Neem Oil

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helix5

Reaction score
Hello, I have a garden and I'm growing herbs for my rabbit along with vegetables for my family. I want to use Neem Oil diluted in water as an organic way to treat for pests and aphids. If I do this, would the herbs treated with this be safe for my rabbit to ingest? I would rinse the herbs first but I want to make sure they'd be safe for him. Thank you!

There is a toxicity level (LD50) of neem oil, with rabbits. Though it's likely much more than would normally be encountered as the residue on a plant that's been sprayed.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3419203/

But I can't say if or what harm lower levels of ingestion might cause, as there really isn't any information I could find regarding it. Also, the taste of it could deter a rabbit wanting to eat anything sprayed with it.

I always just used a dawn dish soap/water solution around plants, when spraying for bugs with exoskeletons, as dawn is generally considered pet safe, when used externally at least. But I did thoroughly rinse off any greens I picked to give to my rabbits as well.

There is a toxicity level (LD50) of neem oil, with rabbits. Though it's likely much more than would normally be encountered as the residue on a plant that's been sprayed.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3419203/

But I can't say if or what harm lower levels of ingestion might cause, as there really isn't any information I could find regarding it. Also, the taste of it could deter a rabbit wanting to eat anything sprayed with it.

I always just used a dawn dish soap/water solution around plants, when spraying for bugs with exoskeletons, as dawn is generally considered pet safe, when applied externally at least. But I did thoroughly rinse off any greens I picked to give to my rabbits as well.

I don't use neem oil on anything we're going to eat. I've heard the same suggestion about just using a strong water sprayer.

Hello, I have a garden and I'm growing herbs for my rabbit along with vegetables for my family. I want to use Neem Oil diluted in water as an organic way to treat for pests and aphids. If I do this, would the herbs treated with this be safe for my rabbit to ingest? I would rinse the herbs first but I want to make sure they'd be safe for him. Thank you!
might want to check out diatomaceous earth and how people use it with gardens - it might work great for what you're looking for and it's pretty affordable, too

Latest posts

Back