HELP! What is this??? Insect on rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani13563

Reaction score
Very new bunny owner here! I noticed my bunny has some thin hair around the back of his ears, but then I thought that maybe they were small bald spots. Also, as I was taking a picture of the supposed bald spots, a little creature ran right across the spot!!! Luckily the photo was live, so I could take a better look. I killed a little bug that I thought had maybe fallen off of him yesterday as well. Seems too big to be a mite, or maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about. Please help!!! Are they bald spots or is it just the way I was moving his ears? And what is this creature? Now that I think of it, he grooms quite often but I figured it was normal since bunnies are known to be very clean. I’ve had him for almost three days, and I don’t know much about him and his previously situation, or even if he was kept outside or not, so I have no clue what this could be. I appreciate any and all ideas!

Attachments

• 5330520A-5210-4626-89F1-666353005937.jpeg
    5330520A-5210-4626-89F1-666353005937.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 86ED12D9-CB2D-4C56-ABC7-78DF2E560305.jpeg
    86ED12D9-CB2D-4C56-ABC7-78DF2E560305.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    8.1 MB
It's quite big isn't it! Too big to be a mite or a louse I would think. I agree, it could be a flea!

I guess it is a flea then! My other pets haven’t had fleas in years, so I couldn’t exactly remember what they look like. I don’t think he has too many yet, since I searched his whole body and couldn’t find it again. But he is black and it’s harder to spot them. Any at home treatments I can do? I know for dogs that you can put some of the milder essential oils directly on them, or dilute an oil in water and spray it on them. Can I do this with rabbits, or are they too sensitive?

I would think they would be too sensitive for essential oils. Have a chat with your vet, they should be able to recommend a bunny safe product for you! 😊

I guess it is a flea then! My other pets haven’t had fleas in years, so I couldn’t exactly remember what they look like. I don’t think he has too many yet, since I searched his whole body and couldn’t find it again. But he is black and it’s harder to spot them. Any at home treatments I can do? I know for dogs that you can put some of the milder essential oils directly on them, or dilute an oil in water and spray it on them. Can I do this with rabbits, or are they too sensitive?
Click on the link provided by @JBun above. It has details on how to treat rabbits for fleas.

Thank you so much everyone for the advice!!! I think I’m going to start out with a flea comb, and go from there. Luckily, a family friend is a veterinarian and has always given my family really good advice. And thank you, JBun, for the link!

It's also possible it was just a single odd non biting bug that had crawled onto him. If you comb through him carefully and don't see any others or any signs of flea dirt, I wouldn't feel the need to treat anything yet. But I would periodically check him.

But if you're still concerned or do think it is fleas and there are more on him, Revolution(selamectin) dosed at 18mg/kg (the dose needed to effectively treat fleas on rabbits), is one of the better flea treatments for rabbits.

It's also possible it was just a single odd non biting bug that had crawled onto him. If you comb through him carefully and don't see any others or any signs of flea dirt, I wouldn't feel the need to treat anything yet. But I would periodically check him.

But if you're still concerned or do think it is fleas and there are more on him, Revolution(selamectin) dosed at 18mg/kg (the dose needed to effectively treat fleas on rabbits), is one of the better flea treatments for rabbits.
Hopefully it is just a random bug!

I think this is a flea 😂. Found him with a magnifying glass in the exercise pen on the towel we currently use to keep the bunny from eating the carpet. It was already dead. At least I know what he has now. Bunny obviously doesn’t have too many but still some.

Attachments

• 0CDD8DAD-45C1-434D-917C-551A8CFAC230.jpeg
    0CDD8DAD-45C1-434D-917C-551A8CFAC230.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back