I am furious (rabbit at country fair)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slavetoabunny wrote:
Thank you to EVERYONE for discussing this topic in an adult and rational manner. It is certainly something that should be discussed. No matter if you are a pet owner, breeder, rescuer, whatever...I think we all want the same outcome....the humane treatment of the furry ones.

I absolutely have to agree with this. Many great points, emotions, support on opposing sidesand discussions have been brought up.

I'd really have to read back through everything before adding more but I'd like to comment further once I've read through everything again.

This thread alone shows how wonderful the forum really is.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh, I'm sure ARBA has treatment rules and I'm sure that any 4H organization has rules as well.

ARBA doesn't have a list of regulations because animal welfare is regulated at the federal, state and local government levels.

It is the responsibility of the show sponsor to be certain that their show is complying with AWA regulations as well as with any state and local regulations.

At a fair, it is the responsibility of the barn superintendent to be certain the rabbits are being properly cared for and to be certain that any injured animals are promptly attended to.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh, I'm sure ARBA has treatment rules and I'm sure that any 4H organization has rules as well.

ARBA doesn't have a list of regulations because animal welfare is regulated at the federal, state and local government levels.

It is the responsibility of the show sponsor to be certain that their show is complying with AWA regulations as well as with any state and local regulations.

At a fair, it is the responsibility of the barn superintendent to be certain the rabbits are being properly cared for and to be certain that any injured animals are promptly attended to.

Pam

There ya go! I always thought the rules were "written" by the organizations like the horse association. They just repeat them probably.

Does ARBA have any type of "suspension" or anything if someone does something wrong?

Thanks pam!

Bo B Bunny wrote:

There ya go! I always thought the rules were "written" by the organizations like the horse association. They just repeat them probably.

Does ARBA have any type of "suspension" or anything if someone does something wrong?

Thanks pam!

ARBA suspended memberships generally involve cases where an individual has committed a crime such as embezzlement against ARBA or an associate club.

Violations of animal welfare would be handled by the local authorities. There are many instances where ARBA would not be aware of the individuals that had been prosecuted.

Pam

So if a bunny was not treated well and authorities were called during a show, would that be it? or could they lose their membership?

I'm just curious as to how that works.... since it's been brought up.

Just wanted to say...we should never assume.

Or, I could give a big :yeahthat: to Pam.

So.

:yeahthat:

Also, a :yeahthat: to saying that Randy's intentions of improving the conditions at the fair are admirable. I agree completely.

Ivory wrote:
Just wanted to say...we should never assume.

Have you ever heard that saying, "never assume, because when you assume you make an ass out of u and me.:biggrin2: (Yes I am sad:embarrassed::whistling)

Well done to everyone for debating on this thread so rationally and politely. Many things in the rabbiting world and it's differentopinions on them (eg breeder, rescue, pet owner) can often make debates on the subject become heated -because as rabbit lovers we hate so see any of our furry friends suffering. Therefore well done to you guys for keeping it nice!:thumbup

LOL That is EXACTLY what I was thinking as I was typing that, I just didn't know if I was allowed to say it...

Bo B Bunny wrote:
So if a bunny was not treated well and authorities were called during a show, would that be it? or could they lose their membership?

I'm just curious as to how that works.... since it's been brought up.

The show committeemay ban them from showing in thefuture.

A complaint can be filed against an exhibitor through ARBA, butabuse/nelgect cases aredealth with by the local authorities. The person would have to actually be convicted before ARBA would consider taking any action.

Pam

Since we are speaking of treatment of rabbits at Fairs..I have a question...a situation that saddened and angered me...

This past August I visited out annual County Fair. I of course went right over to the bunny displays.

There were three pregnant does. One of which was scrapping at her EMPTY food bowl. THis upset me so I went on to see the other buns. I noticed that many of them had empty bowls. THis was about 3 or 4:eek:o in the afternoon. Curious, I went to the lady in charge of the area at the time. I told her about the doe and other buns looking for food. She nastily replied with, they get food in the morning, when it's done, it's done.

I was soooo sad. But not being a breeder, or having knowledge of breeder show rabbits, I thought that maybe that was normal for this type of thing.

Comments???

It made me think...Am I feeding too much? I feed Bob and Zosia in the a.m. and p.m.

Yep, they are limited a lot. We aren't allowed litterboxes or hay in our barn. A friend of mine gives her bunnies 1/4 cup of pellets each day and that's it.

To me, it's wrong...... they are naturally grazing animals. They need that and the hay helps their teeth.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Yep, they are limited a lot. We aren't allowed litterboxes or hay in our barn. A friend of mine gives her bunnies 1/4 cup of pellets each day and that's it.

To me, it's wrong...... they are naturally grazing animals. They need that and the hay helps their teeth.
Hmmm.... I can kinda see no hay, it would make a mess on the floor, but why no litterboxes? I don't understand that one.

Is it no litter boxes b/c it could make a mess of their bottoms??

And why no hay?

I am glad I asked. I feel better. But I agree, they are grazing animals....and if they are searching for food, especially a pregnant doe, shouldn't they get food?

But I also understand that weight is an issue....

The general rule of thumb with pellet food is to give 1/4c per 5lbs of bun. (See this article that puts it by age.) I also feed my babies once per day (I actually feed them before going to bed at night, since they all seem to prefer eating their food at night), and have people that come over letting me know their food bowl is empty.

Most people think free-feeding ANY animal is okay, and the norm..whereas it's quite the opposite. And I know that Trixie, in particular, will sit there and GRUMP at me in the middle of the day (HOURS from feeding time) that her food bowl is empty, and Flower will give me a look like she'll simpy perish if I don't give her more...when I know they get PLENTY of food. Hehe!!

Also, it notes in the PIN: The Bunny - From Conception to Weaning and Breeding Basics thread that it says not to change the amount a pregnant doe eats.

As far as not giving hay, I don't understand that...but it could be that I'm missing some form of data.

And as far as not having litterboxes...it's just easier for some breeders not to have them, but rather to have wire floors so that the urine and feces drop below, and they just have to clean the pan underneath. I mean, consider having 100+ rabbits, and thus having that many (or more, depending on the bun) litterboxes to clean at least every other day! That gets CRAZY!! And, as far as I know, most breeders have more than 100 buns at any given time...so it's worth anything they can find to make their lives a little easier.

Also, I've found with breeders I know that if they have a bun that's "pet quality" (in other words has this or that quality that just won't allow it to be qualified for showing), they'll start to litter train the bun so you won't have to do as much.

Anyway, just some things I've picked up on. Feel free, breeder extraordinaires, to correct any of my post...I think it's really neat, learning about the different sides to bunny slaveness. :D

Hugs!

Rosie*

I don't understand the county rules but maybe it's just they don't want the mess.

I'm not happy that Tony won't have his litterbox during fair - he's EXCELLENT about his potty!

Are other animals (large ones) kept in stalls without food at agricultural fairs where you are? The rationale behind "no hay" seems completely crazy to me. I can't imagine anyone keeping hay from horses and ponies that are being shown.

You know, maybe it's just at the fair, and when the bunnies go back to the barn they're allowed hay and stuff. That's how some of the breeders around here work- they don't give hay for the fair etc. but they give them hay when they go back to the barn on a regular basis.

Some of them just give a hay cube in the morning and put it in the dish, too. I know of one who does that.

Thanks for those links, Maher. I need to cut down on the pellets, I think. I don't fill the pellet bowleveryday. But I don't measure either....

I think I am OK on the veggies and lettuce...

Latest posts

Back