I'm Done With Rocko

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
Well, as others know, Rocko, my 4 month year old Dutch, HATES my other rabbit Mr. Bun Bun, an 8 year old, Holland Lop mix and Rocko will attack him for no reason.

One day they did very well together outside(in the grass not on the deck!) with no fighting! Nice weather and lots of room(we have a very large back yard) to frolic around in.

Well, today was very nice and I decided to let the buns roam around out after patching up some spots where Rocko could escaped through the fence.
They were doing very well today just like before and I went ahead and let the buns play around for the day.
I was so happy. "Maybe more of this social activity in the yard will make Rocko become more friendly!" - I thought to myself.

But once again I was WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG F*ING WRONG *&&**(((*&#&#^#^#:X WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I went to gather them, they were in the shed. As I walked in there lots of white puffs of Holland Lop fur was flying around. Oh great! Bun Bun!
I rushed to poor Bun Bun - he looked HORRIBLE. He has scars on his face some of them were bleeding and tiny balding spots on his nose and a nasty bite under his nose. But of course, the innocent little brat, Rocko, was just fine. Bun Bun is very kind around baby bunnies.

I guess I should of stopped trying to have them get along, I just wanted Bun Bun to be happy. Instead, I'm just making his life worse. Poor Bun Bun. I'm so stressed.

If I could afford neutering - Bun Bun has to get it cause according to my vet, it's possible he may have testicular cancer.
And sometimes neutering isn't 100% accurate to make your pet kind and sweet. We own a dog who is overly abnoxious and food aggressive - neutering did nothing but make him fat. He's still a pain in the arse.

Since Rocko probably will never get along with Bun Bun, I would prefer him to get a new home. My parents are angry at him too.

It really upsets me, I feel bad giving him away - then again I feel bad for poor Bun Bun. Keeping them away from each other for the rest of their life isn't fair. That's going to be too tempting for Bun Bun. The rabbit cages have to stay in my room, they're always going to be near each other. It's going to stress them out.

My cousin may want him. I'll ask her tomorrow. She's an adult btw, so she's mature enough and not to mention I'll be able to see Rocko at times!

The only ideas I have left in order to get a friend for poor Bun Bun, is either too get an adult female.I found an adorable female bunny at the city pound, she's awfully cute and around the same size of Bun Bun. Also, maybe I should breed Bun Bun and get one of his babies( something I've always wanted to do). I would imagine father-son friendship would be a non aggressive relationship.....

Any ideas for Bun Bun's future? When Koga died, Bun Bun was depressed started showing signs of psychological problems. I don't want Bun Bun to be lonely and go through this again.

Regards,

SablePoint

Bonding rabbits can definitely be tricky and whenever you add a new rabbit to your home you have to do so with the understanding that they may never bond and you may have to keep them separate for the rest of their lives. I adopted Timmy about 2 months after Fiona. Within a few months they were bonded but maybe 6 months later they had a big fight and Fiona got cut up. I separated them after that and eventually bonded them again to the point where they could play together outside of their cages, but then I went to college and my mom was too nervous to keep up with it so they spent the rest of Fiona's life apart.

Personally, I think you should save up to cover neuters for both rabbits - intact rabbits are very territorial and male-male bonds are often considered the most difficult.
If you do decide to rehome Rocko, please consider your finances before adding another bun. Yes there are buns that need homes out there but my personal philosophy is that I need to give the animals I have the best possible care and if I'm financially able after that, then I'll move onto the others that need my help. Once you get Bunbun neutered, then you can re-look at adopting another rabbit.

Don't make the mistake of thinking parents won't be aggressive to their offsring. Sure, a doe will care for her kits, but once they hit puberty even she will fight with them. A buck may well be territorial from day one. Additionally, there are many unwanted rabbits out there so unless you think that Bunbun is an exceptional genetic example of his breed, please don't breed him. I'm in support of good breeders who breed to better the breed, but I've also seen the effects of overpopulation.

I know that there's lots of unwanted buns out there - but how do I know if it's going to be nice like Koga and Brinca and not hateful like Rocko?

I am a bit confused..have you been putting two intact males together? That is for sure going to lead to a fight...no doubt.

I decided to keep Kinobe, and him and my other male Anakin hate each other. They fight through the gate, and will seriously hurt each other, and they are both fixed. So it is a forever hate. So I know your frustration.

Kinobe is also the starter of the fights, although Anakin is a tough cookie and will fight back hard.

However, neutering does help, and is needed in general. Kinobe, who was a monster, got a lot better after neutering. He went to devil to slight trouble maker (lol)

I think you seriously need to neuter your rabbits however, esp if Bun Bun has signs of testicular cancer.

