Is my bunny ok or am I just paranoid?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbbyc

Reaction score
Hi, first time bunny mommy I recently(1 month and a week ago) just adopted my furbaby Astro (age unknown but from how his poop was in the beginning I’d guess 3-4 months old less than a year I’d say) but when I first got him he was drinking water and eating 24/7. The past 2-3 days now he hasn’t really been drinking his water and his poop has been crumbly but he’s still eating I mean EATING a lot and zoomies everywhere. He’s also gotten a bit bigger as well I’ve tried putting a lil water in with his veggies the first day I’ve noticed his poop crumbles and he just ate it up normally but he still had poopy crumbles last night and today I’ve tried only giving him his hay without veggies he eats up ALL the hay and drunk about 1/2-1inch of water but he chooses to stay in his litter box eating hay for 1-2 hours I haven’t seen and crumbles all day today and he’s taking a few licks of water rn as I write this. Am I doing something wrong????

He’s a indoor bunny he lives with me in my room and sleeps on my bed rn I have him in his play pen so I can monitor him in one area.

Attachments

• BBF08DE6-27B6-4642-A841-B25F07AAB298.jpeg
    BBF08DE6-27B6-4642-A841-B25F07AAB298.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 13
  • 84BA26A4-EC58-469B-B672-F0B0EA36099C.jpeg
    84BA26A4-EC58-469B-B672-F0B0EA36099C.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 14
  • B0F79632-B149-4F01-97D7-B029AE0C4AE6.jpeg
    B0F79632-B149-4F01-97D7-B029AE0C4AE6.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 14
  • E09D0B91-34E7-454F-968B-8DE197B17D22.jpeg
    E09D0B91-34E7-454F-968B-8DE197B17D22.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 14
Any chance you could show us a picture of what his poop looks like? And what is his diet/amounts? It's also a little unclear from your post, but is he pooping at all today? Not pooping for 24 hours is definitely an emergency. Have you established care with a rabbit-savvy vet yet? That info will help us get a better idea of if there may be a problem or if your bunny is just behaving a little differently.

He could be going through a change as he ages out of the teenage stage (all of my rabbits were eating and drinking machines as youngsters then matured into having more defined eating times.) If none of the big red flags are happening indicating an illness (not pooping, peeing, eating, showing interest in usual activities) there could be a lot of other reasons for a new change in behavior.

I try to avoid being overly paranoid or placating without all the information, there could be a lot of reasons for the change in behavior you're describing.

So far that sounds all pretty good. Poops aren't always the same, and if there was a change in diet when you got him, or change in activity level, some changes aren't a surprise. I find crumbly poops too, that is when they eat more roughage like coarse hay, which is a good thing. Eating lots of hay, drinking noticeable additional to what he gets from veggies, being active are signs for a happy healthy bunny. And yes, there are changes and phases when growing up too. Also from getting used to his new place.

Any chance you could show us a picture of what his poop looks like? And what is his diet/amounts? It's also a little unclear from your post, but is he pooping at all today? Not pooping for 24 hours is definitely an emergency. Have you established care with a rabbit-savvy vet yet? That info will help us get a better idea of if there may be a problem or if your bunny is just behaving a little differently.

He could be going through a change as he ages out of the teenage stage (all of my rabbits were eating and drinking machines as youngsters then matured into having more defined eating times.) If none of the big red flags are happening indicating an illness (not pooping, peeing, eating, showing interest in usual activities) there could be a lot of other reasons for a new change in behavior.

I try to avoid being overly paranoid or placating without all the information, there could be a lot of reasons for the change in behavior you're describing.
He’s been pooping everyday just some poops were crumbly

So far that sounds all pretty good. Poops aren't always the same, and if there was a change in diet when you got him, or change in activity level, some changes aren't a surprise. I find crumbly poops too, that is when they eat more roughage like coarse hay, which is a good thing. Eating lots of hay, drinking noticeable additional to what he gets from veggies, being active are signs for a happy healthy bunny. And yes, there are changes and phases when growing up too. Also from getting used to his new place.
Ok great because I’ve been up all night going through his litter box pinching his poos to see if any or all crumble but I haven’t found nun so far and all he’s done is eat hay and lay down while taking a few licks of water I haven’t seen much crumblies and I was thinking of starting to give him his veggies again today and bring down the pen or should I give it another day? Today will make day 3 of him in the pen and the second day of only hay and water

He should have unlimited hay day and night as well as the water. I would continue to give him his veggies as you did before. My guy gets crumbles here and there as well. I think the concern needs to be if they are really wet and mushy.

