Is this an infection?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ostracize

Reaction score
I‘m worried that this could be serious since ive read that medical problems in rabbits are pretty hard to spot behavior wise. I dont think hes been acting too differently, but he does eat about half of the food he should (going off his breed’s average weight and the food bag). Im not able to see a vet anytime soon so i dont know what i would do if this turned out to be serious. If it helps, hes a 2 yr old new zealand rabbit we adoptedIMG_4029.jpeg

Not likely an infection. An infection will have white pus, or the pus may look grayish or yellowish when dried. So maybe a bug bite, or slight possibility of the beginning of ear mites.

I would suggest keeping an eye on it. If it doesn't heal or gets worse, have it checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet. Or if you have any concerns, best to consult the vet.

Medirabbit: ear mites

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/

Not likely an infection. An infection will have white pus, or the pus may look grayish or yellowish when dried. So maybe a bug bite, or slight possibility of the beginning of ear mites.

I would suggest keeping an eye on it. If it doesn't heal or gets worse, have it checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet. Or if you have any concerns, best to consult the vet.

Medirabbit: ear mites

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
Alright, thank you a lot! :DD

Looking through the rabbit chapter of Patterson's Skin Diseases of Exotic Pets doesn't show anything like that. The area in question appears to be around what I'm assuming are sebaceous glands (where hair grows from).

JBun gave you a good diagnostic for infection. Another potential cause of skin issues is mites. This can be diagnosed via a tape test: gently press a small piece of clear tape against the skin a few times and view under a microscope or higher-magnification loupe.

Just like with humans, there are many different dermatological conditions that can arise from a variety of sources. Some require medical intervention, while others are merely cosmetic. Keep an eye out for any changes to your rabbit's condition and give the ear a quick look over every day for a couple weeks. If it worsens or spreads to a larger area or other areas of his body, you'll want to seek veterinary attention. Hopefully, it will slowly heal on its own.

Back