How did you think of your rabbit's name?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyjade

Reaction score
This has probably been done before, but Ithought it would be interesting to know how everyone chose theirbunny's name, and if there's a story behind the name. :)

When my bunny Apollo was born, the winter Olympics were on, and theU.S. speed skater champion's name was Apolo Ohno. I know it's amasculine name, but I think it sounds like it can be for a male orfemale. I didn't know if she was a girl or a boy and I wanted her tohave a name right away, and I think it's a cool name. :cool:

I was thinking of naming my rabbit Sophie Elphaba instead, after thewicked witch of the west in the book Wicked, but it didn't fit her. Iwas reading the Da Vinci code at the time, and one of the maincharacter's names is Sophie,and I thought the name was reallyfitting for her. I think she looks like a Sophie. :)andsometimes I call her princess Sophie.:bowSo, how did everyoneelse think of their bunny's names?

:shhhh......shhhhhhhh......
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
.....if you listen real hard.......:expressionless
>
>
>
>
>
>
.....they'll tell you.
:nod

Hmm...

Ringo Starr is a funny thing. Ringo is japanese for apple. I thought itwas funny cause of Gwen Paltrow daughter Apple Martin. Starr is fromanother soap. Its the daughter of one of my fave characters. We weren'tsure if he was a boy or a girl.

Samantha Jane came to us as smokey. I like animals to have names.Samantha is a character on General Hospital. She isacharacter who has gone through alot but keeps going.Whodoesn't give up. That's my Sam. She had a rough start but is still afighter at heart. Jane is from another soap.

Connor Grayson was PandoraGabrielle(two characters in theVampire Chronicles) to ConnorGrayson. For a few days tillwe figureditouthe was Comando Pando.Connor isSuperboy's name and Grayson is the last name to the first Robin nowNightwing Dick Grayson.

Teresa Mekare Teresa is an author who I love.Mekare is a also from the Vampire Chronicles.

Rodney was named by my boyfriend. I hadoriginally named him Floyd after Pink Floyd, but my boyfriend keptcalling him Rodney and the name just stuck.

I named my second bun Layla after the Eric Clapton song.

Mocha was named by my hubby, because she wasmocha-brown and hyper. She was almost named Espresso but itdidn't feel right.

I named Loki. He was originally named Rascal but it didn'tfit him. My other choice was Galileo because of the IndigoGirls song and I'm a science geek, but I thought the trickster godsuited him better and it does.

I named Fey before I even saw her. The guy gave me a quickdescription on the phone and then I just decided that her name was Feybecause she was a sweet, wild, magical thing. I had an imageof her in my head that she completely lived up to. I'mconvinced that she was meant to be with me.

So then Sprite needed a name, and I wanted it to match. I wasthinking of Kodama from Princess Mononoke because she looks a bit likethem, but the name didn't sound right on her. So I named herSprite because she was a tiny little naughty fairy.

Their names were originally Flopsy and Mopsy (hooray for individuality)but their owner didn't even know who was supposed to be who.

For some weird reason all our kids ended up with3 names...even our cats. Usually the name is based on thecircumstances surrounding their arrival or the date or theirpersonality etc...

Our 2 bunn girls were named Pat and Jose by the twits at thepetstore!:? They were renamed Peppers Poffenberry Lallowe'enand Skittles Sukeyface Lallowe'en. Peppers cause she isfeisty and opinionated, Poffenberry cause she is a puffball!Skittles is skittish and is a champion pouter at the best of times...soSukeyface (Sue-Key), and they were brought home on Hallowe'en night soLallowe'en!

Our next bunn we got from the Humane Society, a male Lop namedBubble. He was renamed Solembum Smudgenstump Garfunkel.Solembum cause a) it is a character I love in a book...and b) he was aVERY solemn little bunn for the first little while. I do alotof art and I use a smudging stump, he had all these beautiful two tonesmudges all over!! And we played him our Simon and GarfunkelCD so he didn't get lonely since he was housed alone in another roomtill he was neutered.

Our 4th bunn was a Humane Society bunn too. His name wasorigionally Barney. He was renamed Dandelion HarlequinDaVinci. Hubby had just finished Watership Down so he decidedon Dandelion. And he is a Harlequin lop. And sincewe had just seen the Da Vinci Code the night before and he is allsplotchy like a piece of art!

