Introducing Yofi :o)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know Yofi was modeling?

Yofistatue8-8-09.jpg

Okay, so Yofi was complaining to me that HIS thread had fallen to page 3, and how dare I let this happen to him?!? So here I am to boost his ego...er...thread.

:p

Actually, the real truth is that I ran away for a bit. (Apologies for just disappearing, and many many thanks to everybody who was concerned...:hug:) Stress of everyday life finally took it's toll, so I made hasty plans with my son one day, and we took separate flights - me from Ottawa, him from Toronto - and we both flew down to Halifax to visit my dad for a while. And I gotta say, I needed it. Mind you, the trip wasn't without some stress itself; my dad (who is pushing 85) neglected to tell me that he had been sick for three weeks prior to our visit. So when Stephen and I arrived we wound up taking care of him. I hadn'ty seen my dad in almost 3 years, so it was a bit disturbing to see how frail he'd become...but his temper and his colorful language hasn't languished in the least. ;) Oh yeah, and he had houseguests while we were there too - he'd warned me about them before we went down, but I didn't tell my son...apparently my dad's house is playing host to a nest of bats. I dared not tell Stephen beforehand, lest he throw up his arms in despair and scream like *a little girly* (Arnold Schwarzennegger term) and run for the hills.

LOL...the bat issue was rather funny too. Fortunately we only saw one bat, one time. But of all three people in the house, who did it choose to hang out around? Yep...Stephen...who is deathly afraid of anything wild that isn't a virtual screen image. Stephen had been sleeping on a sofa bed in the living room, and one morning I got up and opened the door to the room I was occupying. As soon as I did there was a whoosh of air, and a huge furry, razor-clawed, sharp-fanged demon swooped down and me in a satanistic rage. Okay, so I took a bit of poetic license there....a small brown cute fuzzy thing flew past, swooped and flew past again. And again. And again. After about the fourth swoop I managed to run through his airspace and darted into the living room, where Stephen was in a deep, sound sleep. The bat - who obviously was looking for a friend - followed me into the room and began to dance about the ceiling, flitting here and there and generally making himself known. Of course I remained level-headed about the whole thing, since I had told my dad that I adore all small creatures...and so I shook Stephen awake, saying, "Stephen, do you see that?! LOOK!" When he mumbled and moaned (and probably cursed me under his breath) I shook him harder, saying, "Stephen! There's a BAT in the room!!" He blinked one eye open at me, definitely did curse something, and then covered his head with a blanket. That's when I realized I was all alone. Well, me and...THE BAT.

I know my geriatric dad had been successful at getting rid of some of this flying rodent's relatives earlier in the month (or at least he claimed he did), so I figured, I could do the same thing. And that's when I came up with a brilliant idea...I'd take my thick woolly sweater and 'herd' the bat out of the house with it. All I had to do was open the back door, guide him to freedom, and that would be that. This plan would probably have worked well too, except for one thing...I had underestimated the ability of a bat to deny an eviction notice, once served. I crept into the den, slid the patio door and it's twin screen open, and then tiptoed back to the living room. The bat, of course, had now changed his location; he was once again swooping back and forth, back and forth, in the hallway. It was sort of like watching a winged trapeze artist performing a highwire act at a shriner's circus, only without the trapeze. Or the shriners. Or even the greasy popcorn.

Finally, after trying to time this kamikaze's aerial nosedives to the second, I took my sweater and began the first of many feeble attempts at influencing him to head into the den. SWOOSH! He'd fly by, and I'd wave my sweater. The bat would ignore it and veer up to the ceiling. SWOOSH! He'd fly by again, leathery wings aspread as my sweater would billow his way, only to have him switch gears to dart and sprint, avoidance radar on full alert. SWOOSH! He'd dive again, me frantically ducking and pluming my garment, him now laughing and shifting to turbo-thrusters. This went on for nearly ten minutes, until finally...finally...

He turned to avoid my flailing and wound up swooping right where I wanted him...into the back room and headed for the open door. Seeing my chance I ran after him, waving my sweater like a matador taunting a bull, and he at last saw that I meant business...and he bolted out the door and into the early morning light. At last I breathed a sigh of relief and went to shut the door. And suddenly...

SWOOSH!!!!!

