How Often Do You Take your Buns To The Vet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine have been in pretty often... first check-up a couple weeks after I got them (around 9-10 weeks), urinalyses at 3 mos ('cause I got paranoid over peeing outside the box and vast differences in their water consumption and they were still really "new" to me), spays at 5 mos and another check-up at about six months old.

the last check-up was because I had a litter of hamster babies and I wanted to get them a well-being check - my vet charges a $58 "multiple pet" exam fee with seemingly no limit on the number of pets o_O! I took in 14 hammies, 2 sugar gliders and 2 bunnies to get them all checked out and it still only cost me $58. from here on out, I'll probably take them (and the rest of my menagerie) in every 6 mos or so just for sh*ts and giggles - it's a small price to pay to make sure everyone is healthy when I can take everyone in at once for so little.

wow, I wish my vet(s) did a multiple pet fee. Just to take my buns in for a check up is $140 ($70 each!) I took them in when I first got them for a check-up, and then for their neuter/spay. Haven't been since because of the cost, but will do every year.

ouch! my vet only charges $45 for one pet. of course, the trade-off is that two spays set me back like $460 by the time they added meds and stuff.

I'd go with once a year at the most if you have no reason to suspect problems at $140 a pop.

My vet who is listed on the vet-savvy list was charging me $300+ for one spay and then just slightly less (maybe by $40-$60 less) for the neuter. I ended up going to a local vet who was well-versed in the neuter/spay of rabbits. We own a dog kennel and work closely with vets and I had no doubt that they would do amazing in her care. But I think I would keep with my rabbit-savvy for the check-ups, although it may be time to look at the list again and try to find another one.

yeah, it certainly doesn't hurt to look around if the prices are so steep. for general check-ups, you really don't need the most savvy vet - just one with enough regular practice with rabbits to spot any major red-flags or to tell if the teeth don't look right. the truly rabbit-savvy vets are more of a necessity if a rabbit is actually sick, since they're more likely to be well-versed in ALL the treatment options.

That makes sense. Thank you. They're both really healthy and eat well and chew on EVERYTHING, so I'm not so worried about their teeth, just like to get a check up once a year

We have been only once. That included a wellness check, neuter, and she said his teeth looked good. They also clipped his nails and all total was right around $130.00 with meds.
My 'rabbit savvy vet' as you put it, who is the vet for my birds, wanted to charge $350.00 plus for the neuter.
How often should we get his teeth checked?
What else should they check if he is not around another rabbit?
Thanks for the replies.

I'd say mine go in about every year although now I can get them free wellness exams (done by my fellow student doctors) every 6 months. I also practice my physical exam techniques on them pretty regularly.

My 2 healthy buns go 1x a year for a check up. My vet gives them a good look-see, asks questions about their general behavior, diet, activities. Easy peasy. Unless you see an issue once a year is enough. And with unlimited hay to munch the teeth should be fine, if your bun has no history of teeth issues.

Freckles is another story, but he is not a healthy bunny.

Last edited:
My bunnies go twice a year for check ups, they go for their jabs once a year and at the same time they get a check up, and my vet gives free check ups to all rabbits the week before Easter so they go to that too :)

How often should we get his teeth checked?
tooth problems are generally symptomatic (not eating as much, not eating certain things, GI stasis, a runny/watery eye, anything like that can be a symptom of tooth problems or an abscess), so for a bunny with no symptoms and no prior history of tooth problems, I would think once a year would be plenty.

What do you mean by "jabs once a year"?
Thanks everyone.

vaccinations, I assume - there's a couple that bunnies get in the UK, which aren't available in the US ;)

Sparky has to have her molars trimmed on a regular basis, so she is at the vet every six weeks. The other buns, I don't take in unless they are exhibiting problems.

Mine only go in if there's a problem.
However I do have our rabbit rescue trim their nails every few months. When they trim, they also do routine look over of ears, teeth, scent glands and overall appearance.

Do scent glands get plugged up or something? I am learning so much, thanks again!

Latest posts

Back