How Often Do You Take your Buns To The Vet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
every 6 mos? that's kind of a pain, especially for people who live in areas where vets are really expensive or hard to come by. I would've thought the vaccines would last longer.

My rabbits went in a few months after I got them for a check up before their spays. They then went in a couple of weeks later for their spays, but Shiny Things had a feaver that day. The vet did this test that cost over $100 and did not figure out what was wrong. They then did surgery on her nose to lance an abscess. I had to take her back about a month after that for her spay. Their spays costs $400 each, even though I had been quoted $200 each over the phone. All in all I probably spent over $1000 to get them healthy enough to get spayed and then spayed. They have not been back since. (It has been less than 6 months since the spays). They will probably only go back to a vet for something major. My parents do not believe in taking any animal besides a dog, cat or horse to the vet. I had to pay for my rabbits spays out of my savings account (and I do not have a job).

every 6 mos? that's kind of a pain, especially for people who live in areas where vets are really expensive or hard to come by. I would've thought the vaccines would last longer.

I think we have a much higher density of vets in the UK, so we don't tend to have to the problems with access I hear US members have with having to travel hours to reach a vet. I live in a town pop 30,000 and we have three vet practices in town, or 30+ others within 30 minutes drive! It's a fairly urban area but even in more rural places there is usually a good selection to pick from.

Vaccination is expensive but at least you can plan for it, about £30-£40 ($40-60) per rabbit per year. Myxi in particular is so prevalent because of the wild rabbit population which gets hit every summer, so vacc is really a necessity.

Mine has only been in once for his pre-neuter exam - I've had him for a few months only. I will likely bring him in as needed. I have little faith in vets and going them inevitably confirms what I already know. And if I have no idea, the vet invariably also has no idea, and a regular exam has never yielded anything interesting or unknown. Plus, in these parts, it now costs $90-$150 just for the exam. With three cats, a rabbit, two birds and a lizard it is getting cost prohibitive to bring them in as often as my vet would like (every 6 months!). The cats go in yearly-ish for their exams. Personally, I'd rather save my money and bring them in when necessary and/or splurge on tests that are actually informative every 2-3 years when they get a bit older.

Sorry, I'm jaded :/

I take them in whenever I feel necessary, with the exception of Babbitty, Buttercup and Spyro who go in regularly for varying problems in which they see the vet for.

Babbitty goes in every 3-6 weeks, Buttercup every couple months and Spyro goes every other visit with Babbitty.

I have never taken a rabbit to the vet. If a rabbit isn't acting normal I simply check him over and look at their eyes, ears, and check for gas. I then give them beneback and vitiam water for a few days.

Do scent glands get plugged up or something? I am learning so much, thanks again!

This must be an issue more common in neutered rabbits. We've never had a problem with this with any of our unaltered rabbits, and we're going on 4 years with some of them.

I plan on yearly; however, it seemed like with my last buns we were in there all the time for this or that...always something scaring mommy :blushan:

This must be an issue more common in neutered rabbits. We've never had a problem with this with any of our unaltered rabbits, and we're going on 4 years with some of them.

Some of the unaltered ones we get in (Mostly does, thought) have some very nasty scent glands. I notice even most of our fixed ones are pretty clean too though.

Latest posts

Back