The danged bat was back inside, once again darting and swooping maniacally around the room. What the...???? Was there something wrong with this little lemming on steroids? Did he not understand that the outdoors meant freedom, and all the free mosquitoes he could possibly ever dream of devouring? Did he have a death wish? Did he fail bat school?

It was then that I realized, this bat wasn't really all that dumb; he was simply frantic. He was trying to get back home. And the entrance to *home* seemed to be up in the attic...that square in the ceiling at the end of the hallway, which - I still shudder to think - probably housed every aunt, uncle, grandfather, grandmother, siblings and great-grand-siblings that formed his family tree. In fact, they were probably all roosting on - and adding to - that very family tree, up in the attic....all 2063...2064...2065 of them.

Well, this meant war. Bat war. I had to get this guy out of the house, simply because it had become an issue between myself and him. This time, it was personal. So I got my trusty sweater, wrapped it tight in my fists, and when the devilish little squeaker swooped down I screamed and ran at him with it...arms and fabric flying in a freakish display of weirdness. The bat, I swear, almost stopped in mid-air to look at me - probably wondering who in H-E-doublehockeysticks this crazy human was - and for a moment I thought I had him. But again I underestimated the determination of the lowly bat, for he flew away, up, up, up, high to the ceiling, circled around once, twice, three times....and then he divebombed. Right for my head.

Oddly, I don't recall making the girly scream that escaped my throat that morning. (Later it would be said that the residents of Redden Avenue awoke to an eerie howling cry, and some most likely considered calling animal control to find out if any wolves had suddenly migrated to the area. Art Bell was probably on a couple of others' lists to call...claiming that some alien monster had been heard shrieking its gutteral cry through the land.) All I can really remember is suddenly being in the living room once again, shaking my son and saying, "BAT...B...B...BAAAATTTT!!!" while he tunneled deeper into the safety of his coccooned bedding. And when I realized that I did not have reinforcements to back me up in my hour of need, I wantonly dropped all fear. I bravely strode into the shadow of the valley of the den, my sweater a flag of honor waving in the face of BAT, and I shook it at him. And just like that, he left. He saw the open door once more, took one last look at me and thought, 'Aw, fudge it....this isn't worth it...' and he was gone. So I leapt at the door and slid it shut, locking all bolts and then falling back onto the thick plate glass...sweaty, exhausted, and the victor.

Ten minutes later my dad got up, poured himself a bowl of cereal and settled down at the breakfast table next to me. Just before taking a huge mouthful of superduper bran crisp he looked at me and asked, 'What the hell was all the noise out here this morning?'

'Bat', I answered.

'Oh', he replied, and crunched down on his flakes.

And that was that.

And now for what you really wanted to see/hear about:

Yofi! (and Anna too, of course) and friends ;)

Anna enjoying a suntan:
sep1009160640x480.jpg

Marshmallow bunny:
sep1009165640x480.jpg

Just da two of dem:
sep1009042640x480.jpg

What happens when you try to capture a Yofi on camera:
sep1009068640x480.jpg

Part two:
sep1009066640x480.jpg

Fritz, sound asleep:
sep1009113640x480.jpg

Kaya enjoying the treat I brought back for her:
sep1009079640x480.jpg

Stephen and Kaya:
sep1009143640x480.jpg

Both of them on the swing (can you tell which one wanted DOWN?):
sep1009135640x480.jpg

Stephen sharing his orange:
sep1009148640x480.jpg

Lookit that ear!
sep1009146640x480.jpg

You know an orange is gud wen teh joos drips frum your chin:
sep1009149640x480.jpg

His Royal Highness, The Yofster:
sep1009151640x480.jpg

Wonderful to finally see you back and posting!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!

!!!!
!!
!
It was feeling like forever, but I was wondering if it was just me...

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful photos of your crew (and the brave bat catcher ;) !

aaww...thank you! :biggrin2: I hope all's been well with you, as well as with everybuddy else here too!

Hopefully I'll have more pics to post in the next while. I should add a couple of my niece's two children...esp. one of Skyler. He's the sweetest little guy! He just turned 5 and just started school this year. When he was 2, he was diagnosed with cancer (it was called a Wilm's tumor and was in his kidney, and was huge by the time they found it). The good news is, the success rate for complete cure is around 90%, and Skyler - after undergoing pretty gruelling treatment - is off all meds and just goes for regular checkups (YAY!). When I was in NS he and his sister (Jade) happened to be visiting their grandfather (my brother) so we got to see them both.

