Introducing Yofi :o)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few more pics

This is a rather blurry one of Anna, but I laughed when I saw it
SEP232009122640x480.jpg

Here's what I spotted one morning not long after getting up
SEP232009006640x480.jpg

SEP232009011640x480.jpg

The Boy does like pilfered popcorn. :foreheadsmack:Thankfully the bag was just about empty when he found it (which explains the baghead bunny pose...I guess he was trying to scrounge up morsels at the very bottom, and his fat head got wedged in there).

And these two shots of The Dog are

(a) "I WANT KORN!!!!" (I was eating dinner and had a corn on the cob on my plate)

SEP232009081640x480.jpg

and (b) THE LOOK: "Get away from me, ya filthy little beastie!" (Yofi had wandered into the room and was sitting next to her)

SEP232009090640x480.jpg

Finally...sownd asleepz on his kushion (yep, he often sleeps with his eyes partly open...but still sleeps as sound as a log)

SEP232009016640x480.jpg

Many are worried about you! I know I have heard from you, thank goodness!

Update us when you can, girl!;)
aaww...thank you! :hug:

Yofi cracks me up! Was that with extra butter? Poor Kaya so terrified of the Yofster.
Yes, Kaya really IS that scared of him. If I head for the bathroom Kaya is no more than a few inches behind me, so fearful is she that I will leave her to her own defenses with *HIM*. Even in the morning when I'm brushing my teeth before going to work, Kaya comes in and literally plops herself behind me, hiding from the evil bunnylord. :foreheadsmack:And the popcorn, yup, it was extra-buttered! ;) Oh, and the popcorn sorta led to a rather harrowing evening last week (see below).

As for updates, well...Yofi gave me a pretty danged good scare last weekend. It was Friday evening and when I'd come home from work I was sick, so after letting the dog out and just poking my head into the rabbit room (and seeing two sleeping bunnies) I decided to lie down. Around 10:00 or so I was feeling better, so got up and went to let the rabbits out of the room. Oddly, I remember thinking as soon as I got up that something *wasn't right*...and sure enough...

I opened the door to the rabbits' room and Anna, as usual, came flying over to greet me (she may not be a very active bunny, but she definitely is attached to me in her own way). Yofi, on the other hand, just sat there on the cushion next to the cage, a big cream-n-white-colored muffinlump. So I called to him, but he didn't move. Didn't even look at me. Now that was unusual for him. Normally Anna is the first one at the door, but Yofi always follows suit moments later, each of them scurrying about with their unworded pleas: 'Hiya mom, where were ya? What'd ya bring me?' 'When's dinner?' 'Why does Yofi smell weird?' (oops, last one was just Anna) Anyway, this particular evening none of that was heard from the Yofster, not even one 'Hihowyadoin'. He just sat.

So I walked over to him, hoping he'd get up and start bugging me, but knowing deep down that something was upsetting him. When I reached him I greeted him with a pat on the head and a 'Yofi! How are you?' but still...no reaction. So then I picked him up. Again he didn't react...he just lay in my arms. DEFINITELY not a good sign. At that point I took him into the living room and put him on the sofa, then got some of his favorite foods...banana, apple, even the mother of all temptations, a craisin....and...nothing. He sniffed each of them and just sighed, and lowered his head. I noticed too, that his stomach felt odd...his ribs were jutted out more than usual, a sign that he was tensing his gut muscles...which with him is a definite sign of pain. And that's when I began to get very worried. I kept thinking, impaction, blockage; the things no bunny mom or dad wants to dare even ponder. So I decided to calm myself down and take things one step at a time. I opted to give Yofi some simethicone and see if that helped, as gas could also have been a cause.

And that's when I cursed myself for being such a bad housekeeper. At some point in time I moved the box that has all of my bunny meds in it, and do you think I could find it? No...I searched high and low but it eluded me completely. I had to sit down and think for a moment; what to do next? I decided to run two blocks to the local pharmacy and pick up a new bottle of Ovol, the other one was probably getting old anyway. It was a cold, dark rainy night, so I put on my coat, grabbed an umbrella, tucked Yofi up in a blanket and promised to be right back.