Our 5th bunn we are still trying to decide if we should alter his namesince he was adopted from an RO member, but we feel like he is left outwith just one name...so that is still up for discussion! :D

Misty was originally called "Tiger" at theHumane Society. I contemplated changing it toTigerlilly. Called her that in my head for a couple days, butalso wanted to call her something to reflect her pretty grey and pinkcoloring when she was a baby. So I came up with Misty and itsuit her more.

Cookie we originally called him Stewart (the vet still calls himthis!), but my mom kept calling him Cookie cause she didn't like thename Stewart. Then he started responding to Cookie because mymom called him that so often - so it just stuck.

Charlie we wanted to name after a moutineer, an Explorer or a famousAviator. When we got him he was all about climbing andexploring and had airplane ears. Neil wanted Edmund - but Ionce dated a guy named Edmund :disgust:. So we went withCharlie after Charles Lindberg.

I like human names so i was looking for a nicenormal simple little name that would be nice but sound a bit odd on abunny. I came up with William in the car on the way home fromt herescue and it stuck. Plus my friends like to make rude statements aboutme stroking my "William". I'm definatley gonna name my next rabbitsomething nice and traditionally english, like a Victorian name.

I found out Fanny is a victorian name, how cute, Fanny and William. Put the two together :p

pinksalamander wrote:
I like human names so i was looking for a nice normal simplelittle name that would be nice but sound a bit odd on a bunny. I cameup with William in the car on the way home fromt he rescue and itstuck. Plus my friends like to make rude statements about me strokingmy "William". I'm definatley gonna name my next rabbit something niceand traditionally english, like a Victorian name.

I found out Fanny is a victorian name, how cute, Fanny and William. Put the two together :p
I LOVE IT!!!! OH MY GOD I LOVE IT!!!

Benji[/b] -Benji was our first bunnie. He had a variety of names before “Benji”stuck. One of the few was “Ashe”, because he’s black withgrey-bottomed-feet and it looks like he ran through ashes. Ashe is alsothe main character in “The Crow: City OfAngels”.Nicknames: Big Guy, Radar, CNN, Chet

Brindle[/b] – Was a little fluffof white fur with brindle colored spots. I think she was named beforewe got back to the car to take her home.Nicknames: Baby-gurl, Brinz

Chippy[/b] – We got Chippy notlong after my Mother-in-law passed away….her nickname was Chippy.Nicknames: Chipster, Chipper/shredder,Bouncie

S’more[/b] – We kept her name fromthe shelter…and she looks a bit like a s’more, too. Nicknames: Mommy,Squeakie.

MooShu[/b] – She’s S’more’s babyand came home from the shelter with her. We got her name from the movie” Mulan”. MooShu was the little dragoon in the movie. Nicknames: Moosh,Baby Moosh

Rosie-roo B. Jones[/b] – The“Rosie” part was picked by my daughter and came from a character in ByeBye Birdie. Carolyn added the “-roo” and made it so much cuter. “B.Jones” is in honor of Buck Jones who, with the help of The Missus,rescued Rosie after she had been abandoned at a gas station in themiddle of winter. Nickname: Sweet-ums
Read about our adventure
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=6104&forum_id=6

Binkie[/b] – Binkie was the firstname that came to mind and it stuck….it suitsher.Nicknames:Binx, Binker-butt, Chainsaw

Tootsie[/b] – We kept her namefrom the shelter. She’s a NZ black and kind of looks like a bigtootsie-roll. Nicknames: Toot-sweet,Big BlackBunnie.

JadeIcing wrote:
pinksalamander wrote:
I likehuman names so i was looking for a nice normal simple little name thatwould be nice but sound a bit odd on a bunny. I came up with William inthe car on the way home fromt he rescue and it stuck. Plus my friendslike to make rude statements about me stroking my "William". I'mdefinatley gonna name my next rabbit something nice and traditionallyenglish, like a Victorian name.

I LOVE IT!!!! OH MY GOD I LOVE IT!!!

Haha, i was worried people wouldn't get it..

"Have you been playing with your Willy, Fran?"

