Is my bunny ok or am I just paranoid?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes rabbits will do this when they go to eat cecotropes -- there's normal poop in the mix so they put it to the side, sometimes a good number of them, while eating cecotropes in between.

Re: the corner of your bed specifically, rabbits really enjoy marking beds. That sort of an inevitability most of the time.
Yes in that corner only and idk how to properly explain it like I watch him pick up the poop in his mouth chew spit it on the bed pat on it then grab another poo and start doing the same chew spit chew chew spit and pat it in under him to lay on it in that corner

Edit: if I catch him in the act I’ll try getting it on camera. Cause Ik he smart it took 3mins for him to learn what up ups are when I need him to jump up to somewhere. I think he’s a man in a bunny body

I cannot count the amount of "crumbly" poop Storm has left on my winter bed. He's slowly stopped digging in it as often, so that's good. He's aged up from adolescense.
But the poops-whenever he comes for a visit there, and especially when he beg-loafs for scritches and cheek massage; whenever he decides to up and leave, lo and behold, i get a poop or two, sometimes a whole pile right where he sat.
He'll visit, leave poos and then come visit again and stomp them flat. You best believe a foot the size of an adult's hand will have enough weight and force to crush stuff even on soft surfaces. There i have it, crumbly poos.

The dude fancies digging at duvet just when i'm noon-napping, and going for the most protruding point of me when i don't give him food that he desires, even if it's my own supper, or a dessert that he shouldn't have a taste of. I've lost count of how many times he's nipped the pointiest part of my chest because of it. Luckily i'm a flat lady so there's not much for him to bite; but when he hops on my sleeping body, he's got a nice cushion in the form of my belly. And his nips leave bruises!

I discovered that Iris hates fireworks. Storm couldn't care less, he continued his snoozing. She zoomed all over the place, so i took her into a sheltered hug. She grunted at me.
When she visits the bed, she'll sometimes dig at it like pounding dough, then flattening it out along with herself.
She'll come and bump me square in the schnozz with her own, so if she's just come "from the spa", i'll get wet lips 'cause her chin would be wet. Not gonna mention Storm, he's worse because he's got french lop double chin and hippo-face. If he were to come bump me right after the spa, my whole face would be wet!

I've found that rabbit whiskers and skin are as much touch-sensitive as humans'. Iris once bumped my screen and wrote a jumble of stuff in chat, Storm's droopy ears have messed up send buttons, and when he wants my attention and grabs my phone, it will most definetly do something i don't want it to, because the sir's mouth is also screen-compatible.
When he decides to flop next to me and purrs when i give him cheek massage, he'll "brrr" his foot (As does Iris) and spread his moustache. Right. Into. My. Nostrils.

I've not found a brush that is effective for my buggers. Slicker brush pins straight up broke, dog flea combs don't get anything, even the hairbuster-type comb didn't get anything, and i'm too stingy to spend 25€ on the furminator cat weekly deshed brush. I would if i knew that it would work for sure.
For Storm, gentle hand-plucking works best. I bet he's perpetually shedding, all year round, for the rest of his life. If i want to get floof off Iris, i just have to pet her and fur will fly. I'd pluck her too but she'll flee if i even dare to try.

So yeah, rabbits are, as Preitler said, furry bags full of mixed surprises.

Last edited:
I cannot count the amount of "crumbly" poop Storm has left on my winter bed. He's slowly stopped digging in it as often, so that's good. He's aged up from adolescense.
But the poops-whenever he comes for a visit there, and especially when he beg-loafs for scritches and cheek massage; whenever he decides to up and leave, lo and behold, i get a poop or two, sometimes a whole pile right where he sat.
He'll visit, leave poos and then come visit again and stomp them flat. You best believe a foot the size of an adult's hand will have enough weight and force to crush stuff even on soft surfaces. There i have it, crumbly poos.