Do what you think is best, but I STRONGLY advise against breeding, especially if you can't afford to nueter your rabbits now. Brining more rabbits in isn't going to help that. Not to mention it sounds like Bun Bun has some serious vet issues, costly ones, that need to be address. His cancer and his new fight wounds, which can easily become infected and create huge problems.

You can get Bun Bun a stuffed bunny to keep him company and spend more time with him.

Two intact males, no matter what relationship, are a 99% result in extreme fighting once maturity hits. Not to mention, does that mean you will get rid of the female once you have a baby? That isn't fair at all. :/

[align=center]I went through a similar situation. I was going to bond my New Zealand to Silas, but she tried to attack him, and escaped through her pen and ended up attacking Solara and Sabriel instead, and scared Sabriel so much he ended up breaking his leg.

I hated her at first for it but now that I gave her up and she's at the place I volunteer at, I socialize her and keep up with teaching her the tricks I taught her when I had her. I still love her, but she will be in a better home when she finds it, and be less stressed.

Do whatever you feel is right- but I can tell you this, breeding and adding more rabbits won't help. Plus, just because a male rabbit is Mr. Bun Bun's son, doesn't mean they won't fight. They most likely will.

I would seriously save up money to get Mr. Bun Bun fixed. If he passes away because of Testicular Cancer, you will regret not getting him fixed/checked out... at least I would.

You won't know if a new bun would hate Mr. Bun Bun. I think you need to take a step back, get Mr. Bun Bun a stuffed toy, and give him tons of love from you. That's what he needs right now, especially after the fight with Rocko...

Good luck with what you decide.

It's not Rocko's fault. Two unfamiliar rabbits, especially unaltered males together, is bad news. Then not watching them? It's not surprising there was a fight. Please understand I'm not saying this as a personal attack or to be mean. It's just not Rocko's fault for doing what is in his nature, he is only a bunny after all. :)

I'm a bit disappointed to tell you the truth. We've given you tips, told you about the risks of putting them together etc. but you still did it and now blame Rocko for what's going on. I think it is very unfair to Rocko. :(

I think it might be a good time to sit back and really re-evaluate what you want and what you are willing to do.

At 12 years old, I really don't think there is a point in breeding. Especially since you think he has testicular cancer. I also don't see a point in adding new rabbits since you don't have the finances to get these guys neutered.

Again, rabbits are extremely picky with their mates. A male and female can hate each other just as much as two males can. However, with two intact males it is especially risky. My neighbor has two bunnies, brothers, and one ended up with 20 stitches and fighting for his life. So I would advise against thinking that a father and son would be better off.

I can understand wanting your bun to be happy and if you really want him to have a companion then you could keep trying.

Again, your best bet would probably try 'bunny dating' with a local shelter so that you can get a better feel for the relationship. Nothing is ever guaranteed though so whenever I get bunnies, I always count them as single bunnies and make sure that I can house them alone if need be. I've gotten quite a few bondings done myself but I also know that if two buns really can't stand each other, sometimes it's best to respect that and not force things upon them.

If I put you in a cage with an enemy you might not like it either. I think it's the same for bunnies.

However, I don't think it is right to be angry with Rocko the way you are. To be honest, it's more a case of you failing him than it is him failing you. I think I am more annoyed because it's not like you didn't know all of this. It's sad to think another bunny will just be 'gotten rid of' because someone isn't committed to him.

I don't say it to be mean, but please do look into this as a learning experience and please avoid repeating the same mistake since you are already wanting another rabbit. It's the rabbits who lose out in the end.

Nela wrote:
However, I don't think it is right to be angry with Rocko the way you are. To be honest, it's more a case of you failing him than it is him failing you. I think I am more annoyed because it's not like you didn't know all of this. It's sad to think another bunny will just be 'gotten rid of' because someone isn't committed to him
Not that I'm active anymore, but I saw this thread, read it and what Nela wrote is what came to my mind completely. This is NOT Rocko's fault.

This has all happened due to your choices and errors. Nothing to do with him. He is just being a bunny, which is all he is supposed to be :)

(also, just so you know, the rabbits won't know if they are father and son, they just see each other as a rival male, so they are just as likely to fight as two unrelated unneutered males).

Rabbits rarely attack for "no" reason. They may have a reason we don't understand - they may remember an incident from the past - they may be having health issues that make them grumpy.

From my limited experience as a breeder (but not of Dutch) - I've yet to see a 4 month old be really aggressive..not saying it can't happen (but I keep hearing how Dutch are sweeties).

Anyway - my point is this - it may seem to you like Rocko has no reason - but in his mind - he has one.

I think it would be best for Rocko if you rehomed him....I think he'll be happier and it sounds like he'd be in a better place for what he wants.

