I still can't determine my babies breeds!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxana2412

Reaction score
Hi! I have two rabbits they are both male, Connie & Bear
Connie is around 2 1/2 years old (9lbs) (White with black and browns spots) and Bear is around 9-11 months. (2.5lbs) (mainly black but brown and shades of white on his belly chest and feet
I read the breed identification thread! and I still can't find what breed they are, I feel like they might be a mixture of different breeds. It is not that important but I feel like it could help me out specially with Bear because he's more of an aggressive bunny, very submissive to me and other humans and always scared, has licked me a couple of times, but looks for trouble with other bunnies, he got neutered 2 weeks ago so I'm still waiting for changes, however, I feel like he's more like a wild rabbit than a domestic one for some reason. Bear doesn't eat that much, does not drink water , I'm a bit scared, but I read it might be because he doesn't require that much water, and he's getting it from his veggies. Connie just loves eating and eating . and does not fear humans, and noises barely bother him, they both got neutered at the same time.
hAQ1Bw

buns.jpg

but looks for trouble with other bunnies, he got neutered 2 weeks ago so I'm still waiting for changes, however, I feel like he's more like a wild rabbit than a domestic one for some reason.
hAQ1Bw

It can take up to 8 weeks for hormones to fully dissipate after a neuter. It would not be surprising if his hormones are all out of whack this soon after a neuter.

If you are suggesting that he is literally "part wild," he's not. Not if you are in the US. Domestic rabbits cannot breed with the wild rabbit population (cottontails) in the US.

Do they get hay refreshed every day? Usually the eating of hay will cause a rabbit to drink more water. He should eat about his body size in hay each day.

I have seen some rabbits that are very aggressive with other rabbits. It doesn't have to do with their breed, just the way that particular rabbit happens to be. And sometime 2 individual rabbits refuse to get along. Just the way it is.

Hm, my house bunny is about 10lbs, and definitly doesn't look anything like the dwarfs on the pictures... Breeds? Hm, I'm not into pet breeds, but that actually doesn't matter - they are what they resemble.

For them, size dosn't mean anything, it's all about their mind setting. Well, anyway. Rabbit personalitys are very diverse, that has nothing to do with wild or not, being friendly and confident with humans is a bred in and trained trait. There are good breeders who focus on that and get good, consistant results, if you just breed rabbits (whatever breed) for numbers and not for character you get any result, from friendly to skittish.

Yours seems to be pretty normal specimen. Patience. And, for 2 males, that after 2 weeks past neuter still think they are males even killing each other might be a completly normal thing. That doesn't mean that those are bad pets, it's just another level of understanding. I have rabbits that I can pick up and pet (with training), others are friendly, but do not allow that I touch them.
Whatever, it takes longer than 2 weekes for hormones to dissipate (what I've read up to 6 weeks), don't put them together while still on that dope, and imho their true personality may take years to settle in. About bonding etc., there is a lot to read about that, but as far as I can tell - keep them apart as long hormones rage, when they learn that other males are something they need to fight because hormones tell that may be hard to forget and make later bonding more difficult. Also, there are some behaviours while bonding that are hard to watch, there may be chasing and fur pulling.
Two males may be a difficult combination, read up on that, can't tell much about that other than that 2 years ago I had to dispatch 3 bucklings because they ripped their bellies open. That about bonding and stuff is what I've read, none of my rabbits is neutered, yet.

putting two males together is a terrible idea, especially if they are still hormonal (they are). It's got nothing to do with 'breeds'. There is no guarantee Bear will ever want to share his territory with another male, which would make him a pretty normal rabbit - this is why it is advised everywhere to pair neutered males (neutered for at least 6 weeks!) with spayed females. Maybe it will calm down in a few weeks (in the meanwhile, DON'T put those two together) if you are lucky. If not, be prepared to keep them separated forever.
The food thing is more concerning. What do you mean by 'not eating much'? What are you giving them to eat and in which quantities?

Bear eats pellets and veggies, I soak the veggies with water because he does not like drinking water, I tried putting a bowl of water, and I tried a syringe to give him water, he has his water bottle, but he rejects every possible way I give him water, and he usually waits till 8pm to eat his veggies, when they're almost dry, I know he's still only 2lbs and does not really need that much food or water, but it concerns me, he also has orange reddish urine. I already took him to the vet, and he just said he might be getting his water from the vegetables, but how is that enough? if he waits hours before eating his veggie when its dry.

Bear looks like Netherland or English dwarf crossed with another breed??? I had same problem with my male rabbit (Duke) not drinking water, solution was to have water right next to the pellets (eg container with two bowls)
This means when he eats pellets, he’ll most likely have a drink to quench his thirst. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be too worried, rabbits usually know when they need water and mostly get moisture from their greens naturally.

When I first saw Bear I thought he was a Tan, but not at 2.5 lbs. Netherland Dwarfs are that size and come in the Tan markings. I would lean towards that, except his head isn’t dwarfish. It’s also possible he’s a mix with Tan thrown in. Tans are active and can be mischievous, but they weigh about 5 lbs grown. The white one looks like a mix with hotot thrown in.

Back