An hour - and five pharmacies later - I came home empty-handed. Not one of the drug stores was open. Oh sure, Ottawa has 24-hour pharmacies, but they must all be crammed into one strip mall at the far far reaching edges of the city's armpit, because they sure as heck aren't near my place. Yofi was still where I'd left him earlier so I picked him up and began giving him a deep, gentle tummy massage. And I swear he looked like he was enjoying it, despite the discomfort he was in. His gut still felt immobile, and thoughts raced through my head...how do I get him to the one vet clinic (again, at the other end of the city) at this time of night?

Then I remembered something; in the far depths of my bathroom cabinet I used to have some Gas-X pills for adults; if they were still there I could give one of those a try. So again I went searching, rummaging past lotions and potions and freebees and who-knows-what else I never ever use any more, and at last hit the jackpot. Eureka! Gas-X...little red liquid gel pills. Quickly I took one, poured some warm water and mixed some drops of the gel into it, and eye-droppered it into the Yofster's mouth. Then I began more tummy massages, along with a grooming to get rid of his excess loose fur. (The Boy is the worst moulter I've ever seen in an animal..ever!) Add to all of this was a great many prayers, and that is what seemed to do the trick for...lo and behold...an hour later he was not only hopping about again, but was climbing all over me, demanding that his dinner be fed to him THIS MOMENT. It was the quickest recovery I've seen, and I must say the relief was huge. The entire time this was going on I kept trying to think of what Yofi could have eaten, in the off chance it was an impaction. He tends to get into absolutely everything, so the list can be long. But all I could think of was the bag of popcorn he'd raided earlier - though I thought it was pretty much empty when he found it - and he also had eaten a bit of corn from corn-on-the-cob. Again not much at all, but still...both are foods that aren't the best for bunnies. Combine that with his explosive shedding and that could be a recipe for intestinal disaster. So now I am attempting to monitor his external suction hose (aka, mouth) more closely. And keep his 'hareline' as shed-free as possible. Maybe shaving him would do the trick. I've seen those skinny hairless cats, and 'skinnypigs'; they're not so bad-looking. A hairless e-lop would be kinda cool. Come to think of it, the 'skinnypig' moniker would be rather appropriate for The Boy anyway. Think he'd go for the bald n beautiful look? But more importantly...would I hafta wax his ears to match?

On one other (continuing weird year saga) note, guess what I got in the mail two days ago? A lovely little invite from the Ministry of the Attorney General's office, asking me if I would like to pleasure them with my company on November 2nd. Well, 'asking' is not quite how it went; it was actually a 'summons to the juror' notification, telling me that I have to report to the Ottawa lawcourts on that day, as I am being herded in with a whole other bunch of poor souls to be considered for jury duty. The bugger of it is, you don't know anything until they decide who they're going to pick; and then once they do, it may be held in Ottawa, or it may be held in Toronto; and it may be a short trial, or it could drag on for months - and thus the jurors could be sequestered for the duration. They do not pay jurors unless the trial goes beyond 11 days, and when that happens they will pay $40/day...not a heck of a lot if one's employer decides they can't afford to continue paying you while you're on jury duty. (Fortunately my employer does pay...if they didn't, and I wound up in a long court case, I'd be in trouble.) And of course, if you don't want to do jury duty, well....ya don't really have a choice, unless ya want to be on the receiving end of the law. :X Of course for someone like me, who has (mild) social anxiety, this has been rather stressing - on top of everything else so far.

Well, as Bill Cosby always used to say, 'Never challenge 'worse'... :pullhair:

I am happy the Yofster is alright.:) Man you know he is sick if he doesn't get into something!