Skyler seemed to take a particular liking to me, following me everywhere, insisting I sit next to him at the dinner table, and also insisting that I accompany him on his great big adventure to China (to see the *Big Wall*, of course). I didn't think I'd have time to go with him, but it turned out he could have me there and back before supper was cooked. And we did. ;) I also made a bet with him that his dad wouldn't put any meat on my dinner plate, and Skyler insisted his dad gave everybody meat. So I told him that if I didn't get any meat, Skyler would have to pay me $5.00. Of course when the meals were served, David didn't give me any meat, knowing I am vegetarian...and so when I pointed this out to Skyler his little face twisted up and he said, "Well, he should have given you some!" So I told him that he owed me $5.00. He looked at me, then looked over at David and stated with a huge sigh, "Grandad...get your wallet out..."

hehe...

Anyway, will try and get some more pics up of bunnies and such on the weekend. :D

Di, so glad to see you posting! I was thinking about you yesterday (again), and wondering how you're doing.

Congratulations to the conquering hero: Diane, the Bat Slayer! Okay, so you didn't slay him...but you were MUCH braver than I would have been. I would have been under the blanket with Stephen, screaming like a little girly!! Bats...GROSSS!

Glad you were able to get away for a few days. A change of scenery really does help. :)

Thanks for the Anna-n-Yofi pictures. That always makes my day. The picture of Fritz suntanning his tummy cracks me up, too. Our black cat Buddy does that, and sometimes I think he will spontaneously combust. :biggrin2:

Tomorrow we are going to a rabbit show, and a friend of ours has 3 baby E-Lops. DANGER!! DANGER!! She can, as my hubby says, sell ice to Eskimoes. And Dave (perhaps me too?) would be a willing victim of the full court press: Look at these adorable, long eary lagomorphs..don't you WANT ONE?

LOL, I think I will keep Dave away from the computer tonight, so he can't see the new Yofi-pictures. Yeah, that might help...maybe.

:happyrabbit:I am so glad your back and posted so Yofi's blog is on the first page as I am sure he feels it should always be. Di, as it has been said many times, you have a talent for writing. You told the bat story so well, I could picture the room, Stephen under the blankets and you bravely taking on the batand acheiving victory.

Great pictures of Yofi and Anna. I like how Anna's ear are horizontal.

It didn't look like Stephen had a choice in sharing his orange. I am sure Yofi insisted that he share.

Well, I'm slow, but I will eventually post some more pictures here (it's kind of late for me to do so now...bedtime comes early to all those who cater to bunnies, bats, and all things in-between. I actually dropped by for a moment for two reasons: to say :hug: to everyone here, and to see if Dave had succumbed to English lop fever, and he DID! :highfive: What a sweet addition to your family, Karen and Dave! But I must warn you...E-lops are like potato chips; once you have one you keep going back for more. (I'd have more than one myself - even though my house is cramped from foundation to flagstaff with stuff - but the breed is rarer than hen's teeth here. I suspect that the English lop ancestors who migrated from the lower 49 to the bitter wilds of Canada spent one winter here, whereby their ear flaps froze harder than a cluster of frozen bananas on popsicle sticks, and they decided that was more than enough for them...and they caught the next tour bus back to the land of sunshine and Shamwows.)

The bats at my dad's house weren't nearly so bad as I had pictured them to be before I arrived. However, having one swoop and taunt you in the wee morning hours just isn't all that cool, especially before one has had their coffee fix. And I forgot to mention in that story just why Stephen had cussed at me when I had attempted to have him protect me...apparently that same bat had kept him up all night, swishing and divebombing and trying to impress my son with all sorts of mammalian aerial stunts. Try as the bat might, however, Stephen wasn't impressed. And so he was even less impressed with me when I jolted him awake with my calm "BAT!! BAT!!!" alert. (Poor kid...after getting assaulted by a freakishly scary squirrel in TO, he goes to Nova Scotia and gets picked on by a bat.)

