I think Cookie may have a UTI

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added a lot of water to the critical care. He seemed ok with taking it, didn't really fight and swallowed it. I am going to take him out and get him moving. I have not seen him poop. I will offer some more greens, as well. Thank you, I got very nervous about the reglan! I just want to help him get better. He said if this does not help, he would do an xray and a urine sample. I believe right before I went in (they squeezed me in) a dog passed. His owners were there (understandably crying) and I think my vet was a little distracted. Just a feeling I got. They are in tomorrow, so can always call. What about the pain meds? Should I call tomorrow and try to get them or just push the fluids and get the simethicone? I worry about pain and what it can do to a bunny (I NEVER want to go through what I did with Carrot. I still can't believe we are here again!) I thought I was doing everything right. Cookie is still a baby (he turns 1 yr on July 4th.)

Ok, just offered him greens (spring mix) and he is eating it, no problem, so that is good, right? I will watch for poop. I don't have pedialyte, can I just try water in a syringe? I wish I had known earlier, I could have grabbed it. So, should I just let him be with the reglan and cc I already gave him (one dose of each)? He wants me to give him the reglan 2x a day *but since it was late, I figured only one tonight. And he wants me to do 20 mgs 3x a day (only did one, again, as it was late).

Also, although I don't have the stuff to do sub-q, I know how to. Do you think I should pick some up tomorrow to be on the safe side? I'm sure he will give it to me.

You can soak the greens in some water so that he gets more hydration with his greens.

Greens are an excellent thing for him to be eating, and hay is good to, you mentioned he ate some hay earlier.

-Dawn

Yes, he has begun nibbling on hay and he did eat all but a couple of baby spinach leaves. I wash them but not thinking dried them off (will leave them wet next time). When should I begin to worry about pooping or lack there of? He has not pooped since earlier today when I changed out his litter box. Thanks guys! I love Cookie and I don't want to loose him.

if he pooped earlier today that is good because you are catching this in the beginning.
If you have any juice to add to the water bowl you can try that before syringing fluids. ( not a lot of juice but top it off like cream in coffee)
it is also good that you can syringe the critical care without a struggle.
How does he look /?

if he is drinking a lot you don't have to syringe fluids
is he active or sort of quiet and lethargic?

if you can do a sub q then ask the vet because you will not need to syringe all these fluids .

if he was pooping earlier todayI doubt very much that he has a blockage

an xray can still show whether there is food just sitting in the stomach and if the Gi tract is full.

if he looks like he is in pain then talk with the vet about that tomorrow ; there are other drugs for pain other than metacam ; there is tramadol (however that sometimes slows the Gi tract which you do not want)

You also want to see if his urine looks more normal with increased fluids; possibly he doesn't have a UTI
How was Carrot treated for stasis?

Sadly, Carrot passed before we could even get him to a vet (it was a Sunday afternoon). I had been busy all week, as we were having a birthday party that weekend, so I know I wasn't as attentive and I missed he wasn't eating much. That Sunday, I noticed he had not touched any food, I took him out, I got blood on my shirt. I frantically started calling places. He passed 20 mins later in my arms. I had never heard a bunny scream until then. I never want to hear it again!!

I just had him out playing and hoping around. Quick question, when they eat their night poops, do the turn around and take them as they come out? It looks like that is what he is doing. Also, after I had him out running around, he went immediately to his litter box and although small, did three poops! His belly still feels good. I think (know) the running and moving helped. He also started eating hay when he went back in his cage (and so you know, his cage is a three level 'cat cage' we modified with our own ramps/levels. So he has a lot of space. The only juice I have is orange (it is the concentrate you add to water), would that be ok or should I just offer water and get other juice and pedialyte tomorrow? Up until today, he seemed like he was not in pain, as he was sleeping stretched out on his side. Today he is either hunched up or lying belly tight to the floor, so I know. I am praying I caught this in time and can turn it around! Thank you SO MUCH for all the help. I am so grateful for everyone here!!!

