I really hate to do this. (re: aggressive bunny)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinysMom wrote:
undergunfire wrote:
".....DEFINITELY SQUISHY NASTY BUNNY BALLS :p.
:roflmao:

I'm dying laughing here because I wish Ryan had been there with a camera so we could've seen the look on you rface.

I'm sorry - I understand how you must be feeling - sometimes I have to look away when Hermes is out playing because I almost want to blush.
LOL, I have seen some of our boy buns with huge hangy-downies! Sorry if this is
TMI.

RO controls such 'donations' very tightly to prevent abuse.

I deleted Amy's post because it reiterated the request that I had clearly stated was against the rules. :(

This is not directed at Amy, but it is VERY easy for someone to actually turn a profit because there are kind hearted bunny slaves willing to help out fellow members, and this has been abused in the past.

Members can not be privy to other members' efforts and thus the total amounts contributed cannot be monitored.

If anybody HAS donated funds to anyone on RO, including Amy, it MUST be public or at least monitored.

If you have contributed to any monetary contributions that don't involve the sale of goods (and even those are subject to some scrutiny), please post the information publicly, or PM the Admin.

I will add that this situation is NOT a rescue. It is in this section only because Myia was looking to rehome this rabbit.

Myia has stated she was fully intending to neuter Sheriff, his behavior just made it necessary earlier than she was able to do so within her immediate budget constraints.

Amy took in the rabbit with the intention of socializing him and re-homing him again. She is covering half the neuter fee because if she is successful, she can ask for an adoption fee that will cover half the cost of the neuter.

Thus there is no need for donations at all, only speculative LOANS.

There are rabbits out there truly in need.

sas :expressionless

Well, if he is able to be adopted out then there will most likely be shipping costs ($250) involved in rehoming him by airplane...so at that point I will not ask a rehoming fee. I don't think I have ever asked a rehoming fee for animals I have rescued/taken in & adopted out because I have found good enough homes :). If he gets adopted out locally (or within driving distance), then I'd rather the adopter not pay anything and spend it on toys for him (he's a toy lover) or choose to make a donation to a rabbit rescue (or to this forum!). Of course, if he can be adopted out...it will only be to an experienced rabbit home.

I just want to ad that even if I had to put it on my credit card, he would still be getting a neuter this Friday! Ryan and I put all "emergency" animal expenses on a specific credit card (no one goes without a need here). I was open to donations/loans/whatever if people wanted to donate (not needed anymore, thank you though!) just because hey...anything helps when you've taken on a foster!

Since I agree with Sas that there are rabbits out there who are truly in need.....anyone who wanted to donate to Damon's neuter, why don't you donate it to a rescue or a shelter so that a bunny who REALLY needs a medical expense paid for, can get it done?

:biggrin2:

undergunfire wrote:
Well, if he is able to be adopted out then there will most likely be shipping costs ($250) involved in rehoming him by airplane...so at that point I will not ask a rehoming fee. I don't think I have ever asked a rehoming fee for animals I have rescued/taken in & adopted out because I have found good enough homes :). If he gets adopted out locally (or within driving distance), then I'd rather the adopter not pay anything and spend it on toys for him (he's a toy lover) or choose to make a donation to a rabbit rescue (or to this forum!). Of course, if he can be adopted out...it will only be to an experienced rabbit home.

I just want to ad that even if I had to put it on my credit card, he would still be getting a neuter this Friday! Ryan and I put all "emergency" animal expenses on a specific credit card (no one goes without a need here). I was open to donations/loans/whatever if people wanted to donate (not needed anymore, thank you though!) just because hey...anything helps when you've taken on a foster!

Since I agree with Sas that there are rabbits out there who are truly in need.....anyone who wanted to donate to Damon's neuter, why don't you donate it to a rescue or a shelter so that a bunny who REALLY needs a medical expense paid for, can get it done?