I couldn't seriously name my other bunny Fanny.. too far. I might name is Rosie or Polly :)

When my roomate and I rescued Loki, the lady whogave him to us had named him Reese because his color is reminiscent ofa Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I really didn't like that name and hedidn't answer to it so I figured it was ok to change it. We wentthrough names like Jack Daniels, Apollo, and Agamemnon. None of themseemed to fit him very well. I don't remember if my roomate or Isuggested Loki and it just fit. He is such a little hellion sometimesthat it was just perfect. He's our little trickster god. His middlename came about from one of my good friend deciding that Loki told himhis real name was Spencer. He still calls him Spencer whenever he asksabout him so we decided to make Spencer his middle name. I don't thinkhis last name needs and explanation: Skywalker.

t. and Loki Spencer Skywalker.

This is a cute thread!

Basil...... (pronounced the British way,not American) wasnamed after my grandpa, who was Assyrian.I justlove that name :) His full name is Basil James (James after JamesMarsters, my favBTVS actor).

Max....... or Maxwell Alexander, just fit his personality (I wanted toname him Xander, but, alas, it was already takenby my dad'scat..so itshis middle name).

Mr. Tumnus...We had trouble naming him at first. He's so darn cute andcuddly, but very fiesty and spunky at the same time. Itriedcalling himBenjamin, Chauncey and Hamilton (can you tell Im aDetroit Pistons fan?), but none of those seemed right. My boyfriendsaid we should name him Tumnus, after the Narnia character. It seemedfitting, since hefound him in the woods..so it stuck. Hisfull name is Mr. Benjamin Tumnus..but I just call him Tummy for short:)

Mocha: Mocha was my very first bunny. Hewas the oddball in his litter being the only brown one. Initially Itried Misty, but was unsure if he was a male or female at the time so Ichanged it to Oddball but it didn't fit so I tried Caramel but thatdidn't fit either. So finally I decided on Mocha because he is a coffeeand milk color. At the time I was not aware of how common of a name itwas.

Spice: He was named by my friend. In his litter there were 2identically marked chocolate harlequins that could nto be told apartbesides the fact that one was a boy and one was not. So they were namedSugar & Spice. It fits him well so I never changed his name andit's not that common of a name.

Zoey: I was looking for a name that fit in withtherest that didn't have to do with food. I also did not want a name thatstarted with either an 's' or and 'm' because of the other bunnies'names. But I wanted a short and simple name that my parents couldremember and that the vet clinic and what not could actually spellright. At the same time, I wanted a thoroughly girly name because of myother 2 boys. Along came this short and sweet name, Zoey. It means lifeand she's full of it! I tried other names but none seemed as good asZoey so it eventually just stuck.

Ruby - I called her Ruby because when I went topick the bunsup from their breedermy aunty cameaswell in her car so she could bring their new hutch home and she had anew Ruby ring, so we thought we'd call one Ruby!

Millie- I don't know why really, it just suited her and went well with Ruby!:D

"Her name was Lola ..." Barry Manilow'sGrammy hit song, "Copacabana" wasPebblesfirst name, from thestaffat the
Vet Clinic. :trio

Pebbles was only 5 months old at that time.:stork:
My wife didn't likeLolabecause it meant "old"in Chinese.

I liked the name Cocofromthe colourofherfurbut ourfriends bunny was already called Cocoa.:bump

So for several days Pebbles was nameless. :ponder:

Wethought ofPebbleswhenIsaw Bam Bam andPebbles from the Flintstonescartoon becausethecute baby girlhadbigbeautiful eyes. Pebbles has beautifuleyes. :hearts:

During that time,Pebbles kept pooping all over the place.
She kept leaving us those little hints....:stikpoke
Duh, we finally picked up on it. ;)

Pebblesname was soappropriate.:brown-bunny...:sweep..

20543.jpg

Rainbows! :D

Dodge had no name when I got her, but she wouldalways dodge me when I went to pick her up so that became her name.Also that that time I was mad about Dodge Vipers so her full name isDodge Fluffbutt Viper :bunnybutt:

BunBun is called that because...well...because I havn't actually got a name for him really :?. I am hopeless at naming rabbits.

Latest posts

Back