holland lops or lionheads?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacie davis

Reaction score
i’ve had holland lops before, but I ended up getting out of them, and getting lionheads. I now have 2 lionheads, and 1 holland lol that a recently got. I’ve found this new holland lop to be more friendly than both of lionheads. i’m thinking about getting back into just having holland lops now. what do you guys think I should do? does anyone else have experience with both breeds?

“Ended up getting out of them”....what does that mean exactly? I think you should probably not get any more animals if they are so disposable to you.
Also the more time you spend with rabbits, the friendlier they’ll be. If you are only interested in the novelty of a “new” bunny, lose interest and spend less time with them, they will probably become shy around you.
Again, I suggest you not get a pet unless you are prepared to provide a forever home. There are so many animals that people “got out of” dumped or in shelters.

I didn’t “dump them in a shelter” I had 2 that passed away, so I didn’t have rabbits for a while. They’re not “disposable” to me either.

I've had mixes of both breeds and found them both to be really neat family members. All personality aspects are so rabbit dependent, often having nothing to do with breed. Your lion heads may just need more time to grow up and become comfortable with you while the Holly may be naturally calmer just due to who s/he is. Three rabbits is a lot (in my opinion) to bond closely to. The lionheads may have bonded more closely to each other than to you. I would certainly not get more buns until you are happy with the relationship you have with the rabbits you have. How long have you had these three?

Bunnies have different personality. If I would base holland lops personality on my own, I would say they are aggressive, a full blown scaredy-cat and have such a moody temperament sometimes and is a master at social distancing.

I have met many aggressive holland lops and my own was also one of them. But he’s no longer aggressive towards me.

I also have days where I get ignored the whole day just because he’s unhappy with me and will stomp and turn his back on me...

So you can’t really base a bunnies temperament on the breed exactly. But it’s true that some breeds are a bit more docile than other breeds. It all depends on the breeder what they are breeding towards. For example a bunny breed to compete with jumping will have better built for jumping and have more energy than a bunny they are trying to get docile and calm bunnies. But it will still not sure that the kits from them will be getting the right personalities.

So it’s important to pick a bunny from good breeders or you adopt an adult bunny you already know the personality of.

It’s better to build your bond better with your bunnies. My own holland lop can be cuddly and he’s quite docile after a lot of training. I have no longer a bunny growling and screaming at the top of his lungs when I pick him up. Instead he will bunny purr and close his eyes, relaxing so much he feel like a dough.

The difference with building a bond with my bunny and not having his trust is huge ☺️

Myself have the rule to only get another bunny when I have manage to build a good bond and my bunnies have been trained to a certain degree. For example handle being picked up, earn their trust and so on.

I didn’t “dump them in a shelter” I had 2 that passed away, so I didn’t have rabbits for a while. They’re not “disposable” to me either.
That’s good to hear. Your choice of words was a little confusing. If you are going back to only lops, what about the lion heads? I find the best personalities are in the mutts, kind of like dogs too. Maybe you can foster buns in need to explore different personalities. I think a lot of it is the individual bunny and not the breed. Although in my experience smaller breeds tend to be more skittish.

Back