And I wouldn't breed your rabbit if you can't work with these two. Sorry - you might wind up with one from the litter doing this same thing and getting upset all over again.

Breeding is NEVER the answer to a problem - especially with all the unwanted bunnies up in your area of the country where I know there are probably rabbits in shelters.

Breeding usually creates additional problems - and I don't recommend it for MOST teenagers (we have a few on this board that do an awesome job but they did lots of research and learned their lessons from other members and from their own bad experiences).

I'm sorry for Rocko - I wish I had space for him here.

I just took in 2 dutch rabbits that are 4 months old and spayed/neutered and bonded meaning one cage, however I've had to split them up because they were pee'ing everywhere because the male kept trying to mount the female and she would spray while running away from him. So I had to bite the bullet and seperate them which means two cages, they still get to play together during exercise time till the male gets ornery again, yes it creates more work for, no they don't get along w/ my other rabbits but it was something I knew could happen and is a possibility with ANY rabbit, you have to be prepared for the worse case scenario when taking a rabbit in.

Hold up. Nela, where are you hearing this info? First off, I am not 12 years old I am 24. I would NEVER and have NEVER put the buns together in the same cage.

As for the breeding, I've always wanted to do that. Not buy a doe but breed with some one else's doe. I wanted to survive Bun Bun. It's not a "trait" it's just he's really special to me(my first bunny of my own!), and I wanted to have a little piece of him left or pass on the "Mr. Bun Bun generation."

When the buns are any where together, they're outside to play around in the yard together - out side their cages of course. We've got a big back yard, they can run around where ever they want until play time is over. Bunnies seem to stay with each other(this includes Koga and Brinca too).

I am confused cause I would imagine babies shouldn't fight with the all ready owned adult male(like Bun Bun!). I've heard that this wouldn't happen - it's not like I made it up or something. What just happend is really new to me, it's really bothersome and frustrating.

I'm going to repeat what happend. Rocko and Bun Bun did well outside the first time(on the grass) - then the next time(last weekend) they were doing good and I thought things were going great just like the old days with Bun Bun and Koga. When I went to get them out of the shed, is when I saw the puffs of hair and markings on Mr. Bun Bun's face.

If yall want to know why I have trouble with money and live with family members is cause I have a neurological disability and kidney problems that disables me from driving and working some jobs.

Also remember - Mr. Bun Bun does not fight back. He gets along with baby rabbits - even the baby cottontails in the garden. He's the best daddy/big brother bunny you could find. He's also sweet with females. He does hump alot though.

Please do not look at me like some person who "gets rid" of rabbits like trash. I just want to do the best for Bun Bun. It's been recommended that if you get 1 rabbit - get another cause they're so social. Even my vet said that. Even though he's injured, he still seems interested in Rocko when he sees him through the cage, buzzing about.

I just don't want Bun Bun to suffer anymore. He's been through alot.

Before anyone wants to post - please read this whole post. Sorry it's long, but I don't want my post to be confused with like my other.

My 13 yr dd has tourettes, ocd and adhd, the bunnies and dog are truly very therapeutic for her. Do you receive SSI? Could you use that to help pay for your bunny's medical needs?

The thing is sure, the baby will get along with Bun Bun... While he's a baby. But the second that bunny hits anywhere from 5-8 months, it will most likely become rabbit aggressive just like Rocko has. Just because a rabbit grows up with another does not mean that at some point, when hormones hit, that rabbit is not going to most likely turn on Bun Bun and you will end up in the exact same situation as you are in now, with a hurt Bun Bun and another rabbit looking to find a home, regardless of if it is father and son.

I don't think you're someone who just dumps them like trash, but I really don't think another rabbit, particularily through breeding, will really help the situation any. Honestly, if Bun Bun seems lonely, just spend more time with him. None of our are bonded to another rabbit in the house or get to play with them, and they are all perfectly happy and healthy. Even just getting him a stuffy bunny would help the situation.

If you are dead set on getting another rabbit, I would say go to a shelter and find an already nuetered one that would get along with him, most shelters will let your rabbits go on bunny playdates and see how well they go before bringing them home.

I would not say breeding now is a particularily good idea, for both the other babies or Bun Bun. Not only is he in his senior years (Breeders, does this effect fertility?) but the possibility of Testicular Cancer... You don't know how that will effect him and is that really something you would want to pass on to a little one if you can't afford a nueter?

Well, hopefully you find a good home for Rocko and Bun Bun heals up well...

(On a side note, I would not let him play with any baby wild bunnies... They carry a number of parasites and disease that can be passed on to Bun Bun quite easily... Just a suggestion.)

