Help me pick my first rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LovableLops wrote:
here you go.
Theses i dont think are too far form you. Take a look.
http://www.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?pet.Animal=Rabbit&pet.Breed=&pet.Age=&pet.Size=&pet.Sex=&location=22554

these are form shelters (of course) and most all of them are fixed!:bunnydance:which is good for you

Woo hoo! Thanks!

I looked through the list and discovered the incredible cute ball of fur that is the Dwarf Hotot! Even though my cage is small, I think a dwarf Hotot would be really happy in it! I emailed a few shelters to see if they still have the Dwarf Hotots they listed on Petfinder. We'll just have to wait and see.

****, they're adorable. :inlove:

Sooo, I finally found a couple of Dwarf Hotot breeders (the ones on Petfinder weren't purebred and had $100+ adoption fees, yikes!) and I've contacted them.

I also did some research on the cost of spaying/neutering in my area, and since I'm a full-time college student, I can have it done on my bun for free (huzzah!)!

So now all that's left is the waiting.

Jesus, those little guys are too cute. And they can entertain themselves (which is good for when I'm in class, hooray!) and they looove people. And they're tiny. Oh, and did I mention that they're adorable and compact?!

I'm in love!

:bunnydance::inlove:

happatk wrote:
Sooo, I finally found a couple of Dwarf Hotot breeders (the ones on Petfinder weren't purebred and had $100+ adoption fees, yikes!) and I've contacted them.

I also did some research on the cost of spaying/neutering in my area, and since I'm a full-time college student, I can have it done on my bun for free (huzzah!)!

So now all that's left is the waiting.

Jesus, those little guys are too cute. And they can entertain themselves (which is good for when I'm in class, hooray!) and they looove people. And they're tiny. Oh, and did I mention that they're adorable and compact?!

I'm in love!

:bunnydance::inlove:
I have 2 a buck and a doe...they r wonderfull. My buck Miles is the sweetheart, loves to cuddle and my Does Milly is the energetic one but loves to ride on my shoulder, that is her "spot" I go for walks with the kids and she sits there the whole time....Gud luck u wont regret it.

I personally don't mind paying high adoption fees if the bunny is altered...that way I don't have to deal with stress/worry of post-op care, and I'm giving a homeless bunny a home. But that's just me. I thought I would throw it out there for consideration.

Hubby thinks that breed your looking into is VERY cute, i do too.
Good choice!
were are you getting one from? any luck?

LovableLops wrote:
Hubby thinks that breed your looking into is VERY cute, i do too.
Good choice!
were are you getting one from? any luck?

I'm doing great! I got a speedy reply from a woman in NC about this little girl:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14353769

Here's what she wrote back to me:

[font="Courier New, Courier, monospace"]Cupcake was a left over bunny from Easter. She was probably about 1 month old by Easter. She was found in an aquarium that was way too small for her. She was rescued by a bunny lover once she found room in a rescue.
She is absolutely beautiful in fur and personality.
She weighs 3 pounds and was spayed in August. She is very friendly and runs to the edge of the cage to be petted when I come near. She will practically fall out of the cage to jump into your arms.
Her adoption fee is $ 50.00.
[/font]

She sounds like my dream bun. I'm trying to schedule a time to meet her. :D

I'm just a little worried because she was taken from her mama so young. I hope she doesn't have any health problems.

She will be fine, if she is fine now.
when she went to be spayed the vet does a whole check up on her to make sure she is ok before hand and if she is ok then they will proceed on to do the spaying. so she is fine :)
She is adorable! she acts JUST like my Smudge, he follows me around his cage and practically falls out the door when i open it lol i even have a pic of him doing it this morning waiting for me to feed and play with him on his blog!!
$50 is a good adoption price too!!!

She sounds like a sweetie!!!!:bunnyheart

Wanna meet in chat and talk? i sent you PMs but no reply, i want someone to talk about buns with..
:)

Free speuters? That's amazing! Our Sr. Moderator Pamnock has been quite involved with the dwarf hotot breed. She's been breeding them for quite a while, and I'm sure she can tell you things about personality, things to look out for (as early signs of problems), etc.

LovableLops wrote:
She will be fine, if she is fine now.
when she went to be spayed the vet does a whole check up on her to make sure she is ok before hand and if she is ok then they will proceed on to do the spaying. so she is fine :)
She is adorable! she acts JUST like my Smudge, he follows me around his cage and practically falls out the door when i open it lol i even have a pic of him doing it this morning waiting for me to feed and play with him on his blog!!
$50 is a good adoption price too!!!

She sounds like a sweetie!!!!:bunnyheart

Wanna meet in chat and talk? i sent you PMs but no reply, i want someone to talk about buns with..
:)
You always PM me when I'm in class. -_-* Sorry, but I can't really talk right now. : /

oh its ok, talking with Fancy if you wanna join anytime.
sorry lol i just thought youd have some fun chatting bout your soon to be bunny. im always on if you want to talk.

So anyways, is that the bunny you are going to get? how far is she from you?

She is so cute! and sounds like a real sweetie! I can tell you, not a lot of rescue bunnies are that friendly, so she's a real gem. LoveableLops is right, it's good to ask to see any vet notes from the pre-op consultation. They may have noticed tooth problems, which can be expensive and dangerous to fix, requiring regular molar trims. Hotots are also sometimes prone to something called megacolon, which can lead to some serious digestive upset. Another Sr. Mod, Naturestee, had two hotot sisters, and one of them died as a result of some megacolon issues. Just ask if she eats a lot of hay and has regular poops.

LovableLops wrote:
So anyways, is that the bunny you are going to get? how far is she from you?

Well, she flipping far away (3 hours), but I think she's the perfect bun for me. :D

I emailed her the questions that tonyshuman suggested. Now, I wait. Again.

she will be worth the wait!!!
they always are :nod

Do you have a cage for her? what are you gunna name her?
And if you think of it this way, she is only $50 and then gas will be prolly idk.. $15 or $20 so she was a total of what, $70..AND she is spayed so you are still saving money even though you gotta drive couse you dont have to get you spayed :biggrin2:

happatk wrote:
Hey, could you PM me the info for the free neutering/spaying you found? I live not too far from you, and I have a handful of bunnies that need spayed. I'll probably be in college [hopefully starting next August!] by the time I've finally saved up enough to do them all. :panic:

Best of luck with your new bunny! Sounds like you've found a good match so far. Too bad you weren't looking for a bunny a month ago. I had friends with a litter of Jersey Woolies they were giving away for free! Oh well. :p

Holly

Revverress wrote:
happatk wrote:
Hey, could you PM me the info for the free neutering/spaying you found? I live not too far from you, and I have a handful of bunnies that need spayed. I'll probably be in college [hopefully starting next August!] by the time I've finally saved up enough to do them all. :panic:

Best of luck with your new bunny! Sounds like you've found a good match so far. Too bad you weren't looking for a bunny a month ago. I had friends with a litter of Jersey Woolies they were giving away for free! Oh well. :p

Holly
Just go to the Richmond SPCA. They do it for free, apparently, but I'd call first to make sure. But yeah, that's what their website says.

happatk wrote:
Revverress wrote:
happatk wrote:

Holly
Just go to the Richmond SPCA. They do it for free, apparently, but I'd call first to make sure. But yeah, that's what their website says.

That is something worth remembering...

Back