HELP!!!EMERGENCY!!!HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Reaction score
My daughter just called me and said that the petstore down the street from us has a pregnant bunnie. They told her thatshe is due sometime in January, but they can't keep her or the babies.They are not sure what they will do with them, but said they want toget rid of her in the next few days.

Danielle said that she will pay for the bunny ($40), care for it, andmake arrangements to find homes for the babies. She's about a year oldand weighs 10-12 lbs. She was bred 3-4 weeks ago to a gray and whitedwarf (Netherland?).

My heart tells me to go and rescue that bunny as fast as possible.

We already have 5 buns, but there's always room for a few more.

Anybody?????Advice????Comments????

Jim

If you have the resources and are willing to take it then I say go for it!

P.S.- If she was bred 3 or 4 weeks ago, she wont be due in January, more like any day now since gestation is 28-35 days.

my mom called the store and asked about it. i gotbad information... they arent going to get rid of her... but the storeis gross and its no place to have babies... i want to keep her untilshe has her babies and than give them back after words so its no socold when she has them- they keep the rabbits downstairs in thestore... what does everyone think

maybe you should take her and then give the babies to a good shelter, where they care for animals.
Little bunnies and kittens get adopted very fast.

AnnaS wrote:
maybeyou should take her and then give the babies to a good shelter, wherethey care for animals.
Little bunnies and kittens get adopted very fast.
Sounds like a possibilty. I just checked on PetFinder and ther arealmost 400 bunnies up for adoption in our area. There are 5 littersavaiable.

Most of the places require a drop-off fee. I'm not sure I can affordthat or that I would trust them to find good homesfor the kits.

Contact your local rabbit 4H leader, tell them ifyou take the doe and all, that the kits would be a good raffle for 4Hkids..... see if they are interested.... or if any kids in the areamight want one.

We're probably going to go see her tonight.

If we do bring her home, we'll have to figure out the best housing for her. Cage? Pen?

Any suggestions??

Jim

I am not sure what to do in your situation. I saw once that in Toronto Humane society there was a line up for little kittens.

Just be sure to get her a nesting box.Also, make sure you put her someplace away from things that might scareher. She's in a "delicate" way and the idea that she's goingto be moved might just make her a bit.... nervous?

Good luck.

Oh yeah.... don't forget the camera!!!!!! :p

AnnaS wrote:
Does she need lots of hay to build the nest?
I checked out the HRS site and they say "Lots of hay or straw" for the nest.

I assume that they mean hay like "Horsey hay" and not timothy, right?

I can make a nesting box using guidlines from HRS.

I'm thinking I'll buy a large cage. Big enough for the nesting box, a litterbox, and stretching room for mommie.

Bo: Great idea about the 4H !!!! I'm gonna start looking up numbers right now. Thanks!!!

No problem Jim! We had a leader save alaborador puppy for the 4H kids to do a raffle one year. Itwas the hit of the dog classes! Plus, it raises money fortheir club!

You can do it many ways..... just for the kids or as a promotion fortheir fair. I think a lot of people would enjoy it.Just make sure you print out a bunny guideline for each bunny that getsraffled.... that would help.

OH! and the raffle for the dog had certain rules!

1. Parents must agree and sign the raffle ticket

2. If for any reason the dog was given up, it returned to the breeder.

That rabbit is as good as yours, Jim!

You've probably already figured out how you had to move things around to get it to work out.

Let us know if you need any help. I had gotten a great dealon a dog crate for Cali from Ebay. You might try it forrabbit cages. (Just a thought.) You can usehay/straw as the nest, it doesn't have to be Timothy.

After the first post, I could pretty much tell you were going to followyour heart.You might sleep on it and see how youfeel in the morning.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

AnnaS wrote:
WellTimothy hay is hay. I read on the forum that she needs unlimited foodand water.
I'm thinking that the nest needs to be kept as clean as possible, sothat means changing the bedding often. Also I don't want her to eat anytimothy that might get soiled by using it for the nest. If I use strawor "horsey hay"I can probably pick up a whole bale verycheap. I buy timothy in large bags, but it's kind of expensivecomparitively.

Jim

Bo B Bunny wrote:
......make sure you put her someplace away from things thatmight scare her. She's in a "delicate" way and the idea thatshe's going to be moved might just make her a bit....nervous?

Good luck.

Oh yeah.... don't forget the camera!!!!!! :p

Do you think it would be okay to keep her in our bunnie room?

Our 5 buns share it with our 8 hamsters. Nobody goes in there unless they're tending to the flock.

I'll try to to have her "home" all set up ahead of time, if we decide to bring her home.

Jim

Carolyn wrote:
That rabbit is as good as yours, Jim!

You've probably already figured out how you had to move things around to get it to work out.

Let us know if you need any help. I had gotten a great dealon a dog crate for Cali from Ebay. You might try it forrabbit cages. (Just a thought.) You can usehay/straw as the nest, it doesn't have to be Timothy.

After the first post, I could pretty much tell you were going to followyour heart.You might sleep on it and see how youfeel in the morning.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn
Hi Carolyn,

I guess you got me pretty well figured out. ;)

I like the Wabbitat cages and they are very much like most of the dogcrates. I had a hard time finding the large size Wabbitat when we gotChippy, but she small and is doing well in the smaller size. In thiscase I would probably opt for a dog crate if I can't find the largeWabbitat.

As far as sleeping on it...I'll just lay awake all night thinking about it! ;)

And I'm surprised at you!!! No request for pictures?? :D

Right now I'm thinking about all of those bunnie noses that will need to be kissed :)! **KISS** da noses!!

Jim

Oh Jim, I'm so gladyou happened along and foundus!

Your happy attitude and giving heartmakes me feel like dancin'!

dancingbunny.gif

That bunny is in good hands! :)

RaspberrySwirl

JimD wrote:
Also Idon't want her to eat any timothy that might get soiled by using it forthe nest. If I use straw or "horsey hay"I can probably pickup a whole bale very cheap. I buy timothy in large bags, but it's kindof expensive comparitively.
Timothy is "horsey hay". The bunny is likely to like the "horsey hay"better. At least around here the hay you are referring to wouldprobably be Alfalfa hay which is richer and bunnies like it better ingeneral. You'd probably be better off to get straw which is cheaperthan hay, you could probably contact a local barn and ask for a bale.

P.S.- Why don't you buy timothy hay by the bale? It's cheaper and a lot of times it nicer than the bagged stuff.

Latest posts

Back