Rocko is not a baby bunny. He is an adolescent, so, by nature, will be interested in things like territory.

You're thinking about what's going on with a human head, and from your perspective. You need to think about this from a bunny perspective. Rocko doesn't know that Bun Bun is well established, has a good bond with you, etc. He just sees him as a threat, in his territory and wants to drive him out. He may also be aware if he is ill and will want to drive him out because of that too (bunnies often know before people do).

It sounds like Rocko could have a happier home somewhere else, and I hope you manage to find that. I would suggest only getting a spayed female for Bun Bun (if anyone) and having a thorough research on bonding methods. I'd never suggest letting bunnies run free in a space that's not neutral- that is going to encourage fights and chasing. Generally (in the UK at least), its accepted a small, neutral space is more effective, with a higher success rate. And obivously both rabbits needs to be spayed/neutered and recovered.

Also, with regards to the breeding, I was stupid and bred an elderly bunny, and when he 'fell off' he broke his leg because he was far too old and frail to breed, so be aware that you might incur expensive vet bills that way. And, because you don't know the doe, she could pass anything to him like bunny syphillis, which is also expensive.

SablePoint:

I meant Bun Bun being 12. Not you. Isn't your bun about that age? I wasn't treating you as though you were a kid. By the way, we have teenagers on here that are very respectable so I don't have a problem with minors at all.

Also, about the cage, I meant in a non-natural environment but I guess I could have clarified that better. Basically, they can't get away from each other in the exact same way that they would in nature, even if in a shed or outside. That doesn't mean to say that they would necessarily back down though. Bunnies can and will fight if they feel a need.

I didn't ask you why you are living with your parents nor why you have financial trouble.. I have major health issues as well and I know all too well that that does not mean that you can't make proper decisions for your bunnies. If you know that finances are an issue, and that it is not easy for you to change that, even more reason to rethink breeding and wanting more bunnies. That doesn't mean it's always so easy to accept though but you need to think of the bunny or bunniesdepending on you for their well-being.

Making mistakes has nothing to do with age. Like I said, the problem I have is that you've already posted about Bun Bun and Rocko and we've all been telling you that 2 unneutered males is very risky business. We've all told you to focus on getting them neutered and then work on them. My other issue is you having no finances to neuter one bun but you want to get a replacement for Rocko. It's especially bad if you want a female because a female is bound to get territorial and may even be aggressive with you if not spayed. Not only that but we keep saying how unspayed females are at risk for uterine cancer. Even if you get a spayed female, you still don't have finances for any potential vet bills. Double the number of bunnies = double the risk of vet bills occurring and not having the resources to deal with them.

What I am seeing is you asking for advice and opinions and deciding to go against it. I have no problem with that as you need to make your own experiences and learn from your own decisions. However, do not blame the bunny for it and do understand that the bunnies will suffer the consequences of those decisions.

Like Flashy said, you need to see this from a whole different perspective. Maybe then, you will understand better what is going on with the rabbits.

Personally (if I were you), in this situation, being that I took on Rocko and Mr Bun Bun is old and unwell, I would be patient and keep the boys close to each other but separate so they could benefit from the presence of each other without risking their well-being. I'm sad to say this but 12 is quite up there in terms of age for a rabbit so I would just love on Bun Bun as much as I could right til the end and that's that. When he passes, I'd give myself some time to mourn him and focus on my bond with Rocko and then consider bonding him to a mate if I can deal with an extra bun. Like I mentioned before, you also need to consider that Bun Bun can pass and then you'll be left with a sad bonded mate. Maybe things happen for a reason...

It's not meant as a personal attack or an argument, it's just a "whoa, wait a minute, listen and see this from a different angle..." message. In the end, it's your responsibilty as a pet owner. Your life, your buns, your decisions. What I say probably doesn't mean a thing. All I can hope is that you can see it from the bunnies' perspective so that maybe you can see Rocko as the tough, nature-driven boy he is, rather than the evil brat you see because he is being mean to Bun Bun.

It's ok to be protective of Bun Bun but it's not okay to expect everybun to surrender to him because he is your favorite. :)

By the way, you are extremely lucky that they didn't tear each other apart whilst you weren't looking. So even though Rocko was mean to bite Bun Bun, he could have been much meaner if he had wanted.

Best of luck to you and your buns, no matter what you decide.

Mr. Bun Bun is 8 years old he'll be 9 next month.
I'm not going to breed him. I'll guess I can check out some shelters for a friend.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Please dont shelter him :(
Find him a home, even through classifieds, make an effort to make sure he isnt just "locked up"

I feel bad for rocko, not you. No offence, but you dont put out fire with fuel, its all about countermeasures.

Latest posts

Back