I need help please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melodie

Reaction score
Okay thumper had 7 babys and bugs had 3 so i split them up now the ones that our left in thumpers cage she is not feeding them they our very skinny WHAT SHOULD I DO ?????????? I dont wont eny to die Helpppp please

it can take up to 24 hours for the milk to come through. If they are the babies in the pictures on your other post then they all look pretty healthy. They look fatter after a feed.

Now the mama buns have had their babies you can give them more pellets while they are feeding the babies. If you are concerned then you could give thumper a nice piece of veg and see if you can get the babies under her to feed.

could be she doesn't like the interuption of you going in and out to much as well so I would try the feed and then give her some space for a while.

Also remember that the babies will only feed once or twice a day and they are turbo suckers so they don't take long to get their meal!! as long as the tummy's look round like the picture you posted in the other thread.

Thank you i will try that a couple of the babys thow are very very skinny im not sure if you can see in those pics but i can post one and show you,then it would help me if you can tell me if its okay...

No problem Melodie put teh pics up and we will have a look.:)

Mayeb try to keep 1 thread going though as it will get confusing if we are looking at lots of different ones:)

Iam very sorry im try to figure it all out thank you also here is the best i can do they wont stay still lol
ggtt.jpg

sorry is there a wayi can move them all to one page or is it to late im not very good with cumputers i just got this thang..

They look Ok Melodie If you are worried about them try and get the mum to give them an extra feed. But they don't look to skinny to me.

Also I kno wit is hard but sometimes they just don't have the ability to suckle or have problems we don't kow of.

As i said when I have to do it I usually give a piece of their favourite veg and then pop the babies underneath. if that doesn't work you xcan do what I think Cathy told you and try putting the mum on her back and popping teh babies on her nipples but watch out for her not liking what is happening and kicking out. Or if you prefer the othe rway and the mum is resisting you can gently hold her head for the babies to get a feed.

okay i gave her a bunch of lettuce and carrots and i think she is doing much better i went out there about 45 min ago and she was feeding them soi thinkthats what she needed so Thank you everyone for your help, I will check on them tomarrow morning to see how they are doing...

Hey Melodie, how is everyone looking this morning? momma looking ok and eating? Do the babies look good?

okay so i noticed that more i feed the does the veggies the more they want to feed i gave them lettuce about2 hour ago i just went out there and one of the does is feeding,should they feed more then twice a day ? is it okay ? When do they start getting hair?Also when do there eyes open ?Okay i know i am proble asking really dum questions but i never had bunny babies ..all mybunnies where already grown sorry about it..

No dumb questions! We don't mind helping!

The first few days, the momma may feed them more often than just twice a day. Her milk is just coming in and her body hasn't adjusted to a schedule... she will jump in to the nest box torelieve pressure in her mammary glands. Yes it's OK.

They baby's will start to look like they have hair by day 3 or 4. They do have hair now, it's just so fine, you can't see it too well.

Their eyes will open between day 10 and day 12. Any baby whose eyes are not open by then may need help.

It's perfectly okay for a bunny to feed her babies more than twice a day. I've had some mom's who I had to help feed by putting them on the nest and others who would feed their babies every couple of hours. All the babies grew up nice and healthy. The ones that where fed more frequently where a lot rounder but they all matured at about the same rate once they started weaning.

The babies will start to get fur at a couple days old and it will continue to grow. You might be able to see the startings of the fur if you take a look at the babies now.

Their eyes will open at about 10-14 days. You want to make sure that all their eyes are open by 14 days and if they are not they can get infected. If that happens, let us know and we'll help you.

When I have babies, I always start handling them very young. I take the babies out and snuggle with them on the couch in a fleece blanket from a few days old. I find the human contact helps them to be friendlier when they mature. You should at least check over each baby every day to make sure they are all doing well.

After their eyes open, they should start moving around more. Make sure the enclosures they are in don't have any places for a baby bunny to get their head stuck.

Good luck, and please keep asking questions! We are all here to help you.

--Dawn

Thank you ya i have been holding them at least once a day plus i take new pics ever day so when i do give them to good homes they will have photos from birth i wish i would of had that with all mine but they where all given to me and a couple where found but hay thanx again..:)I have some more pics i will post the top wons love to cuddle these are the only ones i can hold in my hand and they just go to sleep the others just want to jump lol..

The one in the middle is definitely a dutch. The other two look to be minirexes from the pictures.

I also wanted to add- if youre not experienced with breeding you might not know this but you have to keep females and males separate at all times. Even though momma has just given birth shes fertile and can/will mate again if given the chance. Just wanted to be sure you knew this so you dont have more babies in 30 days :)

Also, are you getting into breeding? If not, to avoid more pregnancies you should definitely consider having your male neutered ASAP! :)

Latest posts

Back