How did you think of your rabbit's name?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were originally going to give Maisie the namePetunia. When we brought her home and mentioned the name, Igot nothing but the grumpiest, most disapproving I have ever seen herhave to date. It was unmistakable that she DID NOT like thename, so we went back to the drawing board, and temporarily called herBunny (which made our kitty Sunny very upset because I call her mybunny).

So, I did some research on names, and thought that the name Pearl wouldbe really suitable since she's a chinchilla color.I just didn't think the name sounded good, and she really didn't seemto take to that, either.

So, in my research, I happened upon the name Maisie, and learned thatit was "pearl" in Gaelic....PERFECT!! I mentioned the name toMaisie, and she did several all-out binkies and ran around in suchhappiness, it was clear she LOVED it! It was almost like shewas excited that I finally figured it out! Hehe!!

As for Flower, I had originally thought that we would name her Pokey(short for "poquito", which translates to "a little bit"...she wasquite small when we brought her home)...she clearly didn't likeit. Not quite the same amount of disapproval as I got fromMaisie for daring to call her Petunia, but still...it wasclear. So we thought about it (I even asked people on here),and I realized that I REALLY wanted to call her Flower, and decidedthat, though I didn't yet know her gender, Flower would be okay for aname because of the fact that Flower in the movie Bambi was aboy. Hehe...she LOVED the name (even BIGGER response thanMaisie gave), and now that we know she's a girl, and see how pretty sheis, it was absolutely perfect! Not to mention, her ratherlarge ears look JUST like little pink flower petals when she has themalert.

I think JimD is quite right...I think they TELL us their names, or atleast wait until we figure it out, and get all happy and excited whenwe do. :) Just a hunch...:)

Edit: I'd like to add their nicknames...I thought JimD had a cute idea.

Flower's nicknames are: Flower Bower, Big Baby Bunners, Hunny Bunny (from the honey-colored stripe down her back)

Maisie's nicknames: Mama Bunny, Mimi (over and over...mimimimimimimimi,in a high voice...she LOVES it!), and Fuffy (though her fur isn'treally fluffy...seems to suit her somehow)

My first bunnies - Mollie (grey) and Bonnie (Ginger)

They were originally called Sugar and Spice at the rescue centre, Butwe had already had a mouse called Spice so we had to changeit. And Sugar didnt suit her at all!

I had always loved the name Mollie, so I gave her that name , and thenBonnie was the closest to Bunnie! I am really useless atanimal names, but all in all it suited her :)

0070-1.jpg

Pepper and Dottie - Pepper (white with black spots) And Dottie (ginger with lots of spots!)

jan11th2005002.jpg

newrabbit006Small.jpg

I got Pepper from a pet store.

In lower school we had rabbits in our classroom and one of them wascalled Pepper, and was white with brown spots and they looked exactlythe same. So as soon as I saw her, I instantly thought ofPepper!

Dottie I got from a Rescue centre. She was already namedDottie. I couldnt really change her name as when you calledfor her, she would come running. But she is rather Dottieanyway! :brat:

Ive always wanted a ginger and white dutch rabbit, and I would call herJingles. That rabbit was always in my dreams as a kid:DIts definetly going to be my next bunny!

Well, back when I was convincing my mom that weneeded a rabbit, we started talking bout names. She decidedon Ms. Whiskers, then once we got Ms. Whiskers, I started calling herFiona, so it became Ms. Fiona Whiskers. Then one day we werewatching white fang, and white fang's little eskimo name is miatuck(sp) so now she's Ms. Fiona Miatuck Whiskers, and oh yeah, when we gether a husbun, he'll name will be Mr. Timothy Hoppytoes, or so my momhas decided.

Originally I wanted to name Oswald after myfavorite literary character, Pangloss from Voltaire's Candide,but that name was quickly shot down by my boyfriend as Pangloss was abit of a pervert and suffered from syphilis. So we were thinking ofother names, and my boyfriend suggested Oswald (for no reason otherthan he liked the name). We tried it and it stuck.

For Alfred (who we got from a shelter and was originally named Hoppity)we wanted something rather British sounding. We decided that the ringsaround his eyes were kind of like monocles, making him quite therefined little chap. He suggested Alfred, and it stuck.

-Amy

Well, my brother thought of our first buns name- Smokey.

Then with Pepsi it was just trial and error. Iorignallywanted to call her Teddy, but it didn't fit her. Then I called herPepper. I still called her Pepper and then Pepsi, I just usually referto her as Pepsi- short, cute form of Pepper :).

