Is a non-neutered male rabbit harder to bond with a female rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had to set one of our rabbits Norm free Rabbit suddenly not eating (RIP) and because Lola was so attached to him we are thinking of adopting another male bun. We do not see signs of grieving yet but it has only been 5 days.

Oreo is a 10 year old senior who is not neutered.

Lola is spayed and is also 10 so we thought it would be a good fit. Plus it looks like Oreo might have a harder time finding a home due to his age.

Would the bonding process be more difficult due to him not being neutered?

Last edited:
Not in my experience, I now have the second intact buck as house bunny with my spayed Dotty.

Only issue is that the buck sometimes is a little too interested, following her around honking, spraying her sometimes and trying to hump her, Dotty patiently just keeps hopping away. It's only bad at certain times of the year, and my bucks were much younger, Herr Hase died at 5 and Pacino is 3 or 4 now.

Never had a serious issue, Dotty has several hiding places for times when she's fed up with his antics.

Thread about getting Herrn hase his cuddlebun:

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...bond-with-intact-buck-what-to-consider.92855/

Normally I would not recommend an intact buck for bonding. However, since this male is already advanced in years, it is possible that it could work. It will largely depend on how compatible their personalities are. It certainly is worth a "bunny date" to see if it has potential.

Back