Help me pick my first rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for the rescue! You know you'll be saving a life, plus your adoption will give them funds and space to help more buns!

The walmart pellet that the black bunny's owner is talking about is not a very good pellet, so this bunny may have some health problems. She looks a little overweight to me, and I think it would be best to get her spayed to reduce the risk of many kinds of cancer and uterine infections. You're too far from a Humane Society or Rescue, right? Just remember that if you adopt from a rescue/humane society the animal will probably already be spayed/neutered, which can save you $150-$250.

Also, that last bunny is too young to be sold. Few people wean babies before 6 weeks, and in many states it's against the law to sell rabbits under 8 weeks of age.

OH, the last one won't be ready to go home with me for another 4 weeks. That's just how old he is right now.

The rescue bun looks better and better all the time. I wish those people would email me back and let me know when I can come see her.

i dont think the never seeing the vet would bother me so much, my Belle has only seen the vet once when she went in for her spay and she has been healthy otherwise, i only take my guys to the vet when needed.

When i got my Charger i took him to the vet for an initial check up , and then he seen the vet for the nueter but other then that my rabbits will only go to the vet if soemthing is wrong

I'm eliminating number 2, the Powhatan Polish Dwarf, because she's not neutered/spayed.

Still haven't heard back from the other buns' owners. : /

EDIT: Okay, here is my list. Basically, it's between these two, as well as a buns from a rescue nearby.

Rabbit Choices:

Richmond (where I am)--Holland Lop “Emma” $20 w/cage--4.5 months-- Pet owner w/ another bunny

3956550829_f3566f73a8.jpg

Lanexa (33 mi)-- Dutch/Lionhead/Lop-eared mix--3 months old-- Farm rescue

3961705112_706f96169a_m.jpg

Daffy is not and will not be spayed, he is coming from a breeder that sells her stock as breeders and show which means NO they will not be spayed so eliminate him/
eliminate the black holland lop as well as that one is also coming from a breeder that sells UNFIXED rabbits with breeding rights.
Eliminate the siamese dwarfs as i contacted them and there rabbits arnt spayed or neutered.
And i dont know anything about the top 2, i doubt they are spayed/neutered either.

Good luck on your choice...I am sure what is meant to be will work out...

I think you should follow your gut...go with which bun feels right for you and try to make an informed decision about what your getting into...fixed/not fixed , problems/no problems etc...

Did one...any of them...hit a spot with you..that..."oh" spot...? If not...maybe none of these guys are meant to be for you...

(I have the personal desire you save that sweet looking little girl...lol)

If you don't get her...let me know...I might consider a trip to VA to check her out....

i can almost bet money that both of the other 2 are not fixed, unless there ads said so, the people would definitely include that the bunny is spayed if it were to let the person know becouse that is very important so if they didn't say they were then you can bet they arnt.

LovableLops wrote:
i can almost bet money that both of the other 2 are not fixed, unless there ads said so, the people would definitely include that the bunny is spayed if it were to let the person know becouse that is very important so if they didn't say they were then you can bet they arnt.
True..but..our soon to be new bun is not fixed, and she is going tomorrow to be spayed ..no cost to me. I just pay the adopt fee. If someone is not fixed, it doesn't mean they aren't on their way to be...asking is the only way to know...

yeah but the thing is, no one is going to put $150-$40 into a bunny then just give it away or sell cheap.
She will have WAY more luck finding a bunny she really likes then waiting to see how him/her turns out temperment wise and if need be, find a cheap place and get him/her fixed. it would be worth getting a bunny she really likes instead of just any that is fixed.

It's hard to find a rabbit that's fixed unless it's from a rescue. I went through something similar recently. I was hoping to find a neutered male in my area, but ended up driving a good distance to get one from a rescue. He was worth it though.

LovableLops wrote:
yeah but the thing is, no one is going to put $150-$40 into a bunny then just give it away or sell cheap.
She will have WAY more luck finding a bunny she really likes then waiting to see how him/her turns out temperment wise and if need be, find a cheap place and get him/her fixed. it would be worth getting a bunny she really likes instead of just any that is fixed.

I don't think she should get just any old bun...my last post said...

"Good luck on your choice...I am sure what is meant to be will work out...

I think you should follow your gut...go with which bun feels right for you and try to make an informed decision about what your getting into...fixed/not fixed , problems/no problems etc...

Did one...any of them...hit a spot with you..that..."oh" spot...? If not...maybe none of these guys are meant to be for you..."
"

ok, i know most breeds that have on there site "babies have breeding rights" and "good breeding buck/does available" means they are NOT fixed.

kahlin wrote:
It's hard to find a rabbit that's fixed unless it's from a rescue. I went through something similar recently. I was hoping to find a neutered male in my area, but ended up driving a good distance to get one from a rescue. He was worth it though.

Even though Simon was pet store...I went with a male because I knew the cost had to be cheaper even if I didn't know what I was looking at.

I called 4-5 Vets before I settled on 1...and it cost me about $100.00. More than some, less than others..

There are those bun owners out there getting rid of them for what ever reason and they have had the animal fixed as well. It turns into a crap shoot of whats up, where you are..time of year....hell wait for Easter and I am sure you will have a WORLD of choices....I don't much care for Easter cause of that...

I was able to find a bonded pair with both bunnies fixed, so it is possible....BUT, I was looking for a single bun to bond to my existing bun.

It was hard to pass them up though, because they were lops.

kahlin wrote:
I was able to find a bonded pair with both bunnies fixed, so it is possible....BUT, I was looking for a single bun to bond to my existing bun.

It was hard to pass them up though, because they were lops.
:inlove: I feel the same!! But then Lionheads get to me tooooooin the worst way!!!

OMG I didn't say rabbits from breeders come neutered/spayed I'm just saying just because they have them up with breeding rights doesn't mean you can't get them neutered or spayed.

Technically there is no such thing as giving someone breeding rights in the rabbit world. If the rabbit is going to someone who is going to breed they get a pedigree. If the person says they are going to keep it as a pet and ends up breeding it there is no way the breeder can do anything.

yes i understand that, what i am saying is that breeders dont usually get there litters spayed/neutered before selling them to homes because they usually sell them WITH pedigrees which then most of them are used as breeders. thats what im trying to say.

if Hap was going to get one from a breeder there is a 99% chance then they wouldnt be spayed or neutered.

Latest posts

Back