[RIP] Xiao Wu- trying to act normal but not okay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since finding her this morning, Xiao Wu has been lethargic, looking around as if blind, and wobbly. She tries to act normal, but she's barely able to move and cannot see her food at all. We've been administering critical care to her, so she is holding on, but I'm afraid we won't make it to Monday at this rate. I've called every emergency vet in town and none have any that handle exotics, and I don't know what to do.

If anyone recognize these symptoms, please help me figure out a generalized guess as to what is happening to her. I know no one is a vet. And my usual vet isn't open today. We're watching her, and trying to keep her going. But I fear this may be the end. Just a simple idea of what could be wrong will suffice for now.

Symptoms include:
Lethargic
Unable to move properly, wobbly on her feet
Looking around as if blind or confused
Labored breathing
Not using the bathroom, or not able without assistance
Shivering

Several things could cause loss of balance or ataxia symptoms, but not as many will also cause confusion or blindness. If your rabbit is definitely showing this symptom as well, stroke or cardiac event would be the most likely cause (in my opinion). Or possibly ingestion of a toxin. More rarely, a severe vitamin A deficiency could cause blindness and ataxia. There's also having to consider a mass affecting the brain.

I'm very sorry these are all not good possibilities. I really hope you can find an emergency vet to get to. If you can't, if it was me, I'd continue regular critical care feeds, water feeds if needed, assisting with going to the bathroom as needed. I might possibly try baby aspirin as a last ditch effort if a cardiac event seemed the likely cause.

Hoping for the best for you and your bun 🙏

Last edited:
Several things could cause loss of balance or ataxia symptoms, but not as many will also cause confusion or blindness. If your rabbit is definitely showing this symptom as well, stroke or cardiac event would be the most likely cause. Or possibly ingestion of a toxin. More rarely, a severe vitamin A deficiency could cause blindness and ataxia. There's also having to consider a mass affecting the brain.

I'm very sorry these are all not good possibilities. I really hope you can find an emergency vet to get to. If you can't, if it was me, I'd continue regular critical care feeds, water feeds if needed, assisting with going to the bathroom as needed. Possibly try baby aspirin as a last ditch effort if a cardiac event seemed the likely cause.

Hoping for the best for you and your bun 🙏
How extremely stressful.i have read that many essential oils, scentsy wax, fragrance candles can be very harmful to rabbits.
Just a consideration.

Just be aware that I'm only making a guess as to what might be a possible cause, and what I might do if faced with a similar situation. But not actually seeing first hand or having diagnostics to see what's going on internally, I can certainly be wrong as to the cause.

I'll also add, I would make sure to check my rabbits body temp and keep warm if needed, as rabbits tend to get chilled or hypothermic when ill.

Just be aware that I'm only making a guess as to what might be a possible cause, and what I might do if faced with a similar situation. But not actually seeing first hand or having diagnostics to see what's going on internally, I can certainly be wrong as to the cause.

I'll also add, I would make sure to check my rabbits body temp and keep warm if needed, as rabbits tend to get chilled or hypothermic when ill.
Thank you, regardless.

Fortunately, she's more active today. She gained more strength. So here's to hoping she makes it to tomorrow so we can have her vet look her over. She's perked up more since yesterday. Keeping her warm, keeping her fed and hydrated. I even stayed with her all night the night before, keeping her by my side all night as I slept. When I awoke this morning, she was more perky and alert. If this keeps up, she'll be bouncing back to normal in no time.

That's wonderful to hear! Was the vet able to find out what the cause was or what is suspected, if not EC?

Hello ArtistChibi

I´m so happy to know that your sweet little Bonny Xiao Wu is doing better and my heart is so deeply grateful that she´s in the care of such a good Bonny Parent as you.
Lots of prayers coming your way across the Atlantic Ocean from me in Scandinavia!
I am so sorry for your loss … 💙

That's wonderful to hear! Was the vet able to find out what the cause was or what is suspected, if not EC?
He's fearful it is something with her liver, but after checking her just a few minutes ago, everything is soft and spongy, nothing hard like it was yesterday. And she's slowly starting to poop again.

Latest posts

Back