Help me pick my first rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH! I know I'm spreading myself all over the place, but I found out that a rabbitry in Fredericksburg (one that I've already contacted about HLs) also sells Dwarf Hotots! Woo, that's so much closer than Greensville, NC or any other rabbitry that I've been looking at! Suddenly, Fredericksburg doesn't feel so far away. :bunnydance::pinkbouce::bunnydance:

I finally got a response from the lady with the Dwarf Hotot in Greensville. Here's what she had to say:

I've attached Cupcake's discharge paper from her spay surgery. She was examined before hand. I have a rather large file at the veterinarian. All of the paperwork is all mixed together with my rabbits and the dogs and cats of the non-profit organization that I am the rabbit shelter home for. Be assured that she has been checked by the vet and is healthy. Her poos are of a good size and consistency.
Actually, she came from a healthy beginning. I'm used to getting discarded rabbits that are not healthy and require care to get them adoptable. Many people feel that rabbits can be turned loose and can fend for themselves and that is not true.
Cupcake gets local Timothy hay I purchase by the bale from a feed store, Timothy hay I purchase from the pet store, vegetables donated to the shelter by a local grocery store and many herbs from my own garden. She also has rosemary sticks and grapevines that I harvest from my yard also. She also has pellets. There is always food and hay in her cage and she can eat what she feels like eating. She has a good appetite.
She is a friendly rabbit. She must have had a good experience in the pet shop (even though she was kept in such a small place) because she has a great disposition and enjoys interaction.

The discharge paper she sent me didn't really say anything other than that Cupcake was fixed and didn't need to come back afterwards.

The adoption papers say that the shelter could come anytime to check on Cupcake. Does that mean they're going to drive three hours to CH/Richmond and come into my house? I'm not sure I like that idea.:(

So somthign came up and i guess birdlover is keeping Twinkles so now im out to find me a bunny to. Since you have been looking too can you help me?
can you send me the site to the breeder in Fredericksburg?

or meet me in chat if you ca..im disappointed..i want a nother bunny..

LovableLops wrote:
So somthign came up and i guess birdlover is keeping Twinkles so now im out to find me a bunny to. Since you have been looking too can you help me?
can you send me the site to the breeder in Fredericksburg?

or meet me in chat if you ca..im disappointed..i want a nother bunny..

http://www.geocities.com/dixiebitsrabbitry/DwarfHotots.html

Good luck!

I think what the rescue said about Cupcake sounds good. If she had problems, they would say something on the report. Since she's eating fine and pooping fine, she's in good health. Also, when they do the spay, they usually get a good look at the teeth while the bunny's under anesthesia, so you can rest assured that those are ok right now. They may come do a home visit, but I doubt they'll do more than one, ever.

happatk wrote:
Revverress wrote:
happatk wrote:
I also did some research on the cost of spaying/neutering in my area, and since I'm a full-time college student, I can have it done on my bun for free (huzzah!)!
Hey, could you PM me the info for the free neutering/spaying you found? I live not too far from you, and I have a handful of bunnies that need spayed. I'll probably be in college [hopefully starting next August!] by the time I've finally saved up enough to do them all. :panic:

Best of luck with your new bunny! Sounds like you've found a good match so far. Too bad you weren't looking for a bunny a month ago. I had friends with a litter of Jersey Woolies they were giving away for free! Oh well. :p

Holly
Just go to the Richmond SPCA. They do it for free, apparently, but I'd call first to make sure. But yeah, that's what their website says.

The RSPCA only does cats and dogs... ;) Oh well!