When they start doing jury selection and they ask you a few questions, just start arguing with your self of the answer. It might get you out of it or committed to a hospital for observation, either way you wouldn't have to do it!;)

Poor Yofi tummyache! :tears2: It's just not rightwhen he's toosick to get into mischief.:devil

No more popcorn raids, Yof!:popcorn2

Glad he is all better. Tell him Daisy Mae sends her love. :inlove: (oh, and me too!)

Poor Yofster! Glad to hear he is back to 'normal'. Isn't it typical that nothing is on hand wen you need it. Good thinking with the other meds though.

I would really hate to do jury duty. If ever they asked me, I think I would say "Well, if they're nice, they're innocent, if they're not, then guilty". That might get me out of it :p

Jan

Yofi and Anna are both doing well, although their noses were a bit out of joint last night when they had to undergo mandatory toenail-trimming. Grunts, feets lashing out, feigned rage and pseudo-nips all were ignored by me as I went about the task of bunnicuring the duo. And actually, for once Anna was really really good...usually her hind feet lash out so forcefully, and with such speed that they are but a blur and whoosh of air; but this time she just sat and let me do it. Oh, she whimpered her little bunny whines as I held her, but that was all. In fact it went so well that I immediately became suspicious, thinking she had a Plan B hidden somewhere up her sleeve. But no...she was a good girl. And Yofi never does give me much trouble when I trim his hoofies; he fakes a half-hearted kick and will grunt once or twice, and then he just lies there for the rest of the routine. I guess he still reserves his special talents to that of tearing apart the house, or doing something to cause me to jump out of my skin.

And I must admit, he got me pretty good last night. I had been watching 'Dexter' on tv, and while it is really more of a psychological scary show than anything, that particular episode had me a bit jumpy after I'd watched it. I was doing a wash down the basement at the same time, so after the show ended I went down there to get the clothing out of the dryer. Coming upstairs from the basement - which, eerily enough, reminds me of the basement of that old house in the woods in 'The Blair Witch Project' (I still check for witches hiding in the corners) - I was a bit nervous. Living alone tends to exacerbate any unwarranted fears, and I did find myself scurrying up the steps faster than I normally would...arms filled with recently-dried and folded pants and shirts. Just as I reached the top of the stairs (my 'safety-zone' area in my weird mind) I thought I heard something. I stopped for a moment, two steps from the top, and listened...but all was silent. So I stepped forth again. And just as I reached the top step, it happened. There was a loud scritching-horribilis noise that came from behind, and then the door slammed itself shut in my face. Someone was IN THE HOUSE! Someone was trying to TRAP ME IN THE BASEMENT!! It was THE BLAIR WITCH, I just knew it! I could hear her long fingernails scraping on the wood of the door, could almost hear her cackling laugh, and my heart was thumping wildly in my chest. Of course sanity told me that it really wasn't the Blair Witch...but...but...my God, who was in my house???

The answer, of course, was Yofi. He had been hiding behind the open door, and through a most-likely planned timing, he stood up, clawed at the back of the door and gave it a huge rabbitine SHOVE...whereupon it slammed into my face just as I reached the doorway with my wash in tow. As soon as I reached the handle and opened the door I saw the perpetrator - or the tell-tail sign of him - white flag raised high over his rump as all four feet scrambled on slippery tile to 'getoutgetoutGETOUT'! before he was spotted. I do sometimes think he has it in for me; 'skeer the Mom to deeth and all uv this will be aourz, ANNA!'. Either that or he has some sort of bunnycam hidden away in secretive corners, videotaping every scream and leap of fright that I make. He's probably compiling them as I type this, waiting for his chance to upload them onto Youtube.

As for the ongoing things that my life has been attracting lately...well, I think I've reached a point where laughing is all I can do. To keep it short, let's see...first, I entered an 'expression of interest' at work to act as an assistant for one of the other women. No raise in pay, it would be for about 3-4 months, but would give me the opportunity to get experience in other areas of our workplace. However, at the same time that this was going on, I was slated to go to court for jury selection. Last Monday (a week ago) was the date I had to go for selection. At the same time, they held the competition for the assisting position, and apparently I was the only one who passed the test. (LOL...makes me sound good, but actually only two of us wrote it in the end). The girl I would be helping (Sue) had really wanted me to get it anyway, but with the jury selection taking place, I had to tell her that I wouldn't know for sure if I could do it until after going to court. So they delayed the training for a bit, waiting for me.

