Hot Weather

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi All I hope you are all well and your bunnies too. Here in the U.K. we are experiencing very hot weather which is great for some but not our rabbits. I wondered how any of you keep your rabbits cooled to avoid heatstroke. I use a tepid water spray which is like a miss which I will gently spry above her so it lands on her ears. But it’s a potential killer this heat.

I have been freezing water bottles one, for them to drink out of as it thaws and another in the cage that they can lie beside. Also have added tiles and they seem to be a big hit!

I thought some rays of sun through the drizzling rain constitute a british heat wave, at least at which rate my irish colleagues tend to turn lobster red in the sun led to that assumption :D ;)

Outdoors, I think something cool, hard to rest upon in a well shaded place is always good. A slab of stone, tile or concrete is well liked. Also places in perpetual shadow where they can dig shallow pits to cool their bellies.
Depending on the setup, an insulated roof does a lot - if it's just one layer it gets hot and radiats heat down, two layers with an air gap and/or insulation in between really make a difference.
My house rabbits have access to the garden but spend most of the hot hours inside, in a cool place on hard vinyl floor, it's an old house without basement so the floors are pretty cool.

I'm not around to wet their ears now and then, which imo does help them too, so they spend the day outside, there are a lot of cool places in the yard, and they can go down to the creek.

Attachments

• Bach.jpg
    Bach.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2809.JPG
    DSCN2809.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi All I hope you are all well and your bunnies too. Here in the U.K. we are experiencing very hot weather which is great for some but not our rabbits. I wondered how any of you keep your rabbits cooled to avoid heatstroke. I use a tepid water spray which is like a miss which I will gently spry above her so it lands on her ears. But it’s a potential killer this heat.
Cold tiles, frozen water bottles, get their veggies wet, ice cubes in their water putting a LITTLE cold water on their ears.

I think it was Preitler(could have been someone else) in a thread a while back, that showed a platform or a shallow terracotta pot of some sort, put over a rabbit safe cold pack. This gave the bun a cold surface to lay on, and the ice pack kept it cool for longer. I really liked that idea, since we know some buns won't lay next to those frozen water bottles no matter what we try to get them to 'like' it :p

I brought a gel cooling mat off of Amazon (it was £10) my bunnies seem to love it, it isn’t too cold (I put it in the fridge for about 5 mins, but if it feels too cold I put a blanket over it to protect them) I also have a mist spray bottle, and plenty of water bowls to keep them cool! I’ll attach a photo and link of the product for if anyone is interested :) although I would NOT recommend if your bunny is destructive or will potentially eat the mat!! (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Petlicity-...pd_rd_i=B07JW6WF42&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_rp_3_t )

Attachments

• 15AE0122-6AED-44B8-A94F-41879DBC5197.jpeg
    15AE0122-6AED-44B8-A94F-41879DBC5197.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 96211B33-93B3-4359-9BC9-DFFD02F4180B.jpeg
    96211B33-93B3-4359-9BC9-DFFD02F4180B.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 418155DD-7D2F-47E2-A758-6A75756B349A.png
    418155DD-7D2F-47E2-A758-6A75756B349A.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 0
Yesterday it was 112 F here--Our bunnies have their own room indoors. We have a misting system on the patio for the dogs which drops the temperature down to 80 F. Right now the temps are running 10 degrees above normal for this time of year.

We make flower tea, and then freeze it into tea popsicles!!! Our buns love it, and so do we! Just make sure they’re no added ingredients. ☺️☺️

Latest posts

Back