I am furious (rabbit at country fair)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ra7751

Reaction score
Hi All,

It is vent time for me. But I think there is a lesson here for us all since we are all dedicated rabbit slaves.

I went to opening day at the NC State Fair yesterday. Last year we had a nasty incident with one of the "old school" breeders (and I am not anti-breeder....I am pro-rabbit) in which one of her Belgian Hares was severely injured and she left the rabbit at the rabbit prison there at the fair. Well, since most of the breeders at this fair areone little group and this particular person knew I would be at the fair and would be watching...I did not expect a problem this year....but I was wrong.

I had not been in the rabbit prison for long when I noticed a little rex that didn't look right. I had to take a closer look. In wildlife, we are trained to watch for posturing to make sure a released animal is OK..and the same applies for our rabbits. This rabbit was sitting upright on it's rear end with both rear legs extended forward. When I approached, the rabbit didn't move. The look in his face told me he was in pain. I reached underneath to touch him and when he moved...his rear legs dragged behind him. He had broken his back and the owner left him on display for everyone to see. Of course, most people didn't even notice but I did and went balisitic. I stormed out to get fair officials and I think the person I had the problem with last year saw me. When we returned the injured rabbit had been removed. I didn't see the rabbit leave the fairgrounds with the breeder and I stayed and watched. I suspect he murdered the rabbit right at the fair grounds.

I did speak at length with one of the vets from the state Department of Agriculture which controls the fair. She agreed that the rabbit should not have been on display and should not have been killed on the fairgrounds property. She is willing to support my efforts to institute changes for next year's fair. Right now I am so mad I am having problems writing this. I would have taken that rabbit. And he might have lost his life in the end....but I would not have done it by smashing his head into a wall. So inhumane. I am going to make sure the person that did this pays and pays dearly.

But the moral of my rambling and fuming tirade is to ask all of you tolook carefully when you are atthese fairs and festivals. Speak up if you see a sick or injured animal no matter what the species. They can't speak for themselves....as the ASPCA slogan says....we are their voice.

Randy

You know what, Randy. You need to find who is in charge and find the correct people to do something~!

I had a situation 2 years ago when a CHAMPION bunny on display had such long toenails that she was sitting similar to what you said and her frontpaws were in her water dish. Her nails turned sideways against the crock floor. Her toes were all twisted and I was furious! It was a mini-rex.... so sweet and looked to me as if to say "please help me!"

I even said I would trim her nails if they could get permission from the owner.

Nothing was done. The next day - same thing.

Trust me....I have had e-mails going out all morning to the fair and the Department of Agriculture. What I would like to do is grab that old geezer and slam him against the wall. That wouldn't be a good thing to do obviously but I do feel the need. I did threaten the State Fair with the story going to the news media and with all the stuff going on recently with the Vick dog fighting and animal cruelty case...it would be a black eye for the fair. My offer to the fair, in lieu of the news media, is to implement new guidelines for sick/injured animals (of all species) in which if they become ill or injured on the fairgrounds, the fair vets must be notified. And any animal that is sosick/injured that it must be put down (and honestly,injuries and illnessdohappen but in this case, it's not what happened, it is that the animal was allowed to suffer and theninhumanely murdered at the fair) I am going to suggest a watchdog group...for all species....independent of the breeders. I am also demanding that the breeder be banned from future fairs. He is elderly so I think that I might suggest that he "retire" so that he might retain some dignity if he has any. It is a "good ol' boy" type thing. The vet that responded and I discussed that and she mentioned she was all too well aware of that little group.

Oh Randy, I am so sorry. That is just awful. And I know its much worse for you because you feel like you really could have helped this little one (or at least made an effort to).

Its really disgusting how some people treat animals, and its even worse for us rabbit lovers because they arent given the same respect as cats and dogs, even though we know them to be just as friendly and loving.

I really respect you for trying to make a difference though. I know we cant save them all, but we can try.

:hug:

thank you for sharing this with us... it is reaaly horrible... i am going to our fair this week and will be sure to look in on the animals there...

GOOD - Followup is the key to this sort of thing!

The sheep barn at our fair is all too aware I am there sometimes LOL!

I don't put up with things like "not giving them water so they are tight for the show" - Why don't they just say DEHYDRATE the lambs? and it's not allowed and I literally go tell the foreman and I got water the animal. If the people are caught a second time - they kick them out.

Your venting is welcome here, Randy.

Fairs are BIG here in Lancaster County, PA because it is basically PA's agricultural capitol. I rarely go to them, but may have to now just to check things out. There are big problems in this area with farmers not spaying or neutering cats & dogs, allowing pets and livestock to roam free in streets & roads, and some general disregard for animal dignity. Also, we are known as the "Puppy Mill Capitol". It's all so sad. But thankfully our County Humane League employs two cruelty officers who investigate and prosecute cases of animal cruelty. Sad to say, two is far from enough.

Thanks again for doing all you do to care and speak for those who have no voice to be heard.

-Mary Ellen

That is so sad Randy it really gives breeders a bad name. I think you are right to follow it up what a :soapboxto do that so publicly and even to think he had the right. I hope he gets his rabbits taken off him.