He should have unlimited hay day and night as well as the water. I would continue to give him his veggies as you did before. My guy gets crumbles here and there as well. I think the concern needs to be if they are really wet and mushy.
He does 25/8 but i think I got a different problem here and I’m EXTREMELY PUZZLED so while in his pen for those last 2 days he hasn’t had any crumbles at all right. I incorporated veggies back slowly and still no crumbles. Sounds great right? But now I’ve caught him doing something I can’t even find an answer about on google. First 3 days I got him and he peed on my bed fine I just wash my sheets mattress cover and mattress and properly litter train him in his pen for a week. After that week he has not peed or poop anywhere but in his litter of course he’s not perfect (even though he is😩❤️) so little coco puffs here and there no biggie even on my bed but that too stops as well cool. A week ago I change my sheets few days after that’s when I started seeing the crumbles on the edge of my bed and it would be right under him like he’s hiding it that’s why I did the 3days in the pen and made this account and asked for advice. So here’s what I’m confused on idk if this is normal or not google isn’t helping at all but um I just watch this boy crush up his poop into my bed right in between my legs like he actually crushed up his poop and layed on it. Is that normal? Do bunnies purposely crush there poop into things?

Yes, my guy does this too every now and then. There will be poops here and there because let's face it, they are pooping machines 🙄 I dont know why they crumble them. I kind of figured it was just another way of marking their spot. I really wouldn't worry so much. It sounds like he is perfectly fine.

Yes, my guy does this too every now and then. There will be poops here and there because let's face it, they are pooping machines 🙄 I dont know why they crumble them. I kind of figured it was just another way of marking their spot. I really wouldn't worry so much. It sounds like he is perfectly fine.
Is it because I changed my sheets is that why he’s crumbling poopy on it? Cause he covers my in it too 😩 he was licking everything before tho. I’m just happy it’s not dehydration

Yeah, I think so. Nice clean sheets need his scent lol when I hold Jack when I am sitting he likes to sit up on my chest and he grooms my face like crazy. I swear its his way of claiming me lol

Yeah, I think so. Nice clean sheets need his scent lol when I hold Jack when I am sitting he likes to sit up on my chest and he grooms my face like crazy. I swear its his way of claiming me lol
Is there a way to get him to stop making crumbles like he’ll chew on his poop and spit onto my bed 😩

Is there a way to get him to stop making crumbles like he’ll chew on his poop and spit onto my bed 😩
Some rabbits just do that (i.e., (try to) eat their normal poop) for various reasons. It's not really a behavior you can stop, but ensure that your rabbit has access to plenty of good hay and is eating it to ingest the appropriate amount of fiber, as some people believe eating normal poo can be a sign of low fiber (though how valid that is I'm unsure).

Some rabbits just do that (i.e., (try to) eat their normal poop) for various reasons. It's not really a behavior you can stop, but ensure that your rabbit has access to plenty of good hay and is eating it to ingest the appropriate amount of fiber, as some people believe eating normal poo can be a sign of low fiber (though how valid that is I'm unsure).
He’s not eating it tho he just spits it out and he only does that in the corner of my bed or in between my legs no where else I wish I could upload a video it’s just weird😭 plus he eats his hay a lot I have to refill it every 3-4 hours he’s only 3-4lbs

Edit: if I clean it off he goes back to that corner and does it again 😩 I’ve cleaned crumbles off my bed 3 time in a hour two in the same spot and one when he was laying in between my legs

Lol. I would just leave it if it's in the corner. He obviously wants it there lol

Eating all that hay is good for him

He’s not eating it tho he just spits it out and he only does that in the corner of my bed or in between my legs no where else I wish I could upload a video it’s just weird😭 plus he eats his hay a lot I have to refill it every 3-4 hours he’s only 3-4lbs

Edit: if I clean it off he goes back to that corner and does it again 😩 I’ve cleaned crumbles off my bed 3 time in a hour two in the same spot and one when he was laying in between my legs
Sometimes rabbits will do this when they go to eat cecotropes -- there's normal poop in the mix so they put it to the side, sometimes a good number of them, while eating cecotropes in between.

Re: the corner of your bed specifically, rabbits really enjoy marking beds. That sort of an inevitability most of the time.

Back