I'm Done With Rocko

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just talked with my vet on this subject. He says that testicular cancer is aggressive and fast growing doubling in size every 30 days or so. From there it spreads to lymph nodes and lungs. It can also get in the bones. So yes it is a fast spreading disease.

Then if that is the case I don't see the point in getting him neutered, unless it just started then it needs to be done immediately. Hasn't he already had an enlarged testicle for at least a few months though? Or am I mistaken?

I think the neutering is really a moot point considering she doesn't have the money to have it done and by the time she does it will already have spread. If it is indeed cancer, which I think should be confirmed.

I always heard that neutering or any type of surgery on old animals can be dangerous. He has had this tiny ball and normal looking ball for over a year I guess. I asked what could it be on this forum some time ago and the replies were that cause rabbits can descend their testicles, but I was still puzzled cause that's what it shouldn't look like.

My mom said it could be that his other testicle fell into the other - I also saw a post asking this question on this forum.
Is that possible?

I need blood work to know for sure, but I'm not sure how much that cost. If he's positive - then he will need to be fixed but wouldn't just going on ahead and fixing right now be better? But now it could be different cause he's old. I will not resort to euthanasia cause he doesn't need it and the vet said he's not in enough danger to need it either.

To me if he has had it over a year, hasn't gotten worse, and it's true what Katie said earlier about it being very aggressive (the cancer), then it probably isn't cancer. I would just leave him be and keep him separated from other rabbits. He is an old guy and he isn't the one being aggressive.

Unless you take him for blood work you won't know for sure. The thing is, since he has had it for a year and if it is cancer then it more than likely would have spread. So neutering him now would be pointless.

Thanks! What a weight off my shoulders! I was also thinking that too. Bun Bun's behavior seems fine and ever since I got Rocko he's alot more active(believe it or not). He still has his sneezing sessions some times, I thought it was hay but I'm not sure. So far all I can think is it's an allergic reaction to something and I don't know what. Guess it's time for some benadryl.

Thanks for yalls replies.

2n6revt.jpg

FWIW - I would find a good home for Roco. That would be the fairest thing for him and you.

The next priority would be to get BunBun's neuter/cancer taken care of.

Then, if you think you can handle another rabbit, take BunBun on a bunny date and let the rabbits decide who could be a friend.

Sablepoint: I am sorry you took offense to my post about using your disability as an excuse. That was not my intention at all. Did you look into the humane society in your area, they do low cost to free neuters for people who don't have much money?

I just skimmed through these posts, I hope that things get better for you and Mr. BunBun.

I agree that maybe Bun-Bun doesn't have cancer, but again, he shall be seen by a SAVY vet. When my bunny MILU got sick, I took him to all vets who said they'd treat bunnies, but they didn't even know what he had. Then they said all possible sorts of stupid things, like he's "stressed", it's his stomach, etc. He had a dental issue - and I only found out because of great advice from everybody here of Rabbits Online. I'm very grateful because they're the ones who helped him.
Now what I'd do is:
1- taking your bun to a good vet,
2- maybe you could also post pics/exams you have available in the infirmary section here. Maybe someone can help and tell you what the issue looks like.
3- maybe you can keep Rocko in a separate area of your home... you talk like you want to give him love too, you said you treat well all your pets, and that your parents help with food... now it would be cool even for you to keep him, learn his ways (my bun in the beginning was nothing compared to my former bun, but after I found out what he liked, and he got to know me better too, he actually turned out to make me happier with him than before...!) Maybe it could work well for you, who knows? Why don't you give Rocko a chance? At least until you find someone who REALLY likes him and wants to keep him, in whom you'd trust? Maybe you can keep one of them in a room (like Bun-bun) and one in the kitchen (Rocko), I don't know.. if you got 2 floors, you can divide territory into floors.. but one thing I'll tell you: all bunnies give back what you give to them. Treat them as "inferior", or "not like the other one" and they'll feel rejected. If you give them unconditional love and you play with them enough, cuddle with them enough, there's no bunny that won't be really nice and soft and warm-hearted! Good luck!

Btw, I travel a lot and I thought of bringing another bun home to make MILU happier, I thought that, even with my family taking care of him, he'd be sad without me around... but after reading about bonding intact male bunnies, I gave up the idea. MILU was the only one for ages, I knew that bringing a new bunny would mean a dead new bunny.
Who knows if, maybe, Bun-bun wasn't the one attacking Rocko? I wouldn't doubt that my SWEET MILU would eat any bunny I brought here out of jealousy of people and territory..
So I still agree with whoever said it's better to keep the $ you'd use for getting a new bun and use it to get Bun-bun and Rocko fixed !
:)

Latest posts

Back