Jazz just had babies *URGENT ADVICE NEEDED*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's his face cut? He's actually doing well. I think getting him passed the first few days is the biggest hurdle. Not out of the woods so to speak, but he's doing well.

His face cut is looking very good.

I just gave him a tummy massage. When I did, his little bladder worked but still no bunny poop.

I found out where all the little specks were coming from, they were hardened blood from out his nose, just from the birth etc I presume, anyway he can breathe better now because his nose is clearer.

I can't help but wonder if some of what you saw really was poop. See the little speck below -

bunnage_poopin.jpg

Thank you ec!!:D

I really am only guessing at pretty much everything here, its a great relief to think that it very possible that baby's digestive system may be working well.

When I gave him a tummy massage, there were no hard lumpy areas, his tummy was smooth and soft. The massage was a bit scary to do as he is so fragile and his skin is satiny and stretchy.

Its freaky. Hope I can keep him going well. He is due for a feed soon, which will be the 3rd today and his 6th since he was born.

he is having 4 feeds every 24hours.

Is this okay?

Off to get Jazz, its call to duty time;)

How CUUUUUUTE! Baby looks well hydrated, wound looks like it's healing, you are doing an awesome job! :sickbunny:You are an excellent bunny nurse!

He's gotten his fur! He's black! and shiney like his mama!

He looks great! I am so proud of you.

As far as feeds, I don't know about 4 times.... I thought 2 or 3 but that's not for me to say as I have not raised baby bunners.

You made me smile so big with those photos! Thank you!

Just looked at the latest pics - what a cutie (Jazz, too)!

:)

First of all - you're doing an EXCELLENT job. I hope that baby grows up to realize how lucky he/she is to have you watching over him/her.

I don't know if the baby "needs" four feedings per day. I'm not saying don't have him eat that much - it is reassuring to see him eat I'm sure. I just want to say that if he doesn't seem to eat as much as you think he should ... that might be why. Most does in the wild will feed their rabbits once a day. Most of my mamas feed once or twice.

With that said - I've also had does that just seemed to LIKE to feed their babies and they would feed "on demand". I just lost one of my favorite does - Ma'am...and she would feed whenever a baby popped its head up looking for food. She had the happiest babies I've ever seen almost...and she did an awesome job with them. She only had the one litter (and she wound up fostering so she had a total of 7 babies)...and she had a ton of milk it seemed like. At one point some babies had gotten out of the nestbox attached to her nipple and she had two nests going and she'd feed one nest and then an hour or so later head for the other nest.

I've also had mamas that had single babies and the babies got fed a lot and they had huge tummies - they looked like they were going to burst at times and they were rolly-polly....and then as they grew - they slimmed out to look the way they were supposed to.

My biggest concern is the bunny not pooing. The best way to get them to pee and poo is to take a warm, damp cloth and wipe their privates to stimulate them to pee and poo. A mama will normally lick her babies there when she's done nursing in order to get them to do this...so you're trying to imitate that licking action of her tongue. I like to use a washcloth that is warm and slightly damp (maybe a bit more than slightly damp).

As a warning...do not be holding the baby with its privates facing you when you do this....because if it is a boy - it may "shoot" at you (not knowing you're there)....in fact, this is a good time to see if it is a boy or girl because a boy will be more of a fountain and a girl will dribble (although even that isn't always guaranteed).

I don't like to massage their tummies at this age if I can help it...I guess I'm just paranoid. But the warm, wet cloth trick should work - and it may take 3 or 4 minutes to get them to pee and poo but they'll feel relieved (and you will too).

Once again - congrats on the baby - its looking so cute!

Peg

I must admit, massagig a newborn kit is just too freaky for me:shock: and warm cloth strokes are better.

Baby has pooped, tiny tiny soft round balls after a feed. :cool:

After more reading up, its time to focus a bit on Jazz, I need to check her nipples for mastitis.
She is eating and drinking well and seems settled.

Baby has black fur just behind her head.

I will post more later. I have had 2 hours sleep as my own beautiful baby daughter Sophia (8months old) still has quite nasty colic, I accidentally had some dairy food yesterday and we have had an almost completely sleepless night.

Sophia may not get mentioned much but she is a sling baby (with her me almost ALL the time).