:biggrin2:

That's really lovely Amy. So good of you. I've had an awful few days- probs one of the worst few of my life, and this post has actually made me smile n given me a little faith in humanity again (and no I am not referring to my frying pan, if people who read my previous post thinks that that is why the last few days have been bad hahaha :p )

Well done 2 u :inlove:

Amy, I admire your intentions, but I still feel that rehoming fees exsist for a reason; if they want a rarer breed like a English lop for no fee and have its vet and nueter bills cost, well isn't that just idealistic?

I don't understand why the new owner can't have a rehoming fee that goes twoard the nueter..not the cost of the rabbit, the nueter.

Sheriff himself was $120..then add the cost of the cage and food I gave you is about another $100.

So I don't see what is so wrong with asking a very reasonable rehoming fee to help twoards his nueter. If they have good intentions and really want him, I don't see why they wouldn't want to pay a rehoming fee.

If he gets his aggression issue through, he will be a PERFECTLY healthy, normal rabbit. NO special needs, and he is NOT a rescue. So no, I don't see the problem with a rehoming fee.

If he is still aggressive, he should be free to a good home who can handle him.

Even rescue have $50-80 rehoming fee.

If he was going to someone on the forum who had to pay $250 in flight costs (not to mention gas to the airport), then I wouldn't charge a fee because that would lessen his chances of adoption because it would be up towards $300. I'd rather they save the $50 (or whatever) adoption fee that they would pay me, and use it towards some fun toys for him...or just donate the adoption fee to a rescue to help out needy bunnies (I'd probably just take the fee and do just that if they gave it to me). Chances are he can't be adopted out around here locally...AZ lacks badly in experienced rabbit homes and while I know quite a few AZ rabbit lovers, they are already full and don't want another permanent rabbit.

I don't think its all about recovering costs here...my main focus is waiting to see how he is after his neuter and then get the best home for HIM. I do understand both you and I are losing quite a bit of money because its all being invested in him (food costs, toys, litter, hay, his purchase cost, cage supplies, etc)....but its going to be worth it if he can end up in a home that is perfect for him.

-----------------

On a side note.....I think he's only cage aggressive (which he may never grow out of). I've been doing a bit of testing and he's totally fine in the house during run time (currently is out for a few hours), but once you walk towards his cage he will come running with his tail held high to protect it. He has sat on the couch with me and even though I was cautious of getting bit (but not showing it), he doesn't act the same way as if you were near his cage (his mouth will go crooked if he feels the need to bite).

Yes I saw that in the video Myia posted. He seemed okay until his "personal space" ie. his cage was approached etc.

Very occasionally Benji can be like that, but nowhere near as aggressive. SOMMEETTIMMESS when i reach in to take his bowl to clean etc. (I try to "invade" their cages as little as possible, because that is their own personal space that they can feel totally safe in, knowing they won't be bothered if they want a few hours of peace etc.) he can push me away with his front paws and growl slightly. I often just tell him he's been a silly boy and give him a nose rub, which he appreciates with a few licks in return. But I think this happened about twice, years ago, so perhaps it was a few months of hormones or something.

I think that must be quite common for buns to be territorial around their cage. I mean, it's kind of like some teenagers being protective over their bedroom- it's theirs and if someone goes and rifles through it they are like 'what u doing??? at least ask', or they go up their to get away and just relax and destress etc.

Myia- are you not planning to take Sheriff back if he does well with Amy? I thought Amy was just gonna have a go at training him, and then he was going to come back to you?
Is he going to a totally new home now? In that case my posts about the name change being bad are total nonsense, because they were only in line with him being returned to Myia. Lol

Amy- aww his mouth goes crooked when he's thinking about biting? (I know the words 'aww' and 'bite' shouldn't go together in the same sentence but I can just imagine his little mouth :p ). How does he get on with your other animals? Or is he separated? Does he get on with Ryan?

