I am such a sucker.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I went to the pet store around the corner with afriend to grab some Alfalfa based pellets for Madilyn to get hereating, and I walked into the "pet room" and saw two TINY baby bunnies.One was a tort dutch mix and the other was a lionhead....a BLACKlionhead....a baby Madilyn:(.

ANYWAY.....

I HAD to look at the mice also. I saw a tank full of males and somefemales in there. This pet store sells for snake food, so they don'tcare if they mix sexes.

I saw a HEAVILY pregnant himi pointed mouse. I knew I had to take herand couldn't let her have her babies in that tank on pine bedding witha ton of males around.

So being the sucker that I am, I took her, went to Petsmart to get anew tank and supplies. Now I am left with a heavily pregnant mouse wholooks like she could pop soon.

I have read a ton about mouse/rat pregnancy and I am prepaired for it. I should start refreshing my memory of it again though.

She really looks pregnant. She could not be, but she was in a tank of males....so I am 90% sure she is.

When she has her babies, I will try to find homes for all of them. It will be hard, but I can do it.

ERGGG......why so I have to be so caring?!

p.s.....pictures to follow later tonight.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

Wait a minute.....you left the lionhead behind and bought a mouse???

I'm not gonna tell my girls that......

:D

Aww. Poor thing. I really dislike pet stores that are like that.

Hope everything goes alright and you find homes for the babies.

Can't wait for the picture! :D

Way back when I was in school, we bred mice inScience, and at the end of the term we were allowed to take some home(with parents' permission of course!!) I took home a boy and a girl(didn't sex well...) over the next few months I had so many litters itwasn't funny!! Lucky my dad was good at building mouse cages...

Anyway, baby mice are soooo cute :)

I would have rescued her too... I haven't seen feeder mice in my localpet store fortunately!! Although, I'm sure they must sell them, as theysell reptiles...:( Maybe they just sell the pet mice as snake food!!!!Argh...I'd better not think about it...

Yes, Peg, I left behind a lionhead baby for amouse. It was hard, I threw myself on the floor to get town to herlevel and take a look. She was such a doll, but I know I can't haveanother rabbit right now. Plus, I am waiting for one of YOUR babies:D.

I keep doubting it, but she MUST be pregnant. A female mouse throwninto a cage of male mice? She has to be. I shouldn't doubt myself.

I thought Ryan (my fiance) would be soooo ticked at me. He wasn't madAT ALL! He was happy, as long as I find homes for all of them.

I hope I can find them all homes. I am going to try my hardest!

Here are the pictures I promised. This threadwill be all about "unnamed" and you guys will be able to follow alongwith her pregnancy.

I think it's a joke. I MUST stop kidding myself. She HAS to be pregnant. LOOK AT HER!

Her cage (not much in it yet)....

newmousie%20004.jpg

And the lovely mommy herself...

newmousie%20005.jpg

normal_newmousie%20006.jpg

newmousie%20009.jpg

newmousie%20010.jpg

newmousie%20013.jpg

newmousie%20014.jpg

I think she will be due in about a week. She may trick me though. I am not sure. Any takers on how many babies?:)

I'm not 100% sure she is from the pics, i havehad just fat mice bigger than that, but in with boys, well she must be!such a cutie! I bet 13!

This is a fat mouse, my mouse Irma.....

normal_bunsandmice%20019.jpg

She is pregnant, no doubts anymore. I checked her this morning and sheate almost all of the food I gave her last night and has startedtearing up toilet paper and dragging it into a toilet paper tube. Whichmeans....I have to take out her wheel, TP tube, and take out thecurrent bedding and just leave her food, water, igloo, and plainkleenex as bedding.

Anyone taking bets on how many babies she will have?!:sunshine:

I am also going to upload some better pictures of her in a little bit.

I forgot this is a rabbit forum and not a mouse forum, duuh, lol.

The litter sizes can be 1 - 24 babies....with 9 - 12 being the average:).

She is nesting! I wonder how many days it will be until I am a grandma?!?!?

undergunfire wrote:
Anyone taking bets on how many babies she will have?!:sunshine:

I am also going to upload some better pictures of her in a little bit.

ok i bet she will have............... 14! dunno why!

I hope she has more females than males! Malesare harder to place in homes, as they must be housed separate from eachother or they will fight. Females are easier to place as they can behoused with many females.

I checked on her this morning, gave her more food and a puppy milkbuiscut. Usually she runs out of the nest she made, but this time shejust peered her head out, not leaving the nest.

I hope she is due soon!

I haven't been able to get on much the lastcouple of days, so I'm only catching up on this now. That's so nice ofyou to give her a home, I can't wait for the baby micies!!:colors:

Hmm...I'll guess...10.:)

Will you keep her after the babies are weaned? Will you keep any of the babies!?!

It's okay Michaela....it seems like I haven't been on much this past week as well!

Yes, I will keep her and a couple of her female babies. I am alreadyposting adds online to try to get homes lined up, even though it willbe 5-6 weeks before they can go home as they aren't born yet and needto be weaned.

There was a gorgeous long haired mouse in the tank with her, I amhoping he is the daddy so I may have a chance at long haired mice!

Maybe my dream mouse will pop out.....a silver satin texel?:inlove:

I am going to name her tonight. I have to start thinking! I want herand her babies to have a theme. Like a candy name theme, movie nametheme, ect. Do you know what I mean? lol

Wow!! She's such a cutie-pie!!! :D

I can't wait to hear how many babies and what they look like, etc.!! How exciting!!

I bet.....um....12. :D

:inlove:

It's very exciting!

I just went in and checked on her and she is still nesting like crazy.She even stretched out and I could see a clear baby belly and the areawhere her nipples are are showing!

WOOOOOO! I can't wait for babies! I hope she is a good mommy and takes good care of them.

Back