I'm going to be signing off, but will be back on on the morning. Thank you again. Cookie says 'thank you', too!

if you could get the simethicone it would help alot . the belly to the floor is a sign of gas. it is sold at any pharmacy under the names mylicon infant gas drops or gas x or some other brands?( read the back of the box) ; simethicone should be the only active ingredient.
What happened to Carrot is NOT usual and I agree that you probably did not see the signs ahead of time. I hope that you never have to go through that again.

Sounds good that he pooped 3 poops ;; that is a beginning. and that he is eating. :)

I personally would not use orange juice but wait and see if anyone else has used it

it seems like the exercise is helping ..try to continue to give him time out to run.
They do eat their night dropping from there anuses (gross :shock:but it is good that he is eating his because they are good for him)

I'd stick with just water, orange is a little acidic.

Yes, they do eat their cecals as they exit, I was thinking that was what he was doing. It looks like they're 'chewing'. And if he's eating them, its a sign of good health. If he's producing too many, it might be that something's 'off' on his diet.

It may just be that he had a slight digestive upset with some gas.

Watch his teeth and his urine, though. He's a little young for problems, but its possible he's experiencing molar spurs or a UTI or stones.

sas :clover:

Ok, we made it through the night....and I woke to LOTS OF BEAUTIFUL NORMAL POOP IN HIS LITTER BOX! I am getting ready to go get his drops, pedialyte and pineapple juice. Anything else I should pick up? He ate more greens this morning. I am giving him small handfuls at a time, often, so not to have a big bunch to digest at once. Is that correct? Also, should I continue with the reglan and critical care? He didn't fight me on either. He is so good!! Yes, the exercise definitely helped, so I plan on having him out in the kitchen with his litter box all day, I will stay with him. Thank you all so much. He was so sweet last night, he kept coming over to me and rubbing on my face last night....I think he understands I am trying to help him!

OMG....I just about had a heart attack! I just went in to check on Cookie and he was on his side (he normall sleeps like that.....always give me a heart attack, but esp. today!) I called him name and he jumped up! OMG.....I was so afraid I had lost him!! I believe the fact he is lying like that, he has to be feeling a little better (not out of the woods I know, but moving in the right direction!) I will keep you posted. (Breathe, Mary, Breathe.....lol)

I'm glad that he is better.

The more that he is eating on his own, drinking on his own and pooping the less that you need to force feed.
You can pick up some canned pure pumpkin without seasoning to have on hand ( no pie filling)

Try to introduce timothy hay into his diet .. you can try timothy hay if you normally feed alflafa because it is less rich ( he is about 6-7 months or so?)
I will be at the shelter most of today so won't be on until tonight
if he is moving about normally and looks fine you can give benebac but can hold off on the simethicone but have it on hand..

Ok, thanks. What about the other stuff, from the vets? Should I continue using them????? He is eating greens, and a little hay, won't touch pellets (he is fed BlueSeal Show Hutch Deluxe, per his breeder). I will also get the pumpkin. Thank you!

when he is a little older you will want to change to a lower protein pellet with high fiber contentbut don't worry about that at this point.

he is not well until he wants his pellets ( if he was a pellet lover)

however high fiber food is best for him now to gethim moving

If he likes you to feed him Critical care go ahead and keep it up but if he is fighting youI would not worry about it if he is eating other things...

I remembered something this morning. Before Cookie went off eating his hay, I had given him a handful of Quaker Long Cooking Oats. I had never given them to him (I used to give them to a bunny I used to have, although never gave any to Carrot). I only gave it the one time, but that was something he ate before he went off his food. Could that have caused the GI upset, leading to him going off hay and then pellets?

Just put him back in his cage. He was out for a few hours. Got the reglan in him and he drank water mixed with apple juice (as well as pedialyte). He also peed, and it looked more normal color/consistency and pooped, too (normal as well). He seems to be getting better. I put him back in with fresh greens and he started to eat them right away. So if he is eating hay and greens, I should not be concerned on the pellets? He is not eating a ton of hay, just nibbling it.

Latest posts

Back