I think Cookie may have a UTI

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The oats could have done it. How much did he get? The oats can cause a build up of bad bacteria which can upset the tummy by providing lots of carbs. Some bunnies are more sensitive to carbs and get upset tummies from it easier. Oats may be something that you need to stay away from with Cookie.

Lots of hay, greens and a little bit of pellets. The more hay Cookie eats, the better. Hay is what the rabbit digestive system was designed to work with, it will help to create a stable gut.

-Dawn

He is eating greens today but have not seen him touch any hay since this morning. I am syringe feeding water to make sure he is getting fluids (as well as leaving the greens wet after rinsing). I will not give him oats or carrots again (even though he only got small amounts and the oats only once).

The Vet seems to have just treated symtoms for a gut issue, Cookie could be pooping just because of the Reglan forcing out the Critical Care. That stuff just forces the gut work, but finding a cause is still a better bet.

The oats could easily have set his gut off, although 'poopy butt' is more common from that. But it shouldn't take too long to get back on track, so if it's been awhile, I'd keep looking.

He also still could have a UTI and the fluids are keeping it at bay and making it feel better. He was dehydrated before which can be painful with a UTI.

Right now he's not in any danger, but if he's still off pellets and hay on Monday, I'd get him back in there.

I'd also see how he does without the Reglan, he really shouldn't need it, it may be making him uncomfortable. But that's your call.

My Vet wouldn't charge me for a second exam in this case, btw, just the tests.

sas :clover:

I did not give the second dose of Reglan. He was eating hay last night and is loving all the greens. Still no interest in pellets. He is pooping good, peeing good. I will not give any reglan today and see if he continues to do well. Do you think I still need the vet? The thing is, this vet seemed to not know much regarding rabbits (my regular vet was not in. This vet was closer and was told he saw rabbits, so I went to a different place.) How do I know he is 'ok'? If he is eating hay, and greens but no pellets does that mean he is ok or not? I have been wetting the greens really good, so he is getting extra fluids.

If a rabbit always loves his pellets and eats them with enthusiasm then if he stops eating them there is a problem somewhere :?

it is just not an emergency problem anymore

You said that you were feeding Blue Seal Hutch Deluxe.

1) Is the bag of pellets a large bag that you have had a long time.? if so the food could be stale or old and possibly "not good"any more.

You might want to get another fresh bag ...
but before you do that .

Ilooked up this pellet . This is an extruded pellet andis fortified and although I cannot find the list of ingredients I am guessing that this this is a very high protein pellet;. it should not be free fed as a maintenance diet

if you look on the back of the bag maybe you could post the protein, fiber,fat and calcium content Also what are the first 3 ingredients listed. ?
if you got Cookie in July then is Cookie about 9 months old now? it is possibly time to choose a new pellet for anadult/adolescent rabbit

Also is Cookie eating alfalfa or timothy hay. Time to slowly switch him over to timothy hay if you are feeding alfalfa..once this present physical problem is stabilized.

The other possibility is that he has dental issues .Some rabbits stop eating pellets if there teeth are bothering them although usually pellets are generally easy to eat as they sort of melt in their mouths.
The emergency seems to be over so a vet visit immediately is not necessary but you need to sort out what could be the reasons behind leaving the pellets.
if you were feeding critical care by syringe and he is better then once again you may need to consider a dental issues?

We have a puzzzle to solve

in your first post you said that he was sort of licking her lips; is he still doing that or making any other unusual motions with his mouth. ?

He was born July 4th, I got him in Sept. at 8 weeks. His breeder suggested I feed him those pellets because of the longer fur (it has papaya in them). I will get the ingrediants off the bag. Yes, I bought a 50 lb bag. He is no longer doing any weird mouth movements (has not since Friday when I took him to the vets.) I have not given any reglan since yesterday morning, and I also did not give any critical care, since he fought me on it last night and he is eating well (except not the pellets). He is eating timothy hay (that is the only kind he has ever eaten, never fed alfalfa). The only 'new' thing he got before going off the hay was the oats. It was only one time, about a tablespoonful. He seems to be pooping and peeing normally. I continue to give fresh greens, washed and left wet. He is eating well. He is grooming himself, and is sleeping in his 'normal' position. He likes to sit in his litter box from time to time (this is something he has done since little) and is doing that again (this is normal for him. Not straining to potty, just sitting/laying down. It has a grate on it.) I will see my regular vet and have her go over him with a fine tooth comb. What pellet do you suggest I get him? The vet did check his teeth, but only by looking with a scope and light.

he is younger thanI thought so that food is most likely still OK .

I Will have to look into possible new foods later

Give him some time... he may still eat his pellets.I think that it was the oats that disrupted him

he could have dental issues but kind of unlikely in such a young rabbit.

Just put some fresh hay in and he started eating it right away!! About to change out his litter box, but he pooped quite a bit last night again so that is good! Pee looks a little dark again, but no where near as dark. But I read certain greens can darken the urine, so I am thinking that may be what I am seeing? It is not thick, it is normal consistency.

I will get the ingrediants off the bag of the pellets and post them.

WOOHOO.....COOKIE IS EATING HIS PELLETS!!!!! Just went in to check on him and he was at his dish, mowing down pellets!!!!

I will still be getting him in to see my regular vet but I am feeling SO MUCH BETTER!!! I don't know what I would have done w/o everyone here's help! I realize I have so much more to learn and plan on being here to do just that!

He continues to eat like a champ....hay, greens and pellets! This morning, he was rubbing his face over and over on my fingers when I put them through the bars....Cookie is back! I will keep a close eye and get him in for a check up with my regular vet (which I was going to do anyway, as he needs to be neutered, was waiting for him to be old enough). Thank you to everyone, you helped me save Cookie and I will forever be grateful to you all!

BLUE SEAL PRODUCTS

Product Texture Crude Protein Min. % Crude Fat Min. % Crude Fiber Max. %

Show Hutch Deluxe® Extruded 17.0 3.0 18.0
Hutch Plus™ 18 Pelleted 18.0 3.0 15.0
Hutch Extra™ 17 Pelleted 17.0 2.5 18.0
Bunny 16 Pelleted 16.0 2.5 18.0
Rabbit 15 Pelleted 15.0 2.0 20.0
Guinea Pig Pels Pelleted 20.0 4.0 16.0
Sunshine Plus™ Pelleted 30.0 3.0 6.0

That pellet doesn't sound too bad for a growing bunny. It has more fat and protein than I'd give an adult, but it does have higher fiber than some pellets. I'm glad you got a resolution of the gut issue.

I would keep an eye on the urine, in case it wasn't the oats that caused this but a genuine UTI. Oats can be hard on some bunnies, but UTIs commonly cause lots of pain that can lead to a bunny not wanting to eat. If it is a UTI that caused it, it needs to be treated aggressively so that he doesn't stop eating again.

I am going to try to get a urine sample to drop off just to make sure. (Will leave his litter box empty and hopefully can get one that way.) He is eating really well.

Now, I am going to be picking up a wild cottontail that was hit by a car, so will have my hands full again. I have a friend who is a licensed rehabber, so we will see if we can help him. Seems to be a head trauma.

Thank you. Sadly, this little guy was in very bad shape, so I took him to my vets and had him humanely put down. Not how I hoped it would end, but better then he lie dying on the road, freezing. RIP little buns....binky free.

"He continues to eat like a champ....hay, greens and pellets! This morning, he was rubbing his face over and over on my fingers when I put them through the bars....Cookie is back!"

That is very good to hear :bunnydance:

You did what you could for the little wild bun and eased his suffering when it was clearnothing else could be done. RIP little bun.

Jo x

Latest posts

Back