Help me pick my first rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happatk

Reaction score
Here are my choices with their pictures, how far away they are from me, their breed, their price, their age, and what kind of home they're coming from.

They're all darling, but I need help deciding from people who are more experienced with buns. All of their owners described them as friendly and sweet. : )

I'm looking for a bun that is rather compact in size considering my cage's size (see bottom of http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=50898&forum_id=1&page=2). I'd like he/she to be sweet and enjoy my company and being petted. I have time to let he/she exercise around the hallway outside of my room, which is much bigger than my room. I want to start out with just one bun and work my way up to another.

Rabbit Choices:

Richmond (where I am)--Holland Lop “Emma” $20 w/cage--4.5 months-- Pet owner w/ another bunny

3956550829_f3566f73a8.jpg

Powhatan (30 mi)--Polish Dwarf $20 w/cage --Pet owner w/ another bunny

3956550771_1ecfa299b3.jpg

Lanexa (33 mi)-- Dutch/Lionhead/Lop-eared mix--3 months old-- Farm rescue

3961705112_706f96169a_m.jpg

Farnham (61 mi)-- Dwarf Siamese Rabbits $10

3961705126_37c921d964_m.jpg

Stafford (67 mi)-- Holland Lop $50-- 3 months old-- Rabbitry

3960930995_347e047f06_m.jpg

Crozet (89 mi)-- Lionhead “Daffy” $25-- 4 weeks old--Rabbitry

3961705144_3cd65e14cf_m.jpg

I vote for the lop in the first pic.
1 because she is the closest
2 because she is adorable
3 because she is SUPER ADORABLE
4 because she is a really good price
5 she is a good young age but not to too young
6 her name suits her, she just looks like a Emma
7 did i say she was adorable!

welp, thats my vote :nod

It looks like the poor fella (gal?) is maybe a little bigger than the polish dwarf. The photo next to the book case gives some perspective, 'course you could email the person on craigslist to ask.

I was gonna say the lionhead, Daffy, just based on looks (so not a good way to decide ><;), cause I like when rabbits look silly, but I'm a sucker for sad stories, and would go directly to the poor homeless, noone-loves-him bunny. He's not any special breed or color that makes people want him more. If he was neglected he's probably so starved for love and attention.

PS I just looked at the cage you built and I think it looks fine for any of them or the craigslist rescue.

PPS Who the *()# throws rocks and sticks at a helpless, scared rabbit!

PPPS How do I turn off emoticons? One appears in my post that I didn't put there on purpose.

I'm a sucker for lops, so I'd go with one of them.

Although, to me Emma looks more like a mini lop than a Holland (I'm no expert)...either that or she looks older than 4.5 months (to me). Not that you shouldn't get her, just something I noticed.

My first vote us the homelss bun.

Then I vote for 4 and 6 cause they loook like storm

ALL! No just kidding. I would vote for the first one or the last one based solely on looks. I dont know if its possible or not but maybe you could arrange to meet some of them so you can see whose personality you fit with best. They all look great though. Im sure you will end up with more than one soon...i think most people on here would agree with that :p hehe.

My next bun will be a male lop... preferably a mini-lop as I really like the 6-7 lb range... so I bet you can guess who my vote would be for... Stafford!!! Or Emma, she's darn cute too!

happatk wrote:
Here are my choices with their pictures, how far away they are from me, their breed, their price, their age, and what kind of home they're coming from.

They're all darling, but I need help deciding from people who are more experienced with buns. All of their owners described them as friendly and sweet. : )

I'm looking for a bun that is rather compact in size considering my cage's size (see bottom of http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=50898&forum_id=1&page=2). I'd like he/she to be sweet and enjoy my company and being petted. I have time to let he/she exercise around the hallway outside of my room, which is much bigger than my room. I want to start out with just one bun and work my way up to another.

Rabbit Choices:

Richmond (where I am)--Holland Lop “Emma” $20 w/cage--4.5 months-- Pet owner w/ another bunny

3956550829_f3566f73a8.jpg

Lanexa (33 mi)-- Dutch/Lionhead/Lop-eared mix--3 months old-- Farm rescue

3961705112_706f96169a_m.jpg

Farnham (61 mi)-- Dwarf Siamese Rabbits $10

3961705126_37c921d964_m.jpg

Stafford (67 mi)-- Holland Lop $50-- 3 months old-- Rabbitry

3960930995_347e047f06_m.jpg

Crozet (89 mi)-- Lionhead “Daffy” $25-- 4 weeks old--Rabbitry

3961705144_3cd65e14cf_m.jpg

Did you happen to ask when was the last time any of them saw a vet? Notice the poop at all?What kind of diet they are being fed? Who seemed active, happy and moving around? Did any seem sad, lazy or look dull?

Past that....based soley on looks..well you have to know who I would pick as number one :)

Lanexa - cute as could be...I like like the lionhead personality as well.

Then Stafford...as there is just something sweet in the way he looks...but I am a sucker for floppy ears...

Crozet after that ...

and then Farnham....

happatk wrote:
Oh noes, someone just posted this on Craigslist:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/pet/1395671316.html

That's so sad, poor bunny. I feel like I should take him in, but I dunno if I could care for a potentially ill bunny and I dunno how big he is. :(

Ahh, why can't I live on a farm so I can have them all?!?!

Wow...

Who knows what could be wrong...Would any bun really just sit by and allow himself to get hit with rocks and such...wouldn't he have taken off? Makes me wonder either how ill is he, or if the people from the add own him and don't want him....

Orchid wrote:
Did you happen to ask when was the last time any of them saw a vet? Notice the poop at all?What kind of diet they are being fed? Who seemed active, happy and moving around? Did any seem sad, lazy or look dull?

I was thinking the same thing, so I just sent out an email to each of these bun's respective owners. We'll see what happens.

happatk wrote:
Orchid wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, so I just sent out an email to each of these bun's respective owners. We'll see what happens.

For me personally...any bun that is not coming out of a rescue I would want to take to the vet to have everything checked out. But if someone has been seen, and they will allow you to call and ask after the animal, let you see the records...etc and if nothing else at bare min...I would have them do a fecal float, well if they will without seeing the bun. Some vets will, some won't.

This is based soley on my personal reasons...

Someone I spoke with had said no wonder Simon had issues being of three breeds. Perhaps someone who breeds and knows about those things could give you an idea if Lanexa is prone to issues because she is as well mixed up...I think I will even ask about that.....

It says with her that she is a farm rescue? Has she been spayed then? That will save you a pretty penny as well...

That might something to consider with them as well...who has been fixed and who hasn't. A nueter tends to be cheaper than a spay.

ok i would go with the lops, i too am a sucker for those ears,lol. My first choice would be the black on cause he looks like me Sooty, and i like the first loptoo

I got a response from the owner of #2. I edited it in below.

"she has never been to a vet, she came from a very good breeder i went to she there operation
I feed her premium bunny food a good mix you can buy from walmart
very active up and running around all night long
not fixed no need to if you do not have a male"

happatk wrote:

"she has never been to a vet, she came from a very good breeder i went to she there operation
I have to disagree , as i am sure many here will, it would be very good to get her spayed if you do plan on taking her. getting her spayed will keep her from getting cancer.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
happatk wrote:

I have to disagree , as i am sure many here will, it would be very good to get her spayed if you do plan on taking her. getting her spayed will keep her from getting cancer.
I know, I was thinking the same thing. It also worries me that she's never been to the vet. 0_0

Latest posts

Back