.

i don't think I would have associated weeping eyes with teeth normallybut it has been playing in the back of my mind since I read that.

I'm hoping she's okay.

About what I said on the tooth roots- this is much more common in olderrabbits, especially thosewho have been having their teethtrimmed. Kiara is so young that I doubt this is aproblem. Your vet could do an xray to rule it out, though.

My bet is a stubborn infection.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
I did mention to him that her teeth are crooked and I'm worried, afterreading someone's post on a forum, that the teeth may be the problem.The person posted saying that the roots of the teeth can irritatenerves causing runny eyes. I think that's what was said, correct me ifI'm wrong.

Yes, teeth problems are a common cause of "weepy eye".

Pam

Oh you poor bugger, I think you were meant to have Kiara! It may seemas though things crop up all the time, but I am sure she is very luckyto have you in here life, maybe that's why she is meant to be with you,because you DO care.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I'm not ruling out the teeth roots causingweeping eyes because it has gotten progressively worse since her firstvet visit and shortly after I noticed her teeth seemed crooked. Whathappens if that is the problem? Do they have to remove the teeth?

I'm hoping it's just an infection that antibiotics can clear up.

GREAT NEWS!! Kiara has ALLERGIES!:DThe vet isn't 100% sure but believes that's the problem andgave me drops to clear it up. I cannot use straw with her and the haynow has to be shaken and misted with a water bottle to keep the dustdown. It makes complete sense now that I think on it, her eyes gotworse shortly after I took the cardboard hiding box out and replaced itwith the insulated wood box that I fill with straw to keep them warm.

That leads me to my next question, what is the best thing to use withoutside rabbits in an insulated area? I used to use straw and I stilldo with the boys but I have to find something else. I was thinkingshredded paper will be my best bet, what do you think?

And just another note, I never really knew for sure if her teeth werecrooked or if it just was her not clenching her teeth together. Wellthe vet looked and said her teeth are perfect so there's one less worry!

I'm overjoyed at the good news!

Thats WONDERFUL!!! (well not that she hasallergies, but that is nothing more major!) Shouldn't be a big deal tofigure it out. I'm so happy for you both!

Allergies is a lot better than other things thatcould cause the same thing. And it's something you can control. I justfeel bad, I have allergies so I can sympathize with her.;)But hey, it's better than anything else.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Allergies is a lot better than other things that could causethe same thing. And it's something you can control. I just feel bad, Ihave allergies so I can sympathize with her. ;)But hey, it'sbetter than anything else.
Yeah..thats what I was trying to getat! LOL! :p

Yea Kiara is okay!!! I am so relieved,I've been reading this and praying very hard for you both. Iwish I could help you with the bedding situation but I really don'tknow. I bet you are so relieved. I know allergies stink but compared towhat might have been allergies are very treatable. I am so happy foryou both.

Tina

I can't use regular pet bedding. I live inCanada so I need something she can burrow in. The box itself is 2layers of plywood with 1/2" styrofoam between so shredded paper shouldbe good. I'll probably giver her an old shirt to snuggle into as longas she doesn't start chewing (so far she doesn't chew on material).

Latest posts

Back