Can i ask though why do you call it rabbit prison?

Polly....believe me, it took a lot for me to call this thing a person. Since this is a family forum, I do my best to respect everyone and sanitize any postings like that. I don't want to drop to his level.

And he does give breeders a bad name. In fact, it was another breeder that ratted him out. I would have seen the rabbit on my own...but another breeder told me specifically to look at this breeder's rabbits.

I have heard back by e-mail from the fair and it was from the president of the fair's office. They do not condone animal cruelty or euthanizing by inhumane methods. The vet I talked to is the animal cruelty investigator for the veterinary division of the state ag dept.

I am not going to drop this issue with the fair. There will be changes implemented or I will go to the news media. And I don't think the State Fair wants that type of publicity.

I still have a headache from this episode....I need drugs.

Randy

I hope you will keep us updated on what happens. There is no way they can let this go.

It just shows you though how badly they re thought of if another breeder said!!!

They must have known someone would spot it though :(I hate to think what this persons rabbitry is like :(

Whoa! This is so upsetting that I had to go secure an alcoholic drink halfway through this thread just to get through it.

Randy, I commend you for not dropping this matter and making people accountable. I know that there have been several times that I have observed a rabbit at a show that appeared sickly and I didn't do anything about it. Just reading this makes me realize that I should speak up for the critters that can't - and our local media thrives on human interest stories like this!

Keep us updated please. I'm sorry your fun day at the fair was tainted by this unfortunate experience.

Poor bunny. You need to hit those people as hard as you can!!!! (you can take this litterally, or metaforically)

I say get as many people into this (meaning SPCA and police, fair officeals) as possible!!!!!!!!!!

That's terrible. I just don't get how inhuman peole can be (or should I say human). :grumpy:people always talk about control animals, and plants, but what we really need to control is our selves!!!

*sniff* This makes me sad, and mad!! :grumpy::bigtears::soapbox :tears2:

Cripes, I hate hearing of such things...but you know Randy, I'm so glad you are ranting about it, because the animal world needs more people like you who will speak up and say something, and will follow it through.

My offer to the fair, in lieu of the news media, is to implement new guidelines for sick/injured animals (of all species) in which if they become ill or injured on the fairgrounds, the fair vets must be notified. And any animal that is so sick/injured that it must be put down (and honestly, injuries and illness do happen but in this case, it's not what happened, it is that the animal was allowed to suffer and then inhumanely murdered at the fair) I am going to suggest a watchdog group...for all species....independent of the breeders.

I really do hope you are successful in your effort to have these guidlines come into effect and enforced. It's comforting to know that someone is ready to fight for the welfare of those who cannot protect themselves...:(

I was so upset about this that I couldn't even post this morning. Best of luck to you, Randy. I hope you can get justice for that poor rabbit.

I always check on the rabbits at the county fair. So does my hubby, as he brings some of his developmentally disabled clients there every year. It's only 4h buns, no shows for adults. Because it's kids, some of the buns run out of water, etc. Usually just one or two kids but all of their rabbits will be out and we'll go around filling up the bowls and making sure the 4h leaders know about it. So far no serious injuries or illnesses although I've wanted to smack a few people around for rabbits with urine burn and a severely matted angora that got a blue (!?!) ribbon. IMO those kids need to go to ARBA shows to see how experienced breeders care for their rabbits.

Binky free little bun. You're in a better place now. :rainbow:

Oh, Randy.... I would be ready to kill [metaphorically speaking] if I'd been in your shoes. Seriously. I so hope that this works out for the good.

As for 4-H in this area (central PA), I so wish they would teach *responsible pet ownership for rabbits and cavies* and quit with the breeding!!! There is no reason for young kids to be breeding anything, IMO - and every reason to educate on rabbit care, behavior and more. (I also get angry at the way in which many kids dump their 4-H "project" rabbits as soon as the area fairs are over.... grr.)

I've tried to talk the local library system into buying better books on rabbit care and behavior, but change happens at a glacial pace. I'm not saying any of this to blame anyone in particular, but.... I have a feeling that there would be zero tolerance if these were baby beeves (beefs?).

The bunnies and cavies deserve as much care and respect - and love - as horses and other large animals.

[Better get out of this thread now...]

Hey EC, as far as libraries just buy books yourself and donate them. I recently found out that the WI HRS is most likely the reason the House Rabbit Handbook is in my library- they donate copies to local libraries.

Great idea, naturestee - thanks! I'll give it a try.

ec wrote
I've tried to talk the local library system into buying better books on rabbit care and behavior, but change happens at a glacial pace.
i used to work at a library, and i know that if you donate a new copy of a book (for instance the house rabbit handbook), they will usually be very happy to put it on the shelf! also the best person to talk to about that is the reference librarian--not the people who check books in and out. those people don't usually have anything to do with deciding what books get bought! (no offense to them, as my mom is one of them!)

edit: naturestee just said exactly what i was saying.

Oh, I've talked to librarians, not circulation desk people. AFAIK, there's no official reference librarian in this system, as it's out in the country and quite small.

But thanks for the suggestions!

Latest posts

Back