The dude fancies digging at duvet just when i'm noon-napping, and going for the most protruding point of me when i don't give him food that he desires, even if it's my own supper, or a dessert that he shouldn't have a taste of. I've lost count of how many times he's nipped the pointiest part of my chest because of it. Luckily i'm a flat lady so there's not much for him to bite; but when he hops on my sleeping body, he's got a nice cushion in the form of my belly. And his nips leave bruises!

I discovered that Iris hates fireworks. Storm couldn't care less, he continued his snoozing. She zoomed all over the place, so i took her into a sheltered hug. She grunted at me.
When she visits the bed, she'll sometimes dig at it like pounding dough, then flattening it out along with herself.
She'll come and bump me square in the schnozz with her own, so if she's just come "from the spa", i'll get wet lips 'cause her chin would be wet. Not gonna mention Storm, he's worse because he's got french lop double chin and hippo-face. If he were to come bump me right after the spa, my whole face would be wet!

I've found that rabbit whiskers and skin are as much touch-sensitive as humans'. Iris once bumped my screen and wrote a jumble of stuff in chat, Storm's droopy ears have messed up send buttons, and when he wants my attention and grabs my phone, it will most definetly do something i don't want it to, because the sir's mouth is also screen-compatible.
When he decides to flop next to me and purrs when i give him cheek massage, he'll "brrr" his foot (As does Iris) and spread his moustache. Right. Into. My. Nostrils.

I've not found a brush that is effective for my buggers. Slicker brush pins straight up broke, dog flea combs don't get anything, even the furminator-type comb didn't get anything, and i'm too stingy to spend 25€ on the furminator cat weekly deshed brush. I would if i knew that it would work for sure.
For Storm, gentle hand-plucking works best. I bet he's perpetually shedding, all year round, for the rest of his life. If i want to get floof off Iris, i just have to pet her and fur will fly. I'd pluck her too but she'll flee if i even dare to try.

So yeah, rabbits are, as Preitler said, furry bags full of mixed surprises.
Did you try putting a thick rubber band on the dog flea comb? That’s what I have for Astro (cat flea comb) and it works great to touch it up after I comb him I damp my hand and lightly pluck him while petting him and the hairs would stick to my hands

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 3
It might be what John said about cecotrope eating. I've noticed one of my rabbits doing this before, and it seemed like it coincided just prior to cecotropes coming out and getting eaten. They can tell the cecals are about to be expelled, but there are still a few fecal balls before this happens. So instinctively they will reach down there to start eating their cecals, but end up starting to chew on fecal balls before realizing they're the wrong poop, so just spit them out.

But if it is him marking with his scent, you could try providing him with a small fleece blanket of his own that he can get his scent on and that you don't wash(at least for a while), so that when you do wash your sheets you're not washing his established scent away. Also he's not neutered right? So if you get him neutered then this habit could possibly go away. Hormonal rabbits are more inclined to mark things. Once neutered, this behavior could lessen, and sometimes it will stop completely. How much it changes with neutering is different witth each rabbit. Just be glad he's not trying to spray you with urine to mark you, which is a common trait with intact bucks.

It might be what John said about cecotrope eating. I've noticed one of my rabbits doing this before, and it seemed like it coincided just prior to cecotropes coming out and getting eaten. They can tell the cecals are about to be expelled, but there are still a few fecal balls before this happens. So instinctively they will reach down there to start eating their cecals, but end up starting to chew on fecal balls before realizing they're the wrong poop, so just spit them out.

But if it is him marking with his scent, you could try providing him with a small fleece blanket of his own that he can get his scent on and that you don't wash(at least for a while), so that when you do wash your sheets you're not washing his established scent away. Also he's not neutered right? So if you get him neutered then this habit could possibly go away. Hormonal rabbits are more inclined to mark things. Once neutered, this behavior could lessen, and sometimes it will stop completely. How much it changes with neutering is different witth each rabbit. Just be glad he's not trying to spray you with urine to mark you, which is a common trait with intact bucks.
He is neutered and he does have a blanket plus a carpet area of his own where I’m pointing is the only place other than in between my legs he has made crumblesimage.jpg

Latest posts

Back