I'm Done With Rocko

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish you could to lindy! your a great person.
Im not calling rocko's owner a bad person.. i just wish he/she would do a little bit more :(

good luck either way rocko, i wish the best of the outcome

I don't think she meant she's talking Rocko to a shelter.
I believe she is saying she will look for a friend for Bun Bun at shelters instead of breeding.

Bonding takes a long time and lots of patience. When I added Akira to Rusty's home there was a lot of fighting. And I mean A LOT. Both of them were fixed. You need to make sure they are supervised. It has been about 2 years now since Rusty and Akira have first met and they live together now but I still check up on them to make sure there are no new injuries or anything. You need to be aware of territory and discipline when there is fighting (discipline meaning firm NOs or stomping the floor or spray bottle or something. No hitting of course).
Also two intact males together is a really bad idea.

There are ways to find a new home for a bunny. Try looking in classified ads for people looking for rabbits. Maybe getting him a home where he would be the only rabbit would be a good idea, or to someone who knows a lot about rabbits and would get him neutered. I'm sure lots of people would be willing to take in your rabbit if you are unable to keep him.

Best of luck to you and Rocko

Male rabbits can start developing hormones from 12 weeks, at 4 months he's certainly within the time frame for getting territorial.

Youngsters won't have any respect for an older or existing bun. Knocking the current leader from his position is the natural evolution of a social group. Illness, old age or just not fighting back will all encourage the youngster rabbit to make a challenge. From Rocko's point of view, he's won and your other bun should go away, staying is seen as a challenge so Rocko beats him up again because he thinks he hasn't got the message.

That's why it's not recommended to introduce unneutered males. At this point, even neutering wouldn't guarantee they'd get on, rabbit's often remember old adversaries.

I was talking about getting Bun Bun a friend from a shelter. I NEVER said anything about sheltering Rocko!!!!
I was considering on breeding - but I've changed my mind. I'd rather look for a friend at a shelter than go back to the breeder, cause there's lots of homeless buns(not to mention alot closer to my home).

In my first post of the topic, I mentioned that my cousin might take him in.

I'm glad that you are willing take in Rocko, Lindy, but I don't like giving my address and other very personal info out over the internet.

I have to agree with Nela when she says it's not Rocko's fault. I hope you have someone who likes bunnies and will take good care of Rocko. He felt threatened and that's why he showed his aggressive side. It happens to us, humans too, doesn't it? So I hope you find him a place where he can show his good side! Maybe you can send Lindy info on a private message. I trust Rabbits Online, their advice made my bunny live 1 more year, he was dying, no vets in my country could take decent care of him, it was everyone who gave me advice here who saved my bun!
Also, this is a very secure website because I donated more than once and they got all my info (including cc) and no info was ever insecure or used wrongly!
So if you want Lindy to take Rocko, don't worry about giving her your info - she wants to help!

I'm glad you are reconsidering things and not jumping to breeding him. I know you love your Bun Bun and want to keep him with you forever indirectly by keeping an offspring but usually most people get quite disappointed because they often subconciously (or consciously)hope the baby would be like the original bun. :)

The advantage with adopting from a shelter is that most oftentimes, they offer bunny dating and will help you with the bonding as well. They might have a ton of helpful tips and might make it easier for you by actually being there with you and explaining it to you properly. Hopefully, if you adopt, the bunny will already have been spayed/neutered. You'll still need to be cautious though because even if they like each other there, it may be a whole different story once home. There aren't any guarantees so you have to know that things can go wrong. However, I'm not sure how it works withthe shelters there but some might allow you to foster the bun while you see if it goes to your liking or not. :)

I do hope that you'll reconsider giving up Rocko but if you are decided to let him go, I am sure you will do the best for him and find him a good home. :)

If I were you I would take the money you would spend on a adoption fee for a new bun and I would get both Bun Bun and Rocko fixed. There are plenty of low cost clinics out there if you look. You need to deal with the responsibility of the two rabbits you have before adding anymore. Second off before you get another rabbit you should do your homework and research everything you can about bonding and behavior. You put two intact males together and thought it would be OK so its time to study. My rabbit does not like other rabbits and is very happy as a single bun and she is a fixed doe. I would love to add another but I would never stress her like that. I don't think its fair your thinking about dropping one bunny only to pick up another. On a last note if Bun bun has cancer then you need to focus on his needs. He needs vet attention and a neuter more then he needs a "friend"

I was thinking something similar to fraggles. Don't use up the little money you have on adopting another bun, get bun bun fixed since he could have cancer. I'm not trying to be rude but I think him staying alive is more important then him having a friend, you know?

Maybe if you sold Rocko on craigslist with his cage and everything, you could get some extra cash and have him fixed right away.

SablePoint: I think that you are using your disability as an excuse not to get Mr. BunBun fixed. I have a limited income and I made it work. When I had the money to get my bunnies fixed I did it. I also have a disability but my bunnies get what they need every day, some days are harder than others but I make it work.