Also on a totally seperate note, Myia I was looking through ur blog to catch on the beginning of Sheriff's 'journey' and you are SO pretty!!!!!! *jealousy*

Yikes, after asking for full disclosure, I forgot to mention that the Forum has been kind enough to loan Myia and Amy the $40 for half the cost of the neuter.

However, as this has now developed into an argument between Myia and Amy on the issue :sigh:, its best that RO steps out of the mix.

Sheriff/Damon's neuter may have to go on hold while the girls sort this out. This thread will probably end up being moved out of Rescue Me. It's more of a Behavior, Blog or even a Rabbitry issue at this point.

Sorry!!

sas :eek:hwell:

Its not an arguement Pipp. It really isn't. Its figuring out how to pay for the nueter fairly, which I am fully able to do in May. End of story, no argument.

Oh dear.....
I hope everything gets sorted.

Well done for RO giving the loan though, especially when it relies on donations itself.

I will send the money back to the forum right now, but Damon is still getting neutered on Friday (back to my original plan of putting now half of it on credit) because he NEEDS it to be done and "not having the money" isn't going to change that (if he was sick he'd go to the vet and at this point he is "sick" and needs to go into the vet).

There shouldn't have been ANY confusion/arguement in the first place, as Myia was supposed to give at least have of the neuter fee to me when she dropped him off, but that was not done.

If Myia wants to still give her share as soon as she can, then that would be great since that was what was agreed upon from the beginning (before she didn't know she didn't have the money to cover it). If not, then thats fine too because it won't hurt me any...I'll just be happy knowing he's neutered and hopefully "on the road to recovery".....$85 is pocket change knowing I have helped a rabbit live a healthier (and hopefully happier) life.

-----------------

Jen....Damon does just fine with the kitties and dog - he doesn't mind one bit if they are in his cage while he is in there. He is in the living room away from my bunnies (they have their own room). He does just fine with Ryan, too, and will go over to Ryan and "beg" for pets while he's at his computer.

That's great to hear he is getting on so well with you, and the neuter can only help. I would imagine it would help bucketloads, but I guess you can never be sure.

What is the agreement about where he is going? I thought he was still Myia's bun and would return to her?

This is quite confusing. I guess a rehoming fee isn't necessary, as long as you've checked out the person thoroughly and you know they are genuine etc, and, of course, you yourself don't need any of the neuter money etc. 'back' as it were.
If you were looking for the cost of the neuter (because obviously you didn't expect a large sum to need to be paid, because you've only just taken him on ), you could explain that the rehoming 'fee' was only to cover his neuter, rather than a 'payment' etc.

Jen

Yikes, where did my post go? I hate rewrites. :p

Okay... for the second time...

Jen, the 'discussion' about Sheriff/Damon referred to in this thread is actually in Myia's blog, sorry for the confusion. :) But its none of our concern here.

I've moved this thread to the 'Behavior' section because its no longer a rehome situation, but we're all very keen to see how this little guy does after his neuter!

We'll leave Myia and Amy to peacefully and gracefully sort out the costs and any other issues involved in the transfer via PMs.

sas :thanks:

Gosh, I've just read through the posts... what an interesting read. Its actually so touching that so many people are so caring about rabbits. It also makes me feel better about my "naughty bun" as he has never actually 'bitten' me. I hope everything goes well with the bun and he finds a good home and his issues sort themselves out!

Thanks, Pip! And yes, Damon will still be going in for his neuter on Friday, as planned :biggrin2:.

------

Last night I was on Skype with Alicia and Damon was up on the couch with me...whenever Alicia would talk he would do bunny 500's on the couch :laughsmiley:. He was also nibbling on my hoodie zipper and also nudged me on the back when he wanted me to move out of his way so he could get behind me....so I think that is great progress because he could have bitten me to tell me to "MOVE!". For now I am only calling him cage aggressive because that is the only time you can tell he get agitated with me :).

4487742611_871dcb27e1.jpg

Latest posts

Back