With Pebbles it was fluke. I knew I'd like another name that startedwith a P, and was trying to find a cute name. The first day I got herhome- presto! I named her Pebbles :).

well. . .when i got winnie i had no idea what iwas going to name her. . .i was just listing off names while she washopping on my bed and when i said winnie she did a binkie. . .that wasit. then about 2 days later she was chewing on something in my room. ..don't remember what, but anyway, i yelled "winchescha" and it stuck!

herman's name was hard. . .i was going to name him lyric. . .i stillreally like the name. . .but when i got herman he was just so goofy,and my mom and i agreed that we needed a name that fit with winniemore. . .in my mind winnie was kinda an old lady name. . .like meave,herbert, ect. so herman fit perfectly. . .and it still does!

Haley wrote:
Basil...... (pronounced the British way,not American) wasnamed after my grandpa, who was Assyrian.I justlove that name :) His full name is Basil James (James after JamesMarsters, my favBTVS actor).

Now you've roused my curiosity... what is the difference between theamerican pronunciation of Basil and the british one. Here, Basil ispronounced "Bay-zil". Is that the american way? If so, I've beenreading his name wrong all along :D

Ah, I see. So like a sheep, sort of...Baaaa-sil. Do you pronounce the s with a soft sss sound or more of asharp z, just wondering? Because Bay-zil and Baaa-sil are two verydifferent names for me!

yup! Youre all right (this should be in the "diference between" thread!)

When speaking of the spice, Americans say "Bay-zel", whereas the British (and other countries) say "Bah-zel".

I hate the way we say it..Eck! We pronounce all "A"s so hard!

My roommate wanted me to spell his name Bazzel, so people would know, but I refused :)

EDIT: yes, likeBasil Expedition inAustin Powers,good example! Or like his nickname when hes being bad, Basilisk (HarryPotter fans know what this is :))

Hmm it sounds like sill, as in window sill (ledge) (sp) Ba-sill

But I dont know how Americans say window sill!

Hmm i keep saying it out loud now! Now it sounds like ba-s-all!

Dont you hate it when you say something enough it loses its meaning!

:threadhijacked lol

Its the first part that we say different!

We (US) say Bay-sill.....you (UK) say Bah-sill....make sense?

I have a rather funny accent because I've livedso many places, but I often say things like bag and bagel as "bayg" and"Bay-gel" but lots of people call Bagels that here. Oh and rag I say"ray-g" too. Hmmm.

On any note, I love his name. BaaaaSIll. When I say it now, the SI isaccented and up a few notes from the rest. Like AaaaCHOO. BaaaSILL. ha.

Us Aussies are supposed to speak the good Brittspeak (we say mum stead of mom, etc.), but the fact is that we reallylike to shorten everything, so Basil becomes Bazz or Bazza, Sharonbecomes Shazz or Shazza, Darren Dazz Dazza, Mary Mazz Mazza, etc etcetc. So if your bunny were a real true blue ozzie codger he'd beBazza-mate!

:Australia::blueribbon:

By the way, we thought up Thumper (now this isreally embarrassing) all by ourselves and were really proud. You mightsay we had rather an underpriveledged upbringing and neither of us hadever seen Bambi, and so had ABSOLTELY NO IDEA that Thumper was the mostcommon bunny name in the history of bunnies. We thought of it all byourselves in the following way: we'd wanted a pet for ages and werejust stuck finding something the landlord would approve of and finallyhit on rabbits (if the landlord could see what the Thumpster has doneto his wall paper he never would have agreed!). We knew we couldn'tafford one yet so we used to talk about it incessantly to encourageourselves and to get a bit psyched for the big event. We used topretend to have floppy ears (oh my god I can't believe I'm admittingthis) and would say to each other "thump thump thump" to remind eachother that very soon we would be getting our very own bunnikins. Whenwe brought our little munchkin home on the first day it was immediatelyobvious that the little guy had OODLES of character, so we startedthinking of big man macho type names like Boris and Butch and Crusheretc etc. But then, he just had this sweet little look on his face andhusband said "why don't we just call him Thump Thump Thump?", and thenI said, "yeah or maybe Thumpy", and then we both looked at each otherand said at the same time "Thumper!" We were so pleased with ourselves,we'd thought of a completely original name that perfectly suited ourbunny (he really loves to thump, at all times of the day for allreasons) and incorporated our code word for bunny!

It was about a week later that we found out about Bambi...:mad:

Oh well, now you know the story!

Alanna wrote:
Bythe way, we thought up Thumper (now this is really embarrassing) all byourselves and were really proud.
Well...you did!..... and you should be proud of it ;).

Now...about this part:

"We used to pretend to have floppy ears (oh my god Ican't believe I'm admitting this) and would say to each other "thumpthump thump" to remind each other that very soon we would be gettingour very own bunnikins."
:laugh:...Got a video?

Back