Oh yeah, and Fritz, my cat who was schnoozing on his back...it's a good thing he's cute, that's all I can say. When Stephen and I arrived home after visiting my dad - Stephen had decided to visit Ottawa for a few days before heading back to Toronto - I warned him that my house might not smell fresh as a daisy (no reference to the new cutie Daisy ;)) as my sister and her daughter were taking care of the bunnies...and they weren't keen on cleaning the rabbits' litter boxes to any great extent. However, the aroma that greeted us when we walked into my house was waaay beyond bad...Fritz, the rotter, had apparently become distressed because I had gone away, and he had liberally sprayed every inch of every corner of every room with his 'I hate that you left me' scent. The entire house reeked of cat urine. Even the bookcase in the livingroom (lower shelf only...Fritz hasn't perfected his projectile pee stream yet) was bombed...all of the books on that shelf now sport the not-so-fragrant Pepé-le-Fritz eau de cat. *sigh* It's always such fun to go away.:foreheadsmack:

Anyway, that photo of Fritz lying on his back is kind of funny, as it's his *special* place...see the pot beside him with the weedy-looking plants in it? I had planted some herbs in that container, and then as an afterthought I also planted some catnip. Yeah...that's right...he was totally out of it, high on his 'nip.

And one more note...the photos of Stephen with Yofi on his lap are kind of impressive as well. For whatever reason, Stephen and small animals just don't mix. (Just lookit the bats and squirrels.) Even when he was little...I remember taking him out to help me feed my bunnies way back when Stephen was around 4, and while I was filling food dishes Stephen decided to give the rabbits some carrots. Next thing I know he's standing there sobbing, blood running down his hand and saying between his tears, "He didn't mean to do it...it wasn't his fault". Apparently when he was giving one of the rabbits a carrot, there was a miscalculation between what was carrot and what was finger, and Stephen got nipped. When I had one other little rabbit here many years ago - a small grey (and very gentle) Neth. Dwarf mix - that rabbit really did not like Stephen, even though he tried to make friends with the bunny. Rufus would sit calmly in my lap every time I held him, yet as soon as Stephen tried, he'd get a warning kick or an actual bite. And I swear, Rufus would seek out Stephen's shoes - amongst all the footwear near the front door - and would urinate on his sneakers alone. I actually caught him doing it once; he spotted Stephen's shoes sitting next to mine, backed up, lifted his tail and peed right on top of them, and then hopped away. That's the only time he ever would urinate outside of the litter box too. Then there was Raph, who - when he still could hop about on his own - would lurk beneath the shrubbery, lying in wait for unsuspecting bare ankles to amble past. A sudden rush of tooth-gnashing rabbit would charge from the brambles, intent on making ankle piercing a fashion statement, but thankfully his klutziness, combined with those longe ears, would thwart his mission. (And to his credit, Raph was an equal-opportunity lunger...I too was the target of many of his assaults, not just my son.) So when Stephen first met Yofi he was apprehensive toward him, but Yofi soon won him over...and before Stephen left to go back home he wound up having one rather curious English lop following him all around the kitchen, or attempting to climb up his leg whenever he was holding food. So for all of the nipping, kicking, leaping, swooping, urinating, or general harrassing rodents that have crossed my son's path, Yofi is the first to actually make him smile and realize that bunnies - and possibly even bats - can be friends with him. :biggrin2:

Will have some more bunny photos sometime soon, after I download - and then resize and upload - from my camera. ;)

Poor Stephen! I'd be a little paranoid too, if all those critters kept picking on me.

At our house, I am usually the one getting gnashed by rabbits...mostly because I get to be the one doing "FUN" little procedures, like clipping nails/giving medicines/treating boo boos/taking care of buns that are TICKED because they were left at the fairgrounds, instead of their own personal cages at home, for a week...etc. I'm usually the closest target, I guess. Dave gets to hold, and I have to poke and prod. Not thathe hasn't been bitten...he has. Painfully. But not as many times as me. :nope:

At our house, I am usually the one getting gnashed by rabbits...mostly because I get to be the one doing "FUN" little procedures, like clipping nails/giving medicines/treating boo boos/taking care of buns that are TICKED because they were left at the fairgrounds, instead of their own personal cages at home, for a week...etc. I'm usually the closest target, I guess. Dave gets to hold, and I have to poke and prod. Not that he hasn't been bitten...he has. Painfully. But not as many times as me. :nope:

Ouch! And bunnies can deliver nasty punishment too. AND they can hold grudges. Well, for a while anyway (until the next carrot is offered up as consolement). Don't you feel just awful when that happens? I mean, you want to explain to them it's all in their best interest, but it's hard to talk bunnyspeake to one very angry lagomorph.