This is the Greenville Dwarf Hotot, Cupcake::
7634i9m_20.jpeg

adorable. there are people in chat talking if you wanna join. juts sayin.

so is that the bun your getting? Cupcake?

happatk wrote:
I finally got a response from the lady with the Dwarf Hotot in Greensville. Here's what she had to say:

I've attached Cupcake's discharge paper from her spay surgery. She was examined before hand. I have a rather large file at the veterinarian. All of the paperwork is all mixed together with my rabbits and the dogs and cats of the non-profit organization that I am the rabbit shelter home for. Be assured that she has been checked by the vet and is healthy. Her poos are of a good size and consistency.
Actually, she came from a healthy beginning. I'm used to getting discarded rabbits that are not healthy and require care to get them adoptable. Many people feel that rabbits can be turned loose and can fend for themselves and that is not true.
Cupcake gets local Timothy hay I purchase by the bale from a feed store, Timothy hay I purchase from the pet store, vegetables donated to the shelter by a local grocery store and many herbs from my own garden. She also has rosemary sticks and grapevines that I harvest from my yard also. She also has pellets. There is always food and hay in her cage and she can eat what she feels like eating. She has a good appetite.
She is a friendly rabbit. She must have had a good experience in the pet shop (even though she was kept in such a small place) because she has a great disposition and enjoys interaction.

The discharge paper she sent me didn't really say anything other than that Cupcake was fixed and didn't need to come back afterwards.

The adoption papers say that the shelter could come anytime to check on Cupcake. Does that mean they're going to drive three hours to CH/Richmond and come into my house? I'm not sure I like that idea.:(

Because of the distance...maybe and maybe not.

The rescue I am dealing with already told me they will do one follow up visit to make sure every thing is cool...no biggie really..

I think they just do that to make sure that they can. My first bunny was from a rescue that said they did that--they never did, never called, etc. I moved and re-contacted them later to let them know how Tony is doing. Another rescue we got Ben from is in Indiana, and obviously they aren't going to do a home visit. The fact that we were willing to travel that far was enough info for them to know we were giving him a good home, plus I also send pics from time to time. I think they put that in there in case they aren't too confident that you have a good environment (at the shelter, if that's the case, we just don't adopt usually), and that if they hear bad things in the future about the bunny, they can come by and check them out before getting animal control officers involved. Honestly, unless you say you might house him outside, you have a big dog that likes to chomp wild rabbits, you sound like you don't know what you're doing OR you change your story--this is important because each person you speak to will write down what they talked to you about--a lot of times we have people say to one volunteer that they want to house the rabbit outside, and then the volunteer says we don't adopt to people who will house it outside, they'll talk to a different volunteer and say absolutely we're going to keep it inside, so they're just changing the story to what they know you want to hear--that's bad.

tonyshuman wrote:
I think they just do that to make sure that they can. My first bunny was from a rescue that said they did that--they never did, never called, etc. I moved and re-contacted them later to let them know how Tony is doing. Another rescue we got Ben from is in Indiana, and obviously they aren't going to do a home visit. The fact that we were willing to travel that far was enough info for them to know we were giving him a good home, plus I also send pics from time to time. I think they put that in there in case they aren't too confident that you have a good environment (at the shelter, if that's the case, we just don't adopt usually), and that if they hear bad things in the future about the bunny, they can come by and check them out before getting animal control officers involved. Honestly, unless you say you might house him outside, you have a big dog that likes to chomp wild rabbits, you sound like you don't know what you're doing OR you change your story--this is important because each person you speak to will write down what they talked to you about--a lot of times we have people say to one volunteer that they want to house the rabbit outside, and then the volunteer says we don't adopt to people who will house it outside, they'll talk to a different volunteer and say absolutely we're going to keep it inside, so they're just changing the story to what they know you want to hear--that's bad.
Okay then. I just thought it was weird that they'd want access to my house. I understand why, but if they don't have confidence in my ability to keep a bunny, they shouldn't let me adopt it in the first place. : P

It just seems so... Big Brother to me. But yeah, I understand.

my parents adopted a dog like 30 minutes away from the shelter and they told them the same thing about the whole checking up on the animal thing. and well they have had the dog for about 3 years and no one has EVER came to check up on him. so...yeah i doubt the really do that.

Back