Jury selection process: If you ask me, it's weird. And for someone like me, it's also very scary. I have a mild social phobia; I can do well in a small group of people, taking part in group discussions and such, but cannot lead a discussion - panic overtakes me at that point. If I have to stand up in front of a bunch of people and talk, even if only for a minute or two, it triggers a panic attack in me. Well, during jury selection you sit with around 100 people in a courtroom, and one by one they draw names from a drum. If your name is called, you have to go to the front of the court and tell the judge if you cannot serve for jury duty. If it's a medical reason, you have to disclose it...not just to the judge, but to every single soul looking at you from the panel as well. I'd say that out the 100 people there that day, only a handful weren't called up. And of the ones that were, probably only 3-4 in total did not have a reason why they couldn't serve jury duty. I sat there the entire time - from around 9:45am until 2:00pm - in an extremely anxious state...heart pounding, headache, wanting to run out of there. Finally, at the end of the day when they stated that they had all their jurors, I breathed a sigh of relief and went to get up. And that's when the judge said, 'Oh, anyone still left in the panel of jury selection...you guys all get to come back and do this again next week'. AAARRRGGGHHH! So not only was I going to have to relive the panic, but I would have to leave Sue hanging once again about the assisting position...something I really wanted to do, as it would definitely be a plus for me, considering our jobs are all being cut next year.

So today was my return to court. And this time, about halfway through the day, my name did get called. The process this time was a bit different; rather than having speak in front of the entire courtroom full of people, it was only a select few there. This is because they were choosing people for a murder trial...and we were told that the trial was expected to last at least 5-6 weeks minimum...and once jurors went into deliberation for that trial, they were to be sequestered, meaning they were not allowed to go home at all. I was also told that sequestering could run anywhere from 6 hours to several weeks. All I could think of was my bunnies, my cat, my dog...who would take care of them? And would this possibly run through the Christmas holiday?

In the end I was fortunate. I told the judge that my hearing is not good...he had asked that anyone with problems that might interfere state them....but I didn't exaggerate the problem (as some suggested I do, to get out of jury duty). I simply said that I don't always hear everything clearly. When everyone was speaking with microphones in the courtroom, I could hear them pretty well. But when the potential jurors were speaking, I couldn't hear them at all; nor could I hear one of the lawyers at a jury selection last week. The judge, however, deemed my hearing as 'good enough' and I got sworn in for the murder trial. But as soon as I did, one of the lawyers said, 'Challenge', which meant they didn't want me there....so because of that, I got to leave.

In the meantime though - let's segue back to my oil tank fiasco. Remember that? Tank was leaking (though not a lot) back in April. So I called my insurance company, who called an inspector, who called a company to come in and make arrangements for cleanup....anyway, all of that had been taken care of and filed away a few months ago.

Or so I thought.

Last Wednesday I got home from work and found a letter addressed to me from the TSSA (Technical Safety Standards Association, or something like that), informing me that I had *failed to comply to their request to send them a copy of the Environmental Assessment Report*. If I did not send a copy to them IMMEDIATELY, they were going to fine me in excess of $50,000.00 and I would serve jail time. Thing is, I had NO IDEA what they were even talking about! I didn't even know what an environmental assessment report looked like, or who was supposed to send it to me. So for a few days I was in total panic over this, calling people and asking them what I was supposed to do. I finally did get this sorted out (turns out Environmental Solutions, one of the companies hired to do work, forgot to send it in), but the stress and worry it caused me, on top of everything else, was just too much. And then my sister, after hearing about all of it, said, 'Hey, maybe this is a good thing...when you go for jury selection on Monday you can tell them you can't serve on a jury because you're going to be arrested and thrown in jail soon yourself'. LOL!! And so ever since, I've been kinda laughing over all these weird goings-on.