I would get Mr BunBun fixed first, then look for a friend after he is all healed up from his neuter. Finding a friend for your bunny can and is tricky. But when you do go to a shelter and get an altered bunny, preferably female. You will have better luck with a female, than with another male.

I hope Rocko does find a very nice home and is happier in his new home.

I don't use my disabilities as an excuse. I find that comment very offensive as it's a pain in the arse to live with. I have tried and tried to get a job, I've tried Disability several times throughout the years, and recently tried for SSI last year and did not get my money. I was just explaining the reason why I didn't have money to get Bun Bun neutered right now.

A new rabbit is only $20-$30. Neutering at my vet is like $200. I just spent a nearly $100 bill on Bun Bun for Metacam and Baytril for Bun Bun's weird sniffling and sluggish behavior(which I found out that was arthritis) and that's when the vet said that Bun Bun possibility of testicular cancer when he looked at his balls. $100 isn't something I get every day.

If I had a job or any type of income - neutering Bun Bun would be the first thing to do. When I did this disability working thing for a few months with pay 2 years ago - I saved all that money for a larger tank for my turtles(nearly $500 for the whole setup) who needed a bigger tank big time.I love my pets and I try to do the best for them.

I just wanted to make Bun Bun happy. I didn't do this like some child who's like "mommy, I want another bunny." I also do not treat Rocko bad at all. He is treated like the rest of the family. Although I'm crushed that he turned out to be a bad apple for Bun Bun - I still love him, he's sweet around people, and if I lived on my own with my own income - I would probably still keep him. But I'm only allowed to keep 2 bunnies. It's my parents' house - they make the rules.

One thing to keep in mind with regards to adopting from s shelter is that many don't adopt to people who have intact pets unless there is a very good reason such as medical issues or the age of the pet. This would be an issue as you are looking to possibly get Bun Bun a friend. Pairs where 1 rabbit is intact are tricky and don't always work out. Also, some shelters don't spay/neuter until the animal is adopted (I know my local SPCA does this), it would be risky to try dates with females due to the risk of pregnancy if you don't decide to get that one.

I would hold off on getting another rabbit right now. Your focus should be Bun Bun and making sure he stays healthy. A new rabbit can be a drain on finances especially if they get sick and there are the feeding costs as well. It might be better to just start saving your money to get him neutered and once that is done start looking for a friend or another rabbit.

As pet owners, we do need to put the needs of out current pets ahead of any future ones. Take care of what you have and don't get more unless you have the time and finances to care for it and provide vet care.

I do know how bad money issues can be. I got Amelia with the intention to get her spayed over the summer (I got her at the end of June last year). I didn't end up getting a summer job. I never really had the money to spare until Christmas came and I used that money for it. The whole surgery with the exam and medications was close to $400. When you don't have a steady job and making $200 a month is a good month, getting the money for a spay or neuter can be hard. My rabbits come first for the most part. They get good food, hay and veggies before I get new stuff. If I need something new like clothing, then I go to Zellers or Walmart rather than other stores as that is what I can afford. I look for sales and set limits on what I spend. It may mean that I don't get everything I want, but at least I know my pets get what they need.

Thanks. I think I will hold off on getting him a friend till I can do something for neutering.

My parents make sure to buy the common needs for my pets(like food, litter, and treats).

There are some adorable cute stuffed realistic bunnies(I almost want one for myself!) at CVS. They are the same size of Bun Bun too. Stiff and soft and in the "position" a bunny would love to hump. But like $10! What a rip!
But I bet Bun Bun would like one of those. It's an Easter special - might as well grab one before it's too late.

OK risks to neutering. Bunbun is older so there is a risk that he won't come out of the sedative afterwards. However this is a small risk to take in your situation. Cancer of any kind is a death sentence the cancer can and WILL spread and might have already done so. Rabbits are champs at hiding illness so he could feel sick or be in pain and you don't even know it. Friend or no friend he will die most likely in a few months. This may sound harsh or cruel but its the truth and its something you need to face. My baby a 12 year old standard poodle died of cancer and I was crushed. She had no symptoms until the day before she past. The vet said the liver cancer had been there for perhaps a year and had spread everywere. I couldn't believe it because she had been perfect up until then.

Before you have the rabbit neutered I would have the vet check him again to CONFIRM he has cancer and also ask if this kind of cancer spreads. Not all cancer does. If it does spread and has, then there is no point in having him neutered. The damage is already done and you would just be wasting your money. If these types of tumors stay contained within the testicle then go ahead and have it done when you are able.

I understand about not having enough money. If you don't have an income you don't have an income. You have to work with what you have.

If I were in your position I would keep the boys separated and find Roco a good home. Bun Bun is old so I would just spend my time spoiling him till he passes. Then maybe find a rescue where the buns are already fixed and get yourself a nice male and female pair. It will be cheaper that way and you won't have to deal with all the hormone issues which is a pain.

Back