She pulled herself into a sitting position yesterday for the first time.
With all the goings on in the house it would seem that my buns are the center of it all!
Not so, Sophia, Ingrid and Jonah (8 months, 6years, 11 years) get almost all of my time and Jazz and her new kit get the rest.
Today I did a quick 1.5hours housework blitz as soon as the family woke because no housework has been done since Jazz surprised us.

I have to keep the house clean as Jazz, new kit and my kids need it that way (Sophia is learnign to crawl), we live at the beach, my house is a hot wooden bach, there is a water tank right next to it and its very humid so without cleaning, flies and all sorts of issues arise making hygiene is very important factor.

Dad is holding Sophia at the moment, he usually works 12 hours a day or more so to have him home (its Sunday) gives me a chance for a cuppa.

Off for my cuppa:biggrin2:

Update coming after the next feed.

By the way...a HUGE BIG WONDEFUL thank you to all the posts which have given me the most valuable advice, support and even life saving tips for the new baby!!!
There are so many people to thank that its hard to list you all.

Ta muchy moo
Lisa

Oh! You're doing so well! I had to go away for the last day and a half with my daughter, and I was wondering about your little baby, but he looks great! The cuts are so much better, and isn't he cute with his baby fur?

The little ears crack me up! Because we've only had N. Dwarf babies, I'm not used tolong earson a newborn. This is what ours look like:

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd258/pskwirut/?action=view&current=100_0758.jpg

They grow so fast. I can't wait until they are all fluffy and hopping around.

I was wondering, is your doe territorial? Ours is, and she was aggressive toward her first litter, but she got used to them and turned out to be a great mom. This is her third litter in the picture.

Got a new problem on my hands here:

My ginger Tom, Henry, 12 years old and extremely possesive of laps and attention etc has starting showing signs of aggression towards Jazz.

Before this BK ruled the house and chased Henry away from Jazz, protecting her etc.

Jazz is a very small rabbit. Henry has recently cottoned on to the fact that she is frightened of him. Up until today, Henry simply stopped ignoring her or runing away from her and now occassioanlly gives her a light swipe as she dashes past in fear of her life.

Poor Jazz.
There were no issues before and now Henry is getting extremely jealous and he is a heavy cat too.
He bit me today (totally out of his character) as I smelt like the little Kit and he will at any given opportuniy, tear the nest apart for the Kit.

We of course have Kit well secured from any cats and in our small house, I am going to try make a space just for Mum and baby but Jazz loves her freedom and I could not imagine caging her. She may become resentful and she still cannot be trusted around her baby.

My other cat Amber, playfully chases Jazz but gives up quickly.

Henry on the other hand was actually seen stalking her today.

I had a short nap this afternoon and had a mini nightmare about Henry getting to Jazz or the baby when I am not around.

I think Henry is angry about the presence of rabbits in the house. Kruger bullied Henry a lot and so it was partially a relief to see Kruger go to his new forever home (he was my foster bun).
Henry will become even more put out if he is made to become a mostly outdoor cat as he HATES being outside ( we even have to cut his nails because he can't be seen climbing a tree!).

I am briefly at a loss.
I need to find a livable solution here but Kit will be tiny for ages and will be defenseless for months and months.

Kits life has been a scary rollercoaster and now my old Tom is vengeful and dangerous to Jazz.

Tonight Henry is outside with an old baby seat as a bed with a blankie he loves and water etc.

Jazz as usual will be with me and Kit upstairs with me and baby where I can keep a constant eye or ear on them.

One good claw form Henry could send Jazz to the vets or set up a wound and infection...please dear God, don't let me go back there again. I am not sure I could handle the sleeplessness.
I already only sleep 4 or 5 hours a night at the most.

I have gotten myself very emotional today again, I miss BK terribly, I am sure he would love the new Kit as much as he loves Jazz.
BK is such a lovely little man and I wish I could have him to cuddle.

I also miss the other Kits, I absolutely HATED burying their tiny bodies but come to think of it, they mostly seemed DOA and even too small. I am no go djudge of that but our Kit is HUGE in comparison to his brothers and sisters.

And of course I am sad for Jazz, at his time we are trying to re-aquaint her with er nest and her baby. She is very interested.
Just have to be careful. She misses her kits and her mothering instinct is just all outta tune.

Is there any way of separating them? Like not allowing the cat out into the main part of the house. Aggressive cats aren't safe for people either since they can cause really bad infections if they bite you. I would worry about Sophia as well if he's being nasty to everyone.

When you say ginger Tom - is that a non-neutered boy?

Back