And Yofi and the gang, I'm sure, think I've walked off the short end of a pier...:biggrin2:

LOL...I don't think The Boy would care one whit about my will unless it specified 'copious amounts of karrots and parslee' to be meted out to himself and Anna. Oh, and served on a silver platter, of course. ;)

Forgot to mention....whenever I get stressed, I tend to do weird things to de-stress. This time it was buying fish for my aquarium. Actually it was just one fish, but I thought I'd post a couple of pictures. First, I bought two clown loaches a while back. Sadly, one of them didn't make it, but the other one has been thriving in the murky depths of my tank.

Here's a rather obscure photo of him:

loach640x480.jpg

And last weekend my sister and I went out to Big Al's Aquarium House, and I fell in love with a catfish that was there, so bought him too. He's called a 'chocolate talking catfish' and apparently (after reading about them online when I got home) they are kind of hard to find in pet stores. It was really difficult to get a pic of him because he's a nocturnal feeder, and shies away as soon as you go near the tank. The picture doesn't do him justice at all, but to me he's beautiful:

chocolatcatov9-09170640x480.jpg

Both clown loaches and talking catfish are quite unique. Both species are apparently known to make 'talking' noises in the tank, that can be heard from across the room (I've yet to hear either of them though). And the loach really does live up to the clown moniker...when kept with others of the same species, they sleep upside down, all shoved together within rock piles, all stacked on top of one another. They are also known to sleep on the bottom of the tank on their sides, leading many fish owners to erroneously think the poor things died. Wish I had a bigger tank so I could get more of each of these species; they really are weird little fishies and are quite fascinating to watch.

And this is what I am sometimes greeted with when I come home...Yofi, sitting on top of the food container, peeking out the door at me:

peeking640x480.jpg

Bassetluv wrote:
And this is what I am sometimes greeted with when I come home...Yofi, sitting on top of the food container, peeking out the door at me:

peeking640x480.jpg
I love that Yofi nose!

Glad "everything" (ha ha, sarcasm) is okay with you. Sometimes all you can do is buckle up and sit through the ride!

Bassetluv wrote:
The answer, of course, was Yofi. He had been hiding behind the open door, and through a most-likely planned timing, he stood up, clawed at the back of the door and gave it a huge rabbitine SHOVE...whereupon it slammed into my face just as I reached the doorway with my wash in tow.
Yofi: 1 Mom: 0 :biggrin2:

That "talking chocolate catfish" is called a "striped raphael catfish" around here. They make a talking noise when they rotate their pectoral fins and the vibrations carry through their swim bladder, I believe. They tend to "talk" more at night, when they are with others of their kind. (Sorry, I worked at a pet store for two years!) Their talking sounds like a weird growling noise (kind of like a stomach growl). I love them, but I never had the chance to get one! Neat find! :D

Also love the Yofi pic! :D

kherrmann3 wrote:
That "talking chocolate catfish" is called a "striped raphael catfish" around here. They make a talking noise when they rotate their pectoral fins and the vibrations carry through their swim bladder, I believe. They tend to "talk" more at night, when they are with others of their kind. (Sorry, I worked at a pet store for two years!) Their talking sounds like a weird growling noise (kind of like a stomach growl). I love them, but I never had the chance to get one! Neat find! :D

Also love the Yofi pic! :D
A bit late in replying :)baghead), but yes, isn't he a beauty? I only see him come out in the early morning, or late at night after I've fed them. He does love to 'hang' behind the tank heater sometimes, though. Cats are some of my favorite fish (bit of an oxymoron there); I just love the way they swim. And this guy's coloration is just so striking. Wish I had more room in my house though; the tank is currently residing in my kitchen, the only place I could squeeze it in.

Latest posts

Back