Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I neuter my other male rabbit?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Find him a new home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, keep them separated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Amandalyn

Reaction score
I have two male rabbits, both are about 1 year old currently. They came from the same place, a local breeder but are not from the same litter. Back in December of 2017 they got in a heated hormonal fight and one ripped the other’s ear off. Since then, the one with the ripped ear has been treated and neutered. The other has not seen a vet and is not neutered. They live in seperate cages, but right next to each other.

I am moving to a new house in a few months and am considering neutering the other rabbit in hopes they can live together again. But I am worried I will spend several hundred dollars and they will not get along and one will injure or kill the other. Or I will have to get rid of one. Or I will be in the same boat I am in right now, which is they live in seperate cages.

Please help!!! I want what’s best for my babies.

When it comes to bonding rabbits there's really no guarantee. While there is a good chance for the two to be able to bond once you get your other buck neutered and give it 8 weeks for his hormones to die down before attempting the bond, there is always the possibility that it won't work out. Male/male and female/female are considered more difficult bonds than male/female, but really in the end it comes down to compatible personalities. And there's really no way to know that until the other buck is neutered.

If the money of having it done is an issue, in some places there are low cost spay and neuter clinics that will do rabbits, so might be worth looking into. Also different vets will charge differently, so calling around for prices would be something to try as well. Having a really experienced rabbit vet do it is always best, but I know that it can be expensive in some cases.

Back