Wish I had time to relate though, about my other animals...the ones who really held grudges against me for all of the things I did to them. (Kaya, for example, who was very upset when I took her to be spayed a month after I adopted her. For three days I could not go near her at all, or I'd be met with teeth bared and a very threatening growl. At first I thought she was having a bad reaction to the anesthetic, so I called the vet in a panic...but it turned out she was simply blaming me for the bad experience. Stephen could go up and hug and kiss her and she'd wag her tail, but me...she would have attacked me if I was to get too close. Three days later - after I respected her wishes and stayed away - she forgave me and greeted me with wagging tail and licks.)

Oops, off to bed; I didn't mean to stay up this late...:shock:

Bassetluv wrote:
Wish I had time to relate though, about my other animals...the ones who really held grudges against me for all of the things I did to them.
Grudges, oh yes! My Dutchess, the Dutchbun, is famous for that. If I haven't spent much time with her for a few days, she lets me know. She turns her back on me! Won't even take a treat. (She'll take it from Dave.)

If I try to pet her, she jumps into her little tent and hides from me. I'm sure she's in there sticking her tongue out at me! :brat: If I remove her from the tent, or I should say TRY to remove her, she digs in her claws like a cat. When I finally get her out, she looks at me out of the corner of her eye...I'm in too much trouble to get real eye contact! :grumpy: Then when I try to talk to her, her eyes get really big, like she's terrified :shock: (what a drama queen.)

Finally, we make our way to the couch for a long snuggle under my chin. She holds out for about the first 5 minutes of our cuddle time...then she starts to make happy noises when I give her scritchy scratchies on her back. After about 15 minutes, she's finally grooming ME...wet bunny kisses all over my neck and shoulder. :inlove: That's when I know I've been forgiven.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Oh my gosh, Di!!!! :)

I love your bat story!! Insanely funny!
I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting for a book by you! lol.

Emily
We all keep telling her :ponder:maybe someday. Maybe Yofi will tell her he would like her to write a book. I mean who refuses a Yofi request!;)

Now that I think about it, when I was at the rabbit show, I had this strange feeling come over me. It kept telling me "Yuz needz to git a e-lop bunny", Yofi must have been using his bunny mind control on me.;)

Thanks Emily :)...I keep saying 'someday' too, and I shouldn't be. I should just decide to sit down and write, and do so. (I wonder if it's too late to make a New Year's resolution? :biggrin2:)

Oh great...now Yofi's got psychic abilities? He zapped you from afar Dave! But I have to admit, if Daisy was a result of Yofi mind control, then at least he's got great taste. ;)

Oh, and Anna's ears are like that most of the time now. I think she's being a copybun, living with Mr Big Ears and all. Either that or Yofi has been using her as a pillow for so long now that her ears are permanently pressed into the 'down' position.

Grudges, oh yes! My Dutchess, the Dutchbun, is famous for that. If I haven't spent much time with her for a few days, she lets me know. She turns her back on me! Won't even take a treat. (She'll take it from Dave.)

If I try to pet her, she jumps into her little tent and hides from me. I'm sure she's in there sticking her tongue out at me! :brat: If I remove her from the tent, or I should say TRY to remove her, she digs in her claws like a cat. When I finally get her out, she looks at me out of the corner of her eye...I'm in too much trouble to get real eye contact! :grumpy: Then when I try to talk to her, her eyes get really big, like she's terrified :shock: (what a drama queen.)

Finally, we make our way to the couch for a long snuggle under my chin. She holds out for about the first 5 minutes of our cuddle time...then she starts to make happy noises when I give her scritchy scratchies on her back. After about 15 minutes, she's finally grooming ME...wet bunny kisses all over my neck and shoulder. :inlove: That's when I know I've been forgiven.

hahaha...I love it! And whoever was it who thought that we lowly humans were the *owners*? Methinks they have it backwards